Used 360 Hd-DVD Add-On Experiences? Future Deals?

Hockey37

CAGiversary!
Feedback
28 (100%)
Has anyone purchased a used 360 HD-DVD add-on? Has the reliability been good? I haven't heard any negative stories regarding failure, so these seem fairly reliable.

Unfortunatly I missed the CC promotion with the 2 free movies, as it was yesterday that my new TV was ordered. Does anyone else know of any upcoming future deals? The CC $40 off $199 coupon seems to be on its last leg based on several posts.

Right now I'm looking at a used unit @ EB/GS for $150 minus 10% Edge minus 10% Game Informer coupon minus trade in value on 3 360 headsets and small remote. Does this seem like the way to go?

I'm not interested in the King Kong DVD and the remote that comes bundled with the new drive, hence me ruling out a new unit unless a nice deal comes up.

Thanks for any insight.

Despite the 360 console itself keeling over left and right, the HD add-ons seem to be ok. That's not a bad price (I'm assuming it'll be around 100 bucks after your trade-ins and discounts), but they have been spotted in stores occasionally in NEW condition for close to that price as well. If you don't want to just wait and cross your fingers, though, your approach will be fine.

[quote name='mykevermin']Edge discount won't work on the DVD drive.[/quote]

Interesting, as it is listed as an accessory on the website. I'm pretty sure I've used the Edge card on accessories before, but this might be an exception. I'll have to look into this further. Thanks for the heads up.

One of the guys I know that works for EB bought a used one, and he hasn't had any problems with it. The edge discount works fine on the used HD DVD drive since like Hockey37 mentioned it is an accessory.

[quote name='edison']The edge discount works fine on the used HD DVD drive since like Hockey37 mentioned it is an accessory.[/QUOTE]

Well, then, go for it, I say. I'm glad to be wrong on this. That's an HD DVD player for $150 or less, right? And, if you can return it if you have any issues, then all the more reason to jump on it.

Well, I got one on the way home from work today.

I used the EB/GS website to look to see if any local stores had one. There was only one store that is on my route between work and home that was listed as having one, so I stopped.

Went in, asked if they had it. Clerk pulls it out from a case so I can take look at it. I open it up, and it is still in the protective plactic bags, complete with King Kong, the remote, software, manuals, the whole 9 yards. The sticker was still on the drive tray. It had never been used.

Clerk commented that whoever traded it in must not have been able to return it from where they got it from. Well it had a K-Mart price sticker on it, and there is a K-Mart about 150 yards away in the same shopping plaza. Things that make you go hhmmmmm.......

Regardless, it still was considered used, so the price was $150. The Edge card did work, so that took $15 off. I had a Game Informer coupon for an additional 10%, so another $15. I had $19.20 in credit from 3 headsets and a small remote plus Edge plus GI coupon traded in earlier in the day.

So after tax I got, for all intents and purposes, a new HD-DVD player for $109.19 after tax.

I'll take that. :bouncy:

Nice! I pre-ordered mine and bought it on release day and I don't regret it all. I own 17 HD DVD's and have watched 40 (will be 41 counting Road Warrior that I got today) through Netflix. If anything it's made me wish I could swing a PS3 just to be able to watch Blu-Ray movies.

I got a used one from EB, has worked great from day one. Though most likely it was never used as the EB i went to usually gets all the tuesday new releases used by that tuesday night.

If you have a sams club, i'd check there first. THe one here has the HD-DVD player for around $70

bread's done
Back