to
(Thank you intel!)
Intel i7 920
intel x58so
12gb ddr3
500gb hdd
4870x2
windows vista ultimate 64 bit

Anyone here have the 920 and speak on real world results not benchmarking numbers but actual performance. I feel like my 4870x2 will open up alot more with a 920 and 12gb ddr3.

I upgraded from e6750 to i7 920 not too long ago. I saw minimal performance increase, even going from a single 4870 1GB to two 4870 1GB crossfired. I don't play very intensive games, just TF2 and COD4. So I'm really talking about going from 90fps to 100fps after the upgrade. Don't ask why I upgraded, but giving the hefty price for the upgrade with less than stellar performance increase, I often don't recommend it.

IT depends on the game and whether it is CPU bound or GPU bound. The latter is not going to see much change if it was running adequately before.

Stuff that will see a real gain, besides those recently produced with the latest compilers using i7 optimizations, are those heavily threaded that can take advantage of the 8-way threading support. Apps that don't know what to do with more than 2 cores or more than four hardware threads are going to get much boost.

I know of one app for doing highly complex mapping of RF behavior over topological map data that gets a major boost from the Core i7. It runs as fast on a 920 as it did on a dual quad-core Xeon system that cost five times as much when it was the high-end workstation option. So that reduction in cost is a huge win if you have the right app.

My bro has a 4.3GHz 8400 w/ a GTX 260 and that runs fine for him. I'd wait a little more for the i7 buy in price to go down at this point.

Personally I'd upgrade your storage at this point since that's the only weak link I really see there. Samsung F1 is 85 or Caviar Black 1TB at 95.

"thank you intel" because they gave it to you for free? if not, dumb move. very dumb. ridiculous amount of money to spend (mobo, overpriced proc, overpriced OS, more RAM than necessary) for a negligible speed boost that will be completely nonexistent in 99% of what you do

[quote name='Koggit']"thank you intel" because they gave it to you for free? if not, dumb move. very dumb. ridiculous amount of money to spend (mobo, overpriced proc, overpriced OS, more RAM than necessary) for a negligible speed boost that will be completely nonexistent in 99% of what you do[/QUOTE]

For once, I agree with Koggit.

Unless you got that stuff for cheap or free, then I can't see why you upgraded. The 8400 is already a fast chip and you gained nothing but some useless backup software in Vista Ultimate. I doubt you'll notice very much increase at all in most games. You should be close to maxing most everything out on your previous system. Games are only going to go so fast...

I would advise the OP to not get the Intel DX58SO board. The RAM slots on it are just too weird. Whereas most X58 boards have a full 6 RAM slots, this one only has 4. And if you want to run in triple channel mode (who wouldn't) you can only use 3 of those 4 on that board. As soon as you use the fourth, it drops to single channel mode killing your memory bandwidth. With 6 slots, you can use 3 or 6 and still be in full triple channel mode.

More important though is that as others have noted, going from an E8400 to a 920 is a waste! If you are doing serious video encoding, maybe, but your everyday usage and gaming will net no increase. I went to a 920 myself, but I was jumping from a much older P4 3.0HT when I did. You are best served by waiting another year or so.

Cost of the i7 chip, mobo, and vista ultimate also a with a free voucher to upgrade to windows 7 64 bit is going to cost 289 so I could not pass up the deal.

Hell I can sell my e8400 mobo ram for about the same price. Im not losing at all and figured to break even why not upgrade.

Not to sound rude, but you made this thread because...?

I made it because I asked a question if you read my post but you and other just rushed to shoot me down for some reason.

and you're not gonna share how you can get it for $289? i know i probably dont qualify/eligible for whatever deal it is, or whether its new or used parts, but im just curious :)

I know my system is fast and runs any game i want it too it's just im not thinking of games now im thinking of newer games coming out like crysis 2 and stuff.

[quote name='s2k']I know my system is fast and runs any game i want it too it's just im not thinking of games now im thinking of newer games coming out like crysis 2 and stuff.[/QUOTE]

... then wait until those games comes out... and by then you will realize that you probably won't need to upgrade anyways.

If you're so rich you just don't give a damn, then you should find another forum. Otherwise listen to Koggit because that build is just a huge waste of money.

[quote name='s2k']I know my system is fast and runs any game i want it too it's just im not thinking of games now im thinking of newer games coming out like crysis 2 and stuff.[/QUOTE]

your GPUs are the bottleneck in your current system and they'll be the bottleneck in the new system..

even if you break even financially, which i find unlikely, it's hardly worth the couple hours effort (and risk) involved in installation / setup.

bread's done
Back