Upgrade to slim PS2 for $40 worth it?

davyd

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
With the current GS weekly coupon, it is possible to trade in an original PS2 and get a used slim for $40. I don't play our PS2 very often at all, but my girlfriend does. This is why I don't know much about the different between the original and slim. I did some research on the subject, but it seems that there were actually features removed from the slim version, is this correct?

I should also point out that the only reason my girlfriend wants a slim is because our gamestop has a used silver one. :roll:

Anyway, worth the $40?

Slim PS2 has the HDD option removed but added network capability. It's virtually silent.

Keep in mind you can get a brand new slim for $99 at Target this week.

Depending on the trade-in value of your phat plus the $20 bonus coupon and the cost of a used slim, you may want to consider leaving the credit here for future games and picking up a brand new slim from Target instead.

I didn't know about the target sale, thanks. Definitely makes it somewhat more tempting to get a new system rather than used.

It's a launch system. Never had any problems with it, but sometimes it gets kind of loud. It just started doing that about a year ago if I recall.

Another quick question, does anyone know if GS requires a memory card when trading in a PS2? If so I'd also have to buy a memory card before trading in so she doesn't lose all of her save data.

[quote name='davyd']Another quick question, does anyone know if GS requires a memory card when trading in a PS2? If so I'd also have to buy a memory card before trading in so she doesn't lose all of her save data.[/quote]

Nope. PS2 didn't have one packed in and is not 'required' for play, so they don't require one for trade-ins.

I upgraded to a slim after my launch unit finally gave up its ghost. Its totally worth having around. Won't have to worry about any backwards compatibility when I finally get a PS3. And its so small. I'd be tempted to get it new though.

i dont trust buying used systems. If you are getting a used ps3 or wii or xbox 360 and it is much less than a new system, then be sure to get the extended warranty so if it DOES break you are fine.

[quote name='dracula']i dont trust buying used systems. If you are getting a used ps3 or wii or xbox 360 and it is much less than a new system, then be sure to get the extended warranty so if it DOES break you are fine.[/quote]

The majority of 360 owners end up owning a used system within 6 months anyway. Otherwise I agree with your statement.

[quote name='Surferflames']The majority of 360 owners end up owning a used system within 6 months anyway. Otherwise I agree with your statement.[/quote]

Oh, it's not that bad - I made it 1.4 years until I got the RRoD, and only because I downloaded the Spring '07 update!

$40, that's tempting. So is the $100 new one, too.

I've been thinking about dumping my phat w/ the HDD, just because with it it takes forever to boot. Would clear some space, too.

[quote name='davyd']With the current GS weekly coupon, it is possible to trade in an original PS2 and get a used slim for $40. I don't play our PS2 very often at all, but my girlfriend does. This is why I don't know much about the different between the original and slim. I did some research on the subject, but it seems that there were actually features removed from the slim version, is this correct?

I should also point out that the only reason my girlfriend wants a slim is because our gamestop has a used silver one. :roll:

Anyway, worth the $40?[/quote]

Supposedly, Best Buy is offering a $40 gift card when you try to PM the Target deal this week. I'm assuming it's when you buy a PS2 at the normal price and they won't allow you to grab the PS2 AND use the GC. But, I'm sure some have tried to return the PS2 bought without returning the GC and then rebuy the PS2 and use the $40 GC on the other one, thus making it around $90 before tax for a new PS2.

bread's done
Back