Upgrade from regular 360 to an Elite 40$ (YMMV)

dcm1602

CAGiversary!
At Gamestop you can trade in your regular old xbox 360 + a wireless controller for 100$ and get an xbox 360 elite + wireless controller for 140$ (40$ after the 100 for your old)

Basically you can trade in your old beat up xbox 360 for a nice refurbished xbox 360 elite for 40$.

(Both are without hard drives since your old hard drive will work fine in the elite)

Put YMMV since the trade in values may vary.

Figured this deserves its own thread since trading in an old beatup system for an refurbished elite for 40$ is DEFINITELY worth it.

[quote name='Malik112099']Sounds like a shitty deal to me.

Tell you what. I'll make you a deal. I have 2 xbox 360's purchased about 3 years apart. You give me $30 and your 360 and I will randomly pick one of my 2 and send it to you. You don't know the history of either of them or the SKU. You give me money and I give you a random xbox known this gen for dying on people which I may or may not have personally refurbished. Oh and to make yourself feel better I will give you a personal 90 day warranty and you can refer to me as "Gamestop" through the duration of this deal.

This is a moron's deal.[/QUOTE]

Did you read?
If you have one that is already having problems, and you get the extended warranty, this MAY be a deal for you. Of course, you may get shafted, which is why this is YMMV.

[quote name='gi60']lmao.

if you only trade your X360 to GS because it's likely to break soon, do you think other people will trade their X360 in good condition for $ 80 or $ 100 store credit ??? You'll most likely get a POS too since a lot of people are like you, only traded when there is something wrong with it.

And just fyi, Gamestop only refurb a system that being traded as broken system (you'll get $ 40 less the last time I check, so $ 40 store credit for a broken x360). And it's not Microsoft factory refurb.

And the system that they tested for 2 - 5 minutes, is put back straight to their inventory. And most of us know the towel trick right?

Getting $100 credit is very good for your old x360.. but don't use it to buy another POS... use it toward a new system![/QUOTE]

Yeah, like I said...a NEW elite bundle for $150 sounds pretty good. The only other unknown there is, is if you can use the "$50 coupon code/gift card" on the new system itself. You have to buy a system to get it, so I would hope that they just let me instantly apply it towards the system itself...making it less $50.

[quote name='deejayfiggy']Yeah, like I said...a NEW elite bundle for $150 sounds pretty good. The only other unknown there is, is if you can use the "$50 coupon code/gift card" on the new system itself. You have to buy a system to get it, so I would hope that they just let me instantly apply it towards the system itself...making it less $50.[/QUOTE]

You spend $300, you get an elite and $50 credit (the receipt shows you paid $250 for the Elite and $50 for the gift card).

If you already have the 120gb hd, why not just settle for the arcade? This way you are guaranteed a Jasper.

Option 1:

Trade in 360 + $200 = Elite + $50 credit (sell 120gb hd on ebay for $50 after ebay fees...yeah, I just looked, they aren't going for much)
With this option, you are out $150 cash and have a $50 GC to GS

Option 2:

Trade in 360 + $100 = Arcade
Use your current 120gb hd and you essentially have an Elite and are only out $100 cash

If you have the extra credit at GS, then by all means get the elite.

To check if its a Jasper you can just check the power voltage on the back of the system before you buy it.(along with the manufactured date)

[quote name='h2dk']You spend $300, you get an elite and $50 credit (the receipt shows you paid $250 for the Elite and $50 for the gift card).

If you already have the 120gb hd, why not just settle for the arcade? This way you are guaranteed a Jasper.

Option 1:

Trade in 360 + $200 = Elite + $50 credit (sell 120gb hd on ebay for $50 after ebay fees...yeah, I just looked, they aren't going for much)
With this option, you are out $150 cash and have a $50 GC to GS

Option 2:

Trade in 360 + $100 = Arcade
Use your current 120gb hd and you essentially have an Elite and are only out $100 cash

If you have the extra credit at GS, then by all means get the elite.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the breakdown buddy! For some reason, I was thinking that the Arcade DIDN'T have HDMI...that only the elite did. The arcade doesn't come with the 2 games (who cares) and the $50 in credit...but that seems like a better deal. Spend $100 and get a system with HDMI, Jasper, and doesn't sound like a 747 jet airplane when I play it!

I've got a regular 360 with a 20G hard drive. What advantage does the Elite have over the regular 360? I thought you were basically paying for the bigger HD. Does it run quieter or anything? Thanks!

Irukandji is now offering a new service! For $25 i'll come to your house and spray paint your xbox black! BUT WAIT THERES MORE! Is that tasty warranty bugging you? DON'T PANIC! For a limited time I'll void any warranty FOR FREE!

ACT FAST!

Would it be wise to trade in my fairly new Jasper arcade unit for an Elite? My old Halo console went E74 mid-September, so I went out the next day to Best Buy and bought an arcade hands down.

I would like the sleek black console. But the thought "why be stingy and want more when what you have is suting you fine?" comes to mind.

[quote name='5of9']I've got a regular 360 with a 20G hard drive. What advantage does the Elite have over the regular 360? I thought you were basically paying for the bigger HD. Does it run quieter or anything? Thanks![/QUOTE]

Unless you have a really old model without an HDMI port, pretty much none. It's black. The large hard drive is the only real reason to buy it over another model (I think it also comes with a headset for what that's worth).

So yeah, stupid deal. $40 for a swap of paint jobs :p

[quote name='jcp42877']Would it be wise to trade in my fairly new Jasper arcade unit for an Elite? My old Halo console went E74 mid-September, so I went out the next day to Best Buy and bought an arcade hands down.

I would like the sleek black console. But the thought "why be stingy and want more when what you have is suting you fine?" comes to mind.[/QUOTE]

I wouldnt . If you have a fairly new working system stick with it.

Only reason I jumped on this deal is my xbox was close to 5 years old, and starting to freeze up more often than Id like.

I thought about doing this until reading all of the comments. Then I said screw it and bought a new Elite from Amazon for $293 with free shipping and a $50 giftcard. Thanks anyway OP!! :)

[quote name='deejayfiggy'] and doesn't sound like a 747 jet airplane when I play it![/QUOTE]

That has more to do with the FANS in the console than anything else.

There are THREE types:

NIDEC (Quiet)

DC BRUSHLESS - Delta (the ones made in China are the loudest, the ones made in Thailand are so-so) - In any case they are considered the loudest.

Sunon (about same noise as Delta Thailand made - some say they are slightly quieter than Deltas but that seems more of an opinion than real evidence)

You'll know what you got when you look at the back of your console and see what color the stickers are.

If they are all black you have NIDEC...

If the are WHITE and say DC brushless you have DELTAS...

If you have GREEN they are SUNON...

*NOTE* I have read in some forums that the DELTAS seem to push more air out (which is good) than the quiet NIDEC ones...

Thing is there is no REAL hard evidence of this. So unless someone can provide that the only thing we can go by is noise and the NIDECS are the quiet fans.

Thing is in order to land a 360 with them is like playing the lottery. You cant check it ahead of time (before opening the box). There is NO WAY to know 100% for sure, before you open that box what you have.

CHECK OUT THIS VIDEO OF NIDECS VS. DC BRUSHLESS (DELTAS) *I think these Deltas are the ones made in China*:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSXTyW5y8E4

[quote name='Warlock82']Unless you have a really old model without an HDMI port, pretty much none. It's black. The large hard drive is the only real reason to buy it over another model (I think it also comes with a headset for what that's worth).

So yeah, stupid deal. $40 for a swap of paint jobs :p[/QUOTE]

Thanks. that's kinda what i was thinking. i'll hold out and just get a new one down the road.

I'd go for it if i knew how much theyd check it.. Ussually you have to bang on the top of the xbox when the disc loads, and then u have to do it a few times as it says please insert this disc in an xbox 360...

[quote name='Jackie Chandler']Still, guys, you're basically able to extend your current, problematic 360's warranty with this deal if you choose to. For one thing, if you ask to look at the Elite before you buy it, any employee in their right mind would let you. They wouldn't want to lose a sale because of something stupid like that. So take a look at the Elites they have in stock, check the manufacturing dates, overall conditions, etc., THEN determine if this is a good deal or not. Seriously, not EVERYTHING people trade in to GS has something wrong with it. A lot of times people simply aren't happy with a console overall, and see trading it in as an opportunity to get something better with that money.

Besides, if there was something THAT wrong with a 360, people wouldn't take it to Gamestop. They'd plop down the money towards another 360 at Wal-Mart and swap...

Never mind. >_>[/QUOTE]

good luck with that, the serial number on the console you buy is on the receipt(at least it was when i bought mine, didnt get it at walmart tho). so if you try to abuse the liberal returns at walmart, that wont work.

the current gamestop deal could be a good deal for someone with a launch or early model xbox that is dying. mine was made in 2008 and works great.

Do the new one's still have composite cables? I have a launch 360 and it's been freezing up and I was considering doing this when I get paid tomorrow. Is it easy to transfer all my stuff to the new box. As in my arcade games and such?

If you keep your hard drive (which I would, its cheaper) all your arcade games and such will remain on it.

The new one comes with a set of av cables I believe, however the guy let me keep my own composite cables and just trade in the crappy AV cables that come with the new system with my old system trade in.

I have a quick question, since I don't usually trade my stuff at GS.

I have two 360s at the moment, an arcade and an older one where the dvd drive sometimes spontaneously works but usually doesnt. If I trade that one in, would they ask for personal contact information? Or can I rip them off?

[quote name='maxfisher']According to Microsoft's terms, you're required to submit a copy of the purchase receipt if you send in an unregistered console. They also expressly state that their warranty will not apply to consoles that people buy used. You may have gotten lucky, but their terms certainly don't back up what you're saying. And even if Microsoft completely let it slide as you state, you're still basically saying it's only going to work 30% of the time.

So far as I know, the only way for an Xbox warranty to be transferred to a new owner is if the original owner had registered it and calls Microsoft prior to the purchase. I did this when I sold my original Xbox and they gave me a form to fill out with my info and the info of the buyer and transferred the warranty over to him.[/QUOTE]Sorry maybe I was not clear about the 3 of 10 statement. I mean for every 10 systems I have come across 3 aren't registered, this is not from gamestop but from other sources.
I would not buy used from GS ever, I've seen some of their refurbs and what they do to repair them.

When I get xbox's to repair I check to see if they have been registered.
You have to register the console obviously to get repairs without all the information you just stated they need for repairs.
I've not yet been able to get free repairs from a transferred warranty though.

As for fans being loud, there are different types with different power connectors depending on when it was made.
the Xbox 360's that sound like a jet plane is due to the fact that either the GPU or CPU is sensing overheating.
This in turn increases the speed of the fans.
Eventual failure is in the future, but typical issues are freezing and possible graphics issues.
2 Rings may result before 3 rings.

Someone should really update the title or just have this moved. $40 to change the color of your console and likely get a system that is on its last legs or was banned from Live does not seem like much of a deal to me.

[quote name='Harknesss']I have a quick question, since I don't usually trade my stuff at GS.

I have two 360s at the moment, an arcade and an older one where the dvd drive sometimes spontaneously works but usually doesnt. If I trade that one in, would they ask for personal contact information? Or can I rip them off?[/QUOTE]

They require an ID to do the trade-ins, so YES they require personal contact information.

So unless you have a fake ID for getting into the bars or something along those lines, you're going to need to give out your personal info.

As for ripping them off, what do you think this whole thread is seemingly about? It's for people who mainly have dying(or soon to be dying) 360's who want to trade in their ticking time bombs before they are unable to so they can get a working console(possibly).

So go right ahead and trade in your 360 while you can, though if your system is THAT problematic you have to wonder if it's going to even read a disc when they test it. So you may be SOL when they go to test it.

[quote name='dcm1602']If you have an older console thats starting to have problems its a fantastic deal.

Especially if you have an original xbox 360. The original xbox 360s sound like jet engines compared to this thing, dont have hdmi, and run WAY hotter/burn out faster.[/QUOTE]
anyone confirm the sound/heat difference?

i have a launch console, rrod'd 2 times, MS repaired both times for free. it's been my buddy through thick and thin, but i have a 20gig i think (the hard drive reads 13 gig even with everything deleted:cry:), and i don't have the room to install stuff. After an hour of gaming my room is pretty hot and i have to turn the volume up to sound out the actual console whirrringggg

Also, what does licence transferring entail? i only have castle crashers

my 360 was built in agust 06 one month before the new consoles with hdmi were being introduced.
i modded my 360 and then it e74'd on me and sent it to ms. i paid the 100 cause my warranty expired and they sent the same one back to me.

i dunno why people complain with the noises but my 360 doesnt bother me. maybe they gave me a jasper since they had to obviously take the modded driver out.

my 360 has been going strong all these years after that incident of 08 summer. i sitll dont have hdmi tho and is 20 gig
also i buy games :whistle2:#

fuck yeah :cool:

[quote name='Harknesss']If I trade that one in, would they ask for personal contact information? Or can I rip them off?[/QUOTE]

What the fuck people?

[quote name='dcm1602']Manufactured date 9-16-2009 (says right on the back of the unit)

Thats brand new baby

MICROSOFT WARRANTY Expires 03/01/2011[/QUOTE]

If nothing happened to it to get it banned or if it was not modded then that was a deal.

What I saw last night would make me think twice, Dude comes in to a Gamestop I was in (I was getting Devil Summoner 2 for $20) and turns in his 360, gets tested and looked over, it was an Elite. In hearing him talk to his friend as they walked around the store he was turning it in because it was modded and a friend went online with it with a copy of a game. He was dumping it to get money before the next ban wave.

Dude ends up leaving with just the credit, sounded like they were going to another GS to get a new 360. Now the staff didn't hear the dude talking about the mod stuff, they pick up the phone and I hear "We just got an elite in, you still want one? OK, we'll hold it for you."

I'd never by a refurb/used 360 before I saw this due to RROD and being worried that the refurb process voided the warranty, now with the worry of bans it is just another reason not to.

Now if GS was smart they would include banning in their warranty for 360s for an extra cost above the regular warranty and require you to send it in for inspection; placing some security stickers over some strategic spots that are required to be there without damage at inspection time.

I really don't see what the big problem is with this thread, if you have a dying 360, by all means turn it in (a dying 360, not a DEAD one).

As for the whole banned console situation, if it happens, return it to GS and ask for a new one, I'm sure they wouldn't mind, as they'll have lots in stock. In the event they don't (which is what happened to me before), they opened a brand new system and gave it to me.

As for refurb units: REFURB is NOT the same as USED. Refurb units are opened in a factory and are repaired or overhauled in their common failing points (in this case, the X-clamp, which is what causes the RROD). Many times over, the refurb units go through repairs/checks before they are sent back to the store for a resell (as to why it is in a sealed box, as oppose to sitting out in the open).

Used consoles are rarely boxed, and are partically sold as is, which is the worst case scenario. If it's a boxed unit, you have nothing to worry about.

[quote name='OzzySS']Ok so this is what Gamestop told me when I called. When you trade your system in for a refurb, you dont know what you're getting. All the refurbs are sitting in a box sealed until they are sold. They just grab which ever one, and that one is yours. Employees are unable to open the sealed refurb boxed until they are sold. So for all you know you are trading your system in for the exact same 360.

For anyone who has done this already, how did your experience go? How did you KNOW you were getting an elite?[/QUOTE]

I called my gamestop yesterday. They had one elite. Awesome... so I swapped my old one out for the new one!!!! Very exciting:

1. It came wrapped in a clear plastic breifcase.
2. I didn't have to bring my wires in as they aggreed over the phone to just swap them out. I did bring my brinck in since i thought it may be better to have the new one.
3. Paid 3 dollars for my system as I swapped Darksiders in for the PS3.

Now the system:

4. I asked them about banned systems... is this one? They showed me what they did to my system to make sure it was not a banned system. They can tell in about 3 seconds it turns out. So my system was not banned nor was the one I swapped it for.
5. He offered me protection plan I told him yes then changed my mind after he told me the system was built in April of 09 and it still had the RROD warrenty still intact. He also told me that Refurbs are as good as new as they are sent back to the warehouse and all of the known common problems are fixed and extremely well tested before they get boxed back up and reshipped to the stores.

Its home:

6. OMG its sooooo quiet.
7. I had one issue. I used to have the Gamestop HDMI converter box on my old system. It also had a Optical input on the box. I left it at Gamestop because i didn't think i needed it. Turns out I did and I am going to pick that up today. Not sure if it will work but its identical almost to the one Microsoft sells with their HDMI cord so it shoudl work.
8. Color is brilliant... Much better and real HD compared to the old conversion box i was using from Gamestop converter box listed above.

Last edited by a moderator:
Would probably jump on this but gamestop said they can't tell if is an Elite on the inside of the box or not. The also said that they are not willing to open the box up and check. Lame

[quote name='wild21crazy']Would probably jump on this but gamestop said they can't tell if is an Elite on the inside of the box or not. The also said that they are not willing to open the box up and check. Lame[/QUOTE]

I had to call two gamestops to find one. The one I purchased was in a clear plastic sealed case. so in alot of instances they can tell

[quote name='tattoojeep']I had to call two gamestops to find one. The one I purchased was in a clear plastic sealed case. so in alot of instances they can tell[/QUOTE]
That's not really a lot of instances...

[quote name='Traitorious']That's not really a lot of instances...[/QUOTE]

They had 6 in stock so I asked if I could have the newest one. the one that seemed to be the newest and came with a black controller and not the red one. The other store didn't have any Elites but they had the White ones also in clear plastic containers

ok i have a xbox that i think might be dying (my third) I need a new controller and want a 120 gig hd... Do you think I should do the trade in deal and get a new elite or buy a arcade and then buy a 120 gig hd

what do you think?

[quote name='reltoolman']ok i have a xbox that i think might be dying (my third) I need a new controller and want a 120 gig hd... Do you think I should do the trade in deal and get a new elite or buy a arcade and then buy a 120 gig hd

what do you think?[/QUOTE]

Both. The elite you get from GS won't have a 120 hdd. Trade in your dying 360 for a nice black one and buy a new hdd.

[quote name='reltoolman']ok i have a xbox that i think might be dying (my third) I need a new controller and want a 120 gig hd... Do you think I should do the trade in deal and get a new elite or buy a arcade and then buy a 120 gig hd

what do you think?[/QUOTE]

Also if you have an older beat up controller (like I did) you should trade that in since the elite comes with one.

I'm not thinking refub elite

option 1) New Elite $199 after trade

option 2) arcade 120 hard drive $100 then hard drive price ? $120

i guess elite i just want to make sure i don't get an old chip Elite

[quote name='reltoolman']I'm not thinking refub elite

option 1) New Elite $199 after trade

option 2) arcade 120 hard drive $100 then hard drive price ? $120

i guess elite i just want to make sure i don't get an old chip Elite[/QUOTE]

I don't think they sell 120gb stand alone anymore. I looked and can't find them.

My pro console just E74'ed so I sent it in for free. The thing is, when I get it back I don't know if I'll want it. I'd rather have a new one. How much does GS give cash for a 360? I have a 20gb and 120gb HDD but when I get a new one I'd like an Elite just for the black. Maybe I'll just sell everything I have and buy a new Elite since they come with Jaspers now.

[quote name='timshady87']I don't think they sell 120gb stand alone anymore. I looked and can't find them.

My pro console just E74'ed so I sent it in for free. The thing is, when I get it back I don't know if I'll want it. I'd rather have a new one. How much does GS give cash for a 360? I have a 20gb and 120gb HDD but when I get a new one I'd like an Elite just for the black. Maybe I'll just sell everything I have and buy a new Elite since they come with Jaspers now.[/QUOTE]

Well gamestop and newegg both have deals on the elite right now that you get a 50$ gift card + 2 free games (lego batman and pure I think ?).

And the 20$ bonus trade in on systems is only until the 24th I believe also

[quote name='dcm1602']Well gamestop and newegg both have deals on the elite right now that you get a 50$ gift card + 2 free games (lego batman and pure I think ?).

And the 20$ bonus trade in on systems is only until the 24th I believe also[/QUOTE]

The 2 free games came with the Holiday 2009 360 Elite bundle(that I returned a couple of days ago to GS)and GS has been doing the $50 giftcard when you buy an Elite deal for a bit. It's running from the 15th to the 21st and they deduct $50 from the price of the 360(making it $249.99) and charge you for the $50 gift card.:roll:

Chinatown Wars Cheats!

http://toucharcade.com/2010/01/22/grand-theft-auto-chinatown-wars-cheats-revealed/

Each of these cheats are entered by moving the magnetic letters around on the mission replay board to spell out the various cheats. These mission replay boards can be found inside of any safe house.
Entering any of these codes will change your weapon load out:
LOADOA – Grenade, nightstick, pistol, minigun, assault rifle, micro SMG, and stubby shotgun.
LOADOB – Molotov, tazer, dual pistols, flamethrower, carbine, SMG, and dual-barrel shotgun.
LOADOC – Mine, chainsaw, revolver, flamethrower, carbine, SMG, and dual-barrel shotgun.
LOADOD – Flashbang, bat, pistol, RPG, carbine, micro SMB and stubby shotgun.

Entering these codes have other effects:
CASHIN – Grants $10,000 extra cash.
LIFEUP – Refills your life to full.
SHELLY – Refills your armor to full.
TRIPPY – Unknown
COPIN – Raises your wanted level by 1 star.
COPOUT – Lowers your wanted level by 1 star.
A cheat is successfully entered when the letters return to their original position and a message is displayed at the bottom of the screen. Other cheats are actively being searched for in this thread on our forums and for more information on Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars, check out our review.

bread's done
Back