Used game tax?

Hmm, ok. I was wondering because they already taxed it when it was new and since it has been used already, they may not.

[quote name='Adva']Hmm, ok. I was wondering because they already taxed it when it was new and since it has been used already, they may not.[/QUOTE]

Your thinking with common sense now. These are government taxes we are talking about:D

The only time EB doesn't tax you is when you use the credit you get from trading in stuff. Even then though, if the credit you have doesn't cover the total cost, you'll get taxed on the remaining balance. This depends on the CSR you get though, since some will still charge tax when you use credit, while others may innocently forget from time to time.

A CSR can't charge you tax on something you buy with trade in credit, since when they swipe the Edge card the computer automatically processes it. There is no way for them to add the taxes on top of it.

[quote name='zorba_the_greek']A CSR can't charge you tax on something you buy with trade in credit, since when they swipe the Edge card the computer automatically processes it. There is no way for them to add the taxes on top of it.[/QUOTE]

I've been charged tax when using trade-in credit at EB before, according to a couple of receipts that I checked shortly after buying stuff there. It was never enough for me to feel that I had to go back and say something about, though has happened frequent enough for me to take notice of.

[quote name='Adva']Hmm, ok. I was wondering because they already taxed it when it was new and since it has been used already, they may not.[/QUOTE]

I wish you knew that stores buy products from other stores.

Taxes can blow your mind if you really think about them.

A factory produces products. Everyone working there is taxed. All the materials were taxed when acquired. The land is taxed. The energy used is taxed. All the machines used for manufacturing were taxed. All of the factories which produced the machines used in the other factory were subject to the same taxes.

Retail stores pay tax on their inventory. You pay tax when you buy it. The profit from that goes toward paying employees and acquiring more inventory, both of which are taxed. Those employees then spend their money at retail stores. And so on.

Taking this to the extreme logical conclusion, every dollar in circulation will end up in the government's hands at some point. They, of course, spend the money back into circulation, where it just gets taxed all over again.

On topic, I actually take the lack of sales tax into account when trading games in. The sales tax here in Ontario is 13%. This effectively makes every trade in worth 13% more when compared to directly selling via ebay, then purchasing the games at retail.

Although, I buy most of my games from Ebay, where there is no sales tax, so this only applies to games I am specifically willing to buy at EB.

[quote name='Bamm']I've been charged tax when using trade-in credit at EB before, according to a couple of receipts that I checked shortly after buying stuff there. It was never enough for me to feel that I had to go back and say something about, though has happened frequent enough for me to take notice of.[/QUOTE]

That's something different. If the setting on their computer is incorrectly set to tax on trades that's one thing. There is still no way for a CSR to manually add the tax. I would have gone back in those cases, as you were charged tax on something you weren't supposed to be charged on.

[quote name='zing']on topic, i actually take the lack of sales tax into account when trading games in. The sales tax here in ontario is 13%. This effectively makes every trade in worth 13% more when compared to directly selling via ebay, then purchasing the games at retail.

Although, i buy most of my games from ebay, where there is no sales tax, so this only applies to games i am specifically willing to buy at eb.[/quote]

13%, ouch!

I've never been taxed when purchasing something with only EB Edge credit.

But on used games purchased with real money (including gift cards) instead of credit , yes you get taxed.

Heh. That's like saying, "I filed my taxes last year. Why do I have to do it again?"

I think that when you trade in games, you get the value (including tax). So for those of us with 13% tax when we trade in a game for $12, in their system we are getting $10.62 + $1.38 tax. I dunno. At least that's how some things show up at local pawn shops.

[quote name='Bamm']I've been charged tax when using trade-in credit at EB before, according to a couple of receipts that I checked shortly after buying stuff there. It was never enough for me to feel that I had to go back and say something about, though has happened frequent enough for me to take notice of.[/QUOTE]
This has only happened to me once, but it was the worst service I've ever had at EB. I traded in Fallout GotY(worth $45 at the time via power trade) towards SSF4 which was $45 before taxes. When I noticed that it didn't cover taxes, I mentioned it to one of the employees who kept insisting I was wrong, and eventually got fed up with me saying "that's the way it's always been."

I went to two EBs that said that I was correct. While they technically weren't allowed to refund the tax, the manager at the second EB I went to felt bad and gave it back to me anyways.

bread's done
Back