Use same account on 2 PS3s

strizay

CAG Newbie
If I have 2 PS3's in my house can I have them both use the same user account and download games so that both systems have them?

[quote name='strizay']If I have 2 PS3's in my house can I have them both use the same user account and download games so that both systems have them?[/QUOTE]

I have my profile which is tied to the same PSN account on two different PS3's.

I can't remember if i download something on one if it is on the other but I know if I download something using my PSN account I can access it on both PS3's and redownload it later.

Only the Vita restricts you to one account

My son had a Vita with a PSN account but somehow he lost his Vita. I'm going to be getting both of us a PS3 soon and I wanted to use the info he used for PSN with his Vita. It will be his account but I am getting the new white super slim with the 12 free game bonuses and I want him to have some of those free games too on his.

[quote name='strizay']My son had a Vita with a PSN account but somehow he lost his Vita. I'm going to be getting both of us a PS3 soon and I wanted to use the info he used for PSN with his Vita. It will be his account but I am getting the new white super slim with the 12 free game bonuses and I want him to have some of those free games too on his.[/QUOTE]

I'm not 100% positive but if you have two PS3's you should both be able to create profiles. In fact the profiles you do create don't even need to be the same on each PS3. But if you have Profile A on both PS3's and it is tied to your PSN account then he would just have to play under your profile but he would have access to the games.. on both machines. I have an upstairs and downstairs Playstation 3 and I am able to download and play my games from my PS+ subscription on both machines.

However if it matters to him he won't be able to play the games on his profile and earn trophies tied to his account.

Unless their is a work around I'm not aware of

Edit: And ouch.... a vita is an expensive piece of hardware to lose.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean.

1. white PS3 set up account using his Vita info
2. set up second PS3 using same info

Now both PS3's have the same user account info.

3. Download a free game ex. LBP 2 to the white PS3
4. When white PS3 finishes download, download LBP2 to second PS3

Yeah, it was really bad when he lost it back in Sept. It had the 32GB card and he had Modnation Racers in it. I only got it for him that March. So he only had it for 6 months.

Yes, what you want to do is create a new primary account with its own gamertag for the 2nd PS3 so that when it boots up it will load that profile, this will also let people play online games at the same time on both PS3s. Then create a 2nd profile on the new PS3 and use that second profile to log into your original, old account and download games to the new console from your download list. Then you can take the password off the second profile (so they can't buy games, rent movies, etc.) and as long as that 2nd profile is on the new PS3, you can play any of those games while booted up in the new, primary profile.

Prior to a certain date, you could gameshare a game on up to 5 separate systems, but after a certain date you can only gameshare between 2 systems. As long as you have not owned a previous PS3, you should be fine. One thing which cannot be shared is video rights, any movies you rent or purchase can only be watched on one system.

so what you're saying is create a different main account on the 2nd PS3, but also create a profile using the shared info and it will let me download all the games that are linked to the shared profile. But will the main profile be able to play the games that are downloaded by the shared profile, even online? Will I need PS+ for the main account and the shared account? The shared account will already have PS+.

I really appreciate the you help you are both giving me. I haven't owned a PS3 since right before they started PS+.

As long as the user who has the rights to the games is a user on the console, then any other user on the console can play them. I have profiles set up for the US, Japan, Hong Kong, and Europe and my US profile can play any of the PS3 games I've downloaded from those other profiles.

[quote name='strizay']so what you're saying is create a different main account on the 2nd PS3, but also create a profile using the shared info and it will let me download all the games that are linked to the shared profile. But will the main profile be able to play the games that are downloaded by the shared profile, even online? Will I need PS+ for the main account and the shared account? The shared account will already have PS+.

I really appreciate the you help you are both giving me. I haven't owned a PS3 since right before they started PS+.[/QUOTE]
Yep, as long as you don't delete the second profile linked to your original account (though I would instruct it not to auto-login when you boot up the second profile if you worry about him buying stuff or accessing M-rated games on your download list, depending how young your son is), he can play all the shared games while logged onto the main account on the 2nd PS3.

I'm probably going to be picking up my PS3 next week and I just thought of something else. With the 360 you can transfer your profile to another 360 by usb drive and then use your profile there. Can you do something similar with the PS3? Transfer the profile I was talking about above to a usb drive and then transfer it to the other PS3, and then download the games and content with that profile to the second PS3? Instead of having to re enter all the information again to the second PS3.

Just create your main account on the new system, when you sign in you need to go to your downloads and anything you purchased on that account will be available to download to the new system. As far as i know you cant install game back ups from one system to another just unprotected save files, the cloud service is great for saves though.

As the others said you can only download games from the same account onto two systems at a time. Any other account that is signed in on your ps3 will have access to anything that has been installed on that system. This is great because we have 2 systems and any digital games that i have purchased like LBP my kids can play together using their own accounts.

Sorry for bumping an old thread.  I don't have any PS gaming device, but I'm trying to learn more about the PS ecosystem.  The info here was really helpful.

My questions:

- does this work with multiplayer games that require online passes? (e.g., can both consoles play BF3 multiplayer?)

- will all this still work on the PS4?

- I assume you would need to purchase 3 PS+ subscriptions with the PS4 for multiplayer games, correct?  (one for the shared profile, and one each for both of the main accts on each console)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, it does work for multiplayer games that require online passes on the PS3.

I don't even know if Sony announced yet how that will work for PS4, and I don't care to speculate.

bread's done
Back