US Crew Retakes Vessel From Pirates UPDATE: Captain Still Held?

Quillion

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/7990566.stm
Unnamed US defence officials said one pirate had been captured by the crew of the Maersk Alabama, seized earlier in the Indian Ocean.

But the vessel's Danish owners, Maersk, said they could not confirm that the crew had fought off the pirates. It was the sixth ship seized off Somalia in recent days. The Associated Press quoted a defence official as saying: "The crew is back in control of the ship. It's reported that one pirate is on board under crew control - the other three were trying to flee." Reports suggest the other three pirates jumped overboard.

Maersk's chief executive, John Reinhart, said he could not confirm that the ship had been retaken, but told AFP news agency he believed the crew was safe.

The ship was attacked by several small boats in the early hours of Wednesday in an incident apparently lasting for about five hours. Maritime officials said the vessel took all possible evasive action before it reported that the pirates had boarded. More than 130 pirates attacks, including close to 50 successful hijackings, were reported in 2008, threatening one of the world's busiest shipping lanes.
Do we still hang pirates?

UPDATE: http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D97EEIJO0&show_article=1
NAIROBI, Kenya (AP) - The American crew of a hijacked U.S.-flagged ship retook control of the vessel from Somali pirates Wednesday but the captain was still being held hostage, according to Pentagon officials and a member of the crew. The crew member told The Associated Press that the 20-member crew had managed to seize one pirate and then successfully negotiate their own release.

The man, who picked up the ship's satellite phone but did not identify himself, told the AP in a brief conversation that the crew had retaken control of the ship and the pirates were in a lifeboat. But the man also said that they were holding the ship's captain hostage.

The news came hours after Pentagon officials said the crew had retaken the vessel from the Somali pirates who seized it far off the Horn of Africa.
Does that mean they took the captain off the ship? This is so confusing. Look for the Movie of the Week in a year or two...

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Quillion']Do we still hang pirates?[/quote]

Because it is an easy, cheap joke when misconstrued...

Only certain types of pirates.

[quote name='Quillion']Do we still hang pirates?[/QUOTE]

in this day and age, sadly we do not. Still good news either way. The merchant marines were actually useful.......never thought I would see the day

I wonder how many more hijacks there will be like this before someone in the world decides to step up security in this area? This is a bit absurd that nearly every week this happens. You'd think these shipping companies would hire private contracted security just to prevent things like this from happening if they saw the threat was there.

Its a scary feeling when you know pirates are aboard your ship. You know you're about to either lose your ship or lose your anal virginity, but either way it won't be pretty.

[quote name='mtxbass1']I wonder how many more hijacks there will be like this before someone in the world decides to step up security in this area? This is a bit absurd that nearly every week this happens. You'd think these shipping companies would hire private contracted security just to prevent things like this from happening if they saw the threat was there.[/QUOTE]

The problem has to outweigh the cost before such decisions are made. And there are legal issues to be considered. Such things used to be clear cut but the hand wringers have made it far more difficult to simply shoot pirates if they attempt to board.

Most of these ships have very small crews. Automation has made it possible to get by with what would have once been considered an absurdly small number of personnel to manage the ship at sea.

This has been building for a long time. This book: http://www.amazon.com/Looking-Ship-...r_1_25?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1239213488&sr=1-25

came out almost 20 years ago and discusses the growing problem of shrinking crews vs. pirates back then. The existence of failed nations like Somalia only added to the problem.

It's a shame that our government has apparently forgotten the mission for which the US Marine Corps was created.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='mtxbass1']I wonder how many more hijacks there will be like this before someone in the world decides to step up security in this area? This is a bit absurd that nearly every week this happens. You'd think these shipping companies would hire private contracted security just to prevent things like this from happening if they saw the threat was there.[/QUOTE]

countrys have already stepped up patrols in the region. but the ocean is a big place, you cant have patrols everywhere.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']countrys have already stepped up patrols in the region. but the ocean is a big place, you cant have patrols everywhere.[/quote]

Understood. But you can have your own security on board the ship you own, especially in International waters.

One would think it would be cheaper to spend the money to hire private security to deter the threat, than it would be to keep paying these ransoms. Epobirs, like usual, makes some good points though.

In international waters, isn't it anything goes.....in which case, why aren't these ships armed with enough small arms to repel an attack? That what I wanna know.

And not knowing a thing about maritime law...thats why I'm asking :D

[quote name='mtxbass1']
One would think it would be cheaper to spend the money to hire private security to deter the threat, than it would be to keep paying these ransoms. Epobirs, like usual, makes some good points though.[/QUOTE]

security would help, and im some ships already have a type of armed security, but from what ive seen these pirates are very heavily armed. a dozen pirates with automatic machine guns and rpgs will quickly take over a ship with 2 or 3 armed guards.

Plus, don't you lose some protection as a "merchant ship" if you arm yourself? Flying under a flag of a country you have that navy's protection. You might lose that if you travel armed.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']security would help, and im some ships already have a type of armed security, but from what ive seen these pirates are very heavily armed. a dozen pirates with automatic machine guns and rpgs will quickly take over a ship with 2 or 3 armed guards.[/quote]

Yeah, but they are riding in rickety little boats. One rocket to the hull and they're done for.

[quote name='Anexanhume']Yeah, but they are riding in rickety little boats. One rocket to the hull and they're done for.[/quote]

A lot of these pirates are now using speed boats that make Miami drug runners envious...

[quote name='mtxbass1']A lot of these pirates are now using speed boats that make Miami drug runners envious...[/quote]

They've got more to lose then. At some point, it's going to reach a threshold where it is not worth the risks involved for them.

I find this odd that the pirates bothered taking a hostage... I mean they clearly lost the goal of capturing the ship or it's content and fairly soon the Navy will be out there mopping things up.

These aren't terrorists, to these pirates it is all about profit. If they get captured or killed, they don't get the chance to try again. So I really wonder, if they had a method of escape, why the even bothered taking the captain hostage.

[quote name='depascal22']You take a hostage when all else goes wrong. Less likely to get blasted when you're holding someone.[/quote]

Yeah, but obviously the ship didn't have much or any security at all and it would be many hours before the navy could arrive. They could have easily jumped shipped and vanished into thin air.

[quote name='Anexanhume']They've got more to lose then. At some point, it's going to reach a threshold where it is not worth the risks involved for them.[/quote]

Tell that to the pirates who make $3 million or more for a single ship ransom. To them, the rewards far outweigh the risks. I've read numerous reports about how entire pirate towns are created and supported off of these sums.

[quote name='Cracka']can we not just send a ship out there and start blasting pirate boats?[/quote]
It's not as if they fly the Jolly Roger, they're in fishing boats up until they spot something to take, and then they hop in little skiffs or motorboats.

You wouldn't know who to blast.

[quote name='Quillion']It's not as if they fly the Jolly Roger, they're in fishing boats up until they spot something to take, and then they hop in little skiffs or motorboats.

You wouldn't know who to blast.[/QUOTE]

No but you load up a boat that is posing as a merchant ship with about 100 guys with rocket launchers and just patrol blasting any little boat that tries to start shit

How about every time pirates take a ship we take a coastal Somali village hostage. They have to come from somewhere right? Is that evil?
yes

[quote name='Cracka']No but you load up a boat that is posing as a merchant ship with about 100 guys with rocket launchers and just patrol blasting any little boat that tries to start shit[/quote]
That's a good plan.

Take some old merchant ships that are due to go to the scrap yard and give 'em a quick makeover with fresh paint and such, load 'em full of C4, TNT, and gasoline, strap an autopilot on 'em and let the pirates try and take them. KABOOM!

[quote name='HeadRusch']In international waters, isn't it anything goes.....in which case, why aren't these ships armed with enough small arms to repel an attack? That what I wanna know.

And not knowing a thing about maritime law...thats why I'm asking :D[/quote]

Ship captains are afraid of mutiny.

Captain jumped off the lifeboat last night but was re-captured. And now the pirates friends are sending OTHER seized ships with hostages to the scene as reinforcements.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30149443

MOGADISHU, Somalia - The American captain held hostage by four Somali pirates made a desperate escape attempt Friday but was recaptured after they fired shots, and officials said other pirates sought to reinforce their colleagues by sailing hijacked ships with other captives aboard to the scene of the standoff.

The pirates don't sound too intelligent from what I've read. Must have Jack Sparrow leading them.

Should have happened Friday when he jumped out the first time. But it's still good that the captain made it.

[quote name='joe2187']Actual Footage from the takeover!!![/quote]

I knew there was a reason I never saw that movie... Now, I know.

It really makes you wonder what went on when those seals overtook the lifeboat and rescued him. I seriously picture a team of 4 seals just appearing up from out of the water and blasting the shit out of those guys when there was any sign that they could take them out and not kill the hostage.

[quote name='mtxbass1']It really makes you wonder what went on when those seals overtook the lifeboat and rescued him. I seriously picture a team of 4 seals just appearing up from out of the water and blasting the shit out of those guys when there was any sign that they could take them out and not kill the hostage.[/QUOTE]

Seals overtook the lifeboat? The only account I've read is that snipers simply took out the pirates when it looked like the captain's life was in danger. Anyway-

Hell yeah! fuck you pirates!!! Who's laughing now?

They were navy seal snipers..

The funny thing is this, however: How come all it takes is a skiff full of lightly armed skinny dudes to take over pretty much any ship at sea.....and then governments claim to be helpless to stop the problem?

Didn't any of them see FFOLKES!?!?

[quote name='keithp']Seals overtook the lifeboat? The only account I've read is that snipers simply took out the pirates when it looked like the captain's life was in danger. Anyway-

Hell yeah! fuck you pirates!!! Who's laughing now?[/quote]

Early news reports just said that seals overtook the boat. It was later determined when they were pressing an AK against the captains back that the snipers took them all out.

Who knew the Navy had snipers.

The more you know... ;)

Oops, looks like somebody woke the sleeping dog........ :)

They should have known better than to take an American hostage. We simply don't negotiate with terrorists, and if they didn't already know that.....well, it's too late now I suppose.

You know, I was wondering why they didn't call in Snipers earlier.

But oh well, I am really glad the navy was able to save the poor guy.

They shot all three bad guys in the head and rescued the guy?

16729-25G5ZIS.gif

[quote name='Chuplayer']They shot all three bad guys in the head and rescued the guy?

16729-25G5ZIS.gif
[/quote]

Yup, shot three dead and captured the fourth pirate.

[quote name='mtxbass1']Early news reports just said that seals overtook the boat. It was later determined when they were pressing an AK against the captains back that the snipers took them all out.

Who knew the Navy had snipers.

The more you know... ;)[/QUOTE]

SEAL snipers FTW

[quote name='darthbudge']Yup, shot three dead and captured the fourth pirate.[/quote]

He wasn't all too hard to capture when he was on board a US ship trying to negotiate with us... lol

[quote name='mtxbass1']He wasn't all too hard to capture when he was on board a US ship trying to negotiate with us... lol[/quote]

Oh. :lol:

I didn't realize that.

bread's done
Back