Upgrading Video Card Question

jkam

CAGiversary!
Feedback
262 (100%)
I just got a new video card for my XP machine. I'm updating to the new card from on board graphics. I know installing the card will be a snap but my question is what do I do about the old on board video? Do I disable in device manager or should I also do so in the bios? I'm guessing I would test and make sure the new card works first before doing anything to the old one. If anyone can give me a heads up that would appreciated.

You really should not have to disable anything. It should be plug and play.

If i remember correctly on my old mobo's, you were allowed to disable onboard video. Worst case I think you can select your new pci card as the first boot device in the bios.

[quote name='guyver2077']You really should not have to disable anything. It should be plug and play.

If i remember correctly on my old mobo's, you were allowed to disable onboard video. Worst case I think you can select your new pci card as the first boot device in the bios.[/QUOTE]

Well after some internet reading I assumed that by disabling the on board video the system would get a speed increase since the ram doesn't have to provide power for video. I realize the card should be easy enough to install and get working but I didn't want to disable the on board without making sure the new card is working. I guess I should just check my bios as if its the first device I shouldn't have to disable anything like you said.

don't disable onboard video, xp doesn't commit resources to onboard video when you have a video card, so any performance gains are negligible.
If you are even able to disable onboard video, it could create a hassle down the road if you need to pull your video card for any reason since you wouldn't have any video at all.

[quote name='vherub']don't disable onboard video, xp doesn't commit resources to onboard video when you have a video card, so any performance gains are negligible.
If you are even able to disable onboard video, it could create a hassle down the road if you need to pull your video card for any reason since you wouldn't have any video at all.[/QUOTE]

Ok good to know...thanks.

[quote name='jkam'][quote name='vherub']don't disable onboard video, xp doesn't commit resources to onboard video when you have a video card, so any performance gains are negligible.
If you are even able to disable onboard video, it could create a hassle down the road if you need to pull your video card for any reason since you wouldn't have any video at all.[/quote]Ok good to know...thanks.[/quote]

Windows will still use resources to at least recognize the onboard video card after you'd install the other card and you'd be running two cards according to the Windows device manager.

Also, onboard video uses memory from your system; a separate card has its own memory. You're not going to get a "speed increase" from having more memory available to you but it will be useful to memory-intensive tasks for preventing sluggishness and program crashes.

Your motherboard's BIOS should have an option to disable onboard video; if you're going to look into that then you'd have to find a manual for your motherboard.

I'm not stating that leaving onboard video on will give you problems but I'm posting this so you'll have a better idea of things.

bread's done
Back