UPS lost my Amazon return

tornadog

CAGiversary!
So I had requested a return on the Xbox One I got from Amazon. They emailed me the prepaid label and packing slip. I packed it all up and dropped it at the local UPS store on Monday 12/30. I checked the status yesterday and the tracking says the item is at the store. So I called the store, who said UPS picked it up from the store Monday itself. He contacted the hub who said they will investigate. Last evening they called saying they still have not located it and still checking. Amazon sent me a mail saying they are processing the refund since the package is in the carrier's hands. And it will be back in my card in 3-5 business days.The ETA is 1/7.

So what happens if UPS is not able to locate the package. Will Amazon cancel the return and bill me for the amount. Will I have to start a claim with UPS or is it Amazon's responsibility since they are technically the shipper.

Last edited by a moderator:
You'll be fine. If they've already begun processing the refund they're not going to undo it. You'll get your money back and they will write it off according to their contract with UPS.

Yeah, it's really LAME that returns are done through UPS, with no choice in the matter.
If the return is on Amazon's dime - who cares what service they use? As long as you go into that UPS store and get the receipt saying you dropped it off, Amazon will have your back.

If you want to return something on your own dime, you're free to use a service of your choosing.

As long as they see the package left your possession and is en-route to Amazon, that's all they need to see.  Even if that shows it's at the local UPS Store and that they accepted it for shipment, the issue is off of you.

However, if it did show up and it wasn't the item in question (supposedly returned a laptop and you sent a box of bricks), they'll bill you for the wrong item.   Otherwise, you're good.

Last edited by a moderator:
So I had requested a return on the Xbox One I got from Amazon. They emailed me the prepaid label and packing slip. I packed it all up and dropped it at the local UPS store on Monday 12/30. I checked the status yesterday and the tracking says the item is at the store. So I called the store, who said UPS picked it up from the store Monday itself. He contacted the hub who said they will investigate. Last evening they called saying they still have not located it and still checking. Amazon sent me a mail saying they are processing the refund since the package is in the carrier's hands. And it will be back in my card in 3-5 business days.The ETA is 1/7.

So what happens if UPS is not able to locate the package. Will Amazon cancel the return and bill me for the amount. Will I have to start a claim with UPS or is it Amazon's responsibility since they are technically the shipper.
UPS is literally finding TRAILERS full of packages not yet delivered (parked up to weeks ago in their lots but mistakenly - never unloaded...)

so Amazon will take care of you as others have stated and the package will most likely still be delivered....

It all depends on who was responsible (paid) for the return shipping, i.e. also responsible for getting and claiming the insurance.

If Amazon sent you/paid for the return label, then it’s all on them.

If you had to pay for the return shipping you might be responsible. I returned a phone to T-Mobile three years ago (within the 30 days trial period) and I was responsible for the shipping cost. I used UPS and they lost the package. I told T-Mobile and showed them proof that I shipped it and UPS lost it but they still held me responsible. Luckily I had purchased insurance, and UPS gave me a check covering the cost of the phone and refunded me my shipping fees as well.

bread's done
Back