*UPDATED- SHOWER CLEANED* NEED SUGGESTIONS: Uber-duty bathroom cleaning products

Dead of Knight

CAGiversary!
Feedback
15 (100%)
This is a weird topic, I know, but I want to do my parents a favor and clean our bathroom because my mom has bad asthma and my dad works his ass off in Cleveland, Ohio, the whole week. It's pretty dirty in there, and I particularly want to focus on the bathtub/shower. Does anyone have any good suggestions on how to get rid of mildew and crap like that, and what products you'd suggest using? Thanks.

How well ventilated is this bathroom? I work for a major grocery retailer and can make some good recommendations. I'm just worried about your mother's asthma. Some of the good products have intense fumes.

Clorox bleach spray. That is what I use to use in my apt. It was awesome. After that, I would do a round with the Teflon spray cleaner. By using the teflon stuff, it was a lot easier the second time around.

Thanks for the suggestions. And her ashtma is fairly bad, but it's not like, "OMG FUMES!!! ::dies::" So she should be ok to go in there after a day or two. We also have a half bath downstairs so washing up will not be a problem even during the cleaning spree upstairs.

Clorox is what I personally use. As far as Mildew, Tilex is great, just make sure you rinse it off well before using the Clorox. Otherwise the resulting fumes can kill! Well... at least burn your nostrils.

Is it just me, or does nothing say clean like a nice bleach smell in the bathroom?

Oh! If you have that lovely build up of stuff on the bathtub or shower floor, you'll have to whip out the Ajax and use some elbow grease to get that stuff off. Just spray alone won't break down weeks of soap scum build up.

For calcium or lime buildup, CLR works pretty good. Throw rust in there too (CLR=Calcium-Lime-Rust) but I don't think it works as well on rust.

And might I say, you are a damn good kid.

[quote name='VelvetHammer']Oh! If you have that lovely build up of stuff on the bathtub or shower floor, you'll have to whip out the Ajax and use some elbow grease to get that stuff off. Just spray alone won't break down weeks of soap scum build up.[/quote]

Phuq. Oh well, I still plan on doing it.

It's mostly soap scum and mildew. Just a shitload of it. Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll probably buy most of the products mentioned here and see what works the best.

Gah, I don't clean my bathroom anymore. My husband is a plumber and he does the uber bathroom cleaning duties. He has some professional cleaning chemicals that are so strong that the fumes make me pass out! But hey, our bathroom is sparkling clean.

My personal preference is Scrubbing Bubbles for the tub/shower. It takes off the most soap scum with the least amount of elbow grease. Spray it on thick and leave it on for half an hour or so, then go back and sponge off the grime.

I got a free sample of those Mr. Clean Magic Erasers. They don't look like much (white sponges), but holy craps did they ever work! They'd be perfect to take mildew and stains out of tile and grout.

I used them to remove some marks on the interior paint and plaster on our house, and it made it look brand new. I'd definitely use them again. No fumes whatsoever with them either.

It's called The Works. Millitary grade bathroom cleaning chemicals. And afterwards put some works in a coke bottle with balls of crumpled aluminum and watch it blow!!

Well, the shower has been cleaned after over 3 hours of work!!! If I took before and after pics, you would have been amazed, but the before pic would have been so embarassing, I decided against it. Here is how it went down:

1. Some Ajax on the dirtiest part got the outer layers of sludge off, leaving the soap scum and mildew to be exterminated.
2. 3 uses of Tilex Mildew got rid of most of it.
3. 3 uses of Tilex Soap Scum got rid of most of it, but not as much as the Tilex Mildew got rid of mildew. So comes the next step....
4. I scrubbed the Tilex Soap Scum into the soap scum that wouldn't come off, and 90% of it came off.
5. Tried some Ajax on the mildew parts that wouldn't come off. It didn't get rid of the mildew but made it easier to get off.
6. I went down on my hands and knees and sprayed Tilex Soap Scum in the tub. My legs burned a little after that, but only for a few minutes. I rinsed them with water and they were ok.
7. I tried some Tilex Mildew on the parts that wouldn't come off but it didn't work as well. 95% of the mildew was gone anyway. Tried some Ajax on it and it worked a little better.
8. I used the Clorox with Teflon foam all over and left the shower and tub pretty clean.

Keep in mind for all of these I rinsed every spray off with water before putting on the next thing. I am highly pleased with the results, and my father, whose birthday is Thursday, will be amazed when gets home from Cleveland Friday night. Thanks for all your help and suggestions; they worked!!!

Perhaps, in more ways than one.

He too, prefers a sparkling clean bathroom:

cheapydclean.jpg

bread's done
Back