USED Blu Ray at Blockbuster

rifle21

CAGiversary!
Starting monday, blockbuster will start putting their blu ray rentals for sale used. Expect titles they have a lot of like Hancock and Indiana Jones. Most should be 16.99, but not eligible for any deals like the 2 for 20.

[quote name='rifle21']Starting monday, blockbuster will start putting their blu ray rentals for sale used. Expect titles they have a lot of like Hancock and Indiana Jones. Most should be 16.99, but not eligible for any deals like the 2 for 20.[/quote]

Ive been waiting for this for a while now :(

My local Blockbuster has been selling used Blu-Ray discs for a while now. The problem is that they are MORE than ordering them from Amazon.

Is this a new company-wide policy?

[quote name='PhotoMan']My local Blockbuster has been selling used Blu-Ray discs for a while now. The problem is that they are MORE than ordering them from Amazon.

Is this a new company-wide policy?[/quote]

What are the prices? The five by me dont sell used yet :(

[quote name='Ice2Dragon']What are the prices? The five by me dont sell used yet :([/quote]
$16.99 for their previously viewed, but trade-ins were selling for $19.99. When I went there a few months ago, they had several of Indy 4, Iron Man, Hulk, Forbidden Kingdom, Get Smart, and others.

[quote name='lolwut?']Anyone know how much you actually get for trading them in?[/QUOTE]

'Don't bother.'

Verbatim from the employee.

Haha, alright.

My dad's usually good friends with the BB employees anyways, so maybe they'll just let me do an exchange dealy

[quote name='lolwut?']Haha, alright.

My dad's usually good friends with the BB employees anyways, so maybe they'll just let me do an exchange dealy[/quote]

Do wut?

[quote name='CocheseUGA']'Don't bother.'

Verbatim from the employee.[/quote]

Definitely don't bother. They give you anywhere from $1-$3 for Blu Rays. And good luck finding used Blu Rays for $16.99. You must have a franchise store around you. Want to know the prices for the Blu Rays? Get the new price of said Blu Ray at BBV and subtract five. That's the used price...

It's ridiculous how expensive their shit is. There are very few Blu Rays worth buying at Blockbuster. Even then, they aren't that big of a deal. I Am Legend/300 are $19.99. We can always do better online though.

Blockbuster and CAGs do not mix at all unless you have a lot of credit there. Hopefully, I saved you all a lot of time from checking out your Blockbusters. I'm working tomorrow morning so I'll try and confirm some used prices, but for the most part you'll be able to do better online. Although, I'm pretty sure them selling used Blu Rays is quite a ways away. Most Blockbusters don't even have a lot of Blu Rays available to rent let alone buy used. That and the computer says the street date (the date we'll be able to put them out used) is sometime in 10/2010. Again though, I'll check just to make sure.

Mine was selling used copies for $24.99 - $29.99. No deal for sure. They might have been new but they had the Previously Viewed stickers on them.

[quote name='PhotoMan']Mine was selling used copies for $24.99 - $29.99. No deal for sure. They might have been new but they had the Previously Viewed stickers on them.[/quote]

New ones are always shrink wrapped. That's the easiest way to check.

Great deal, hopefully blockbuster will lower the price or even offer better deals in future.
iy.gif

iy.gif

Damn, $3. I thought they'd be around $10!

They do have alright deals on sealed ones sometimes. Right after King Kong came out I saw it there for $20 brand new. I had already rented it so I had no need to buy it, but not too bad of a deal nonetheless.

[quote name='DarkRider23']And good luck finding used Blu Rays for $16.99. You must have a franchise store around you. [/quote]

We've got almost a page and a half of BD titles to be transferred from rental copies to used copies starting tomorrow. Our list has Dark Knight, 10,000 BC Forgetting Sarah Marshall, Fool's Gold, Get Smart, Incredible Hulk, Indiana Jones, Iron Man, Kung Fu Panda, Speed Racer, Tropic Thunder, Hellboy 2 and a lot more that I am forgetting at the moment. These titles should be available at most Blockbuster stores for $16.99 as previously stated.

does anybody know if titles that come with a digital copy like the hulk will still have the digital copy disk when it drops to pv?

I just picked up brand new and sealed copies of Iron Man & Indy on blu-ray for $16.99 last week from BestBuy. Not worth getting used / scratched / missing art work / case at this price. If it was 2 for $20, then it'd be a decent sale.

[quote name='mick16']I just picked up brand new and sealed copies of Iron Man & Indy on blu-ray for $16.99 last week from BestBuy. Not worth getting used / scratched / missing art work / case at this price. If it was 2 for $20, then it'd be a decent sale.[/quote]

I see your point but for those with bb credit just laying around its another option to use your credit on.
(example buy cranium kabookie at kmart for $5 trade it in at bb for 16 or whatever its getting nowadays and pick up a $16 pv blu ray

$16.99 for a Used Blu-ray is still to much for me (especially a ex-rental). I will wait for the 2 for $20 down the road.

[quote name='NJMane']$16.99 for a Used Blu-ray is still to much for me (especially a ex-rental). I will wait for the 2 for $20 down the road.[/quote]

I am with you. Most of the titles I was interested in were only 3-5$ less than most of the sale prices on new.

You guys have to understand, even though they're used, they're still new because Blu-Rays have an anti-scratch coating so I'm in for this sale...when they get cheaper.

[quote name='moviewizguy']You guys have to understand, even though they're used, they're still new because Blu-Rays have an anti-scratch coating so I'm in for this sale...when they get cheaper.[/quote]

LOL, don't believe all the hype. While BD is much more impervious to scratches you need to be wary of edge nicks' and hairline cracks. The format seems to be more brittle and shatter/crack prone. Ask anyone who gets lots Blu-rays via Netflix (or just google it). I am suprised at how rough some renters treat these things (and the USPS autosorters).

The last thing I want is one of these to shatter inside my player or even worse, my PS3. Most just come up as unreadable or disc error, but I now check all rentals (local and mailed) very closely before insertion (that's what she said).

At least that free loupe from Epson is getting some use again.

[quote name='h3llbring3r']LOL, don't believe all the hype. While BD is much more impervious to scratches you need to be wary of edge nicks' and hairline cracks. The format seems to be more brittle and shatter/crack prone. Ask anyone who gets lots Blu-rays via Netflix (or just google it). I am suprised at how rough some renters treat these things (and the USPS autosorters).

The last thing I want is one of these to shatter inside my player or even worse, my PS3. Most just come up as unreadable or disc error, but I now check all rentals (local and mailed) very closely before insertion (that's what she said).

At least that free loupe from Epson is getting some use again.[/quote]
Oh...well, I didn't know that because I rarely rent...

There a few hours ago... We Own The Night... Blu-Ray... Used... $29.99!!!

Somebody confirm this is anything but bullshit. You don't need BB's Used Blu-Ray prices to know they're completely out of touch with pricing throughout the rest of the world.

Will these come with the orginal translucent blue cases? I'm thinking probably not. If they come in one of those crappy matte finish Blockbuster cases (like the other previously viewed DVDs), that's a dealbreaker for me.

[quote name='techstar25']Will these come with the orginal translucent blue cases? I'm thinking probably not. If they come in one of those crappy matte finish Blockbuster cases (like the other previously viewed DVDs), that's a dealbreaker for me.
smile.gif
[/quote]
What does the case matter? :p

was in my local BB today and they had a huge selection including Dark Knight, Kung Fu Panda, Indy, Hulk...they were all in the BB rental cases but the box art were the actual covers from the original blu-ray cases

[quote name='techstar25']Will these come with the orginal translucent blue cases? I'm thinking probably not. If they come in one of those crappy matte finish Blockbuster cases (like the other previously viewed DVDs), that's a dealbreaker for me.[/quote]

went by today and they had some good choices all 16.99
all were in the crappy blockbuster cases
picked up the hulk, hancock, and batman gotham

[quote name='manthing']BB cases?

:whistle2:|[/quote]
yea..i picked up kung fu panda just because I had a couple gift cards from there and I asked them for a case but they claimed that they don't receive the bluray cases, only the artwork and the disc. Luckily, I had an extra bluray case lying around. I wont buy another one unless i can get a bluray case but maybe i'm just picky. I saw all 16.99
dark knight
forgetting sarah marshall
kung fu panda
spiderwick chronicles
iron man
the hulk
speed racer
indiana jones
national treasure 1,2
fool's gold
hancock
one missed call
tropic thunder

[quote name='BrinX']What does the case matter? :p[/QUOTE]

Going to be pretty odd rifling through your collection of BDs and see a DVD-sized case sticking up holding every one of your Blockbuster BDs.

[quote name='JLazzuri']We've got almost a page and a half of BD titles to be transferred from rental copies to used copies starting tomorrow. Our list has Dark Knight, 10,000 BC Forgetting Sarah Marshall, Fool's Gold, Get Smart, Incredible Hulk, Indiana Jones, Iron Man, Kung Fu Panda, Speed Racer, Tropic Thunder, Hellboy 2 and a lot more that I am forgetting at the moment. These titles should be available at most Blockbuster stores for $16.99 as previously stated.[/quote]

You must be lucky then. All my store had was a transfer of new BD movies from our store to the distribution center. Nothing else involving any used Blu Rays. I find that odd to say the least.

[quote name='Jesse757x']yea..i picked up kung fu panda just because I had a couple gift cards from there and I asked them for a case but they claimed that they don't receive the bluray cases, only the artwork and the disc. Luckily, I had an extra bluray case lying around. I wont buy another one unless i can get a bluray case but maybe i'm just picky. I [/quote]

I'm with you there buddy. I will not buy a Blu Ray without a Blu Ray case. And yeah, Blockbuster doesn't get blu Ray cases. It sucks because with my discount, most movies would be sub $15 which I find to be an excellent price. Hopefully I can find a couple of Blu Ray cases lying around and get those, but I doubt that will happen.

[quote name='spug21']does anybody know if titles that come with a digital copy like the hulk will still have the digital copy disk when it drops to pv?[/quote]

If they were only released in a format w/ a digital copy then yes, but if you need the access code (from the little sticker on the front of the retail case) it won't be included.

To clear up, I don't work at a franchise store, and from what I was told, you might want to check back after monday when the POS updates. The prices should be dropping to 16.99 on all the movies now on sale. Happy hunting.

16.99 for used blu-ray is great if you have an abundance of bbv credit, but no original cases and money out of pocket i would probably not bite. i usually get my blu-rays from fye, with credit of course, so this will just be another option. replacement cases can be found for pretty cheap as well.

[quote name='ghozt']16.99 for used blu-ray is great if you have an abundance of bbv credit, but no original cases and money out of pocket i would probably not bite. i usually get my blu-rays from fye, with credit of course, so this will just be another option. replacement cases can be found for pretty cheap as well.[/quote]

I hope your FYE isn't like mine. They charge upwards of $34 on most Blu's

Personally, I don't really find this to be a deal, since I've been buying new for less than $15 dollars on pretty much every Blu I own. However for those with BB credit, it could come out okay.

As for people worrying about cases, you can easily find them online with a quick Google search. When Hollywood video was liquidating their HD DVDs, I picked up about 10 but they didn't have the original cases which really bothers me so I got a bunch off of eBay pretty cheap. Just throwing that out there ;)

[quote name='lolwut?']I hope your FYE isn't like mine. They charge upwards of $34 on most Blu's[/quote]

yea fye in store prices are mostly $34, but online prices for new releases are usually $26.99 after backstage pass. i buy a lot of used blu-rays from them as well and when secondspin.com has there 20%-30% off promos the prices are pretty good. totally off topic, i know.

Glad I'm not the only one concerned with the cases. I'm not like some of the obsessive folks over at the home theater forums who drool over the steelbooks, etc, but I would still really like the blue cases.
However since empty cases can be found on ebay it's not such a big deal.
I just thought of something - for those who have bought them... How big is the paper insert? Is it short like the BD case or tall like the DVD case? If the store only gets the insert and the disc, the insert is probably sized to fit in a regular DVD case which of course is taller than a BD case.

I called my local blockbuster on my way home from work yesterday, and they said they are not selling any PVD blu-rays. I didn't ask if they are corporate or franchise. I should have, but forgot.

It's short like the Blu ray cases. They put a blue cover behind the main cover to make it take up the whole black case. If you can find cheap Blu ray cases and get a $17 blu ray that you really want it may be a decent deal.

If they aren't in the original cases these aren't going to sell at all.

At $16.99, or even $15, I will hardly ever buy any though.

Wow was I shut up. I went into work yesterday and there they were. Used Blu Rays. Surprised the hell out of me. The only thing that sucks is we don't have Blu Ray cases>_>. It's about $14.xx for each with my employee discount. I could probably trade in a game or two for double what I got it for. I would essentially pay $7.xx per movie. If I can't find Blu Ray cases being sold I won't buy any..

The paper insert is a standard Blu Ray paper.

And for anyone looking for cheap cases;

http://cgi.ebay.com/Blu-Ray-Blue-Em...5|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50

I think I'll be picking up some movies as soon as they start selling some that I want ;).

[quote name='DarkRider23']

And for anyone looking for cheap cases;

http://cgi.ebay.com/Blu-Ray-Blue-Empty-DVD-Boxes-Cases-Replacements-NEW-x-5_W0QQitemZ390027395020QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_DVD_HD_DVD_Blu_ray?hash=item390027395020&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

I think I'll be picking up some movies as soon as they start selling some that I want ;).[/quote]

That adds $2 per disc though.

Sorry, but ~$20 for a used/abused :br: is not a deal.

bread's done
Back