Used games not returnable at EB games

growlanser

CAGiversary!
I went to pick up Suikoden tactics and also bought a used copy of Jak II. When I get home I opened up the bag and found a seal across the case of JakII that says " Returnable within 14 days if seal is unbroken"

I then call the ebgames I bought it from and the guy tells me that if the seal is broken I can only return if for a similar title and that I cannot get a refund. He said it is new policy they just started because they were just bought by Gamespot.

Is this true?

Sorry.

I did not know. The used games I have bought never had a sticker and receipt always said returnable within 7 days.

Yeah, like Scorch said that policy has been in place for the last few years. Most of my used games from EB had four of those stickers placed all over the DVD or jewel case just to really make sure that people weren't tampering with them.

What upset me was that the used games were "replaceable" indefinitely a few years ago, or so most employees told me when I was checking out. Then came the protection option which I honestly don't care for or about save for systems (made a world of difference when a PS2 died on me). Oh well.

Thanks.

I guess I have to decide if I want to keep the game then.

The last used game I bought was KOTOR, in September, and there was no sticker and the receipt said it was returnable. The ebgames rep said it was recently implemented.
Oh well it was only $10.

Thanks Guys

[quote name='growlanser']Thanks.

I guess I have to decide if I want to keep the game then.

The last used game I bought was KOTOR, in September, and there was no sticker and the receipt said it was returnable. The ebgames rep said it was recently implemented.
Oh well it was only $10.

Thanks Guys[/QUOTE]

fuck that........... bitch enough and they'll refund it

Yeah, read this too the last time I got a used EB game.. never really cared much before since most of the used titles I got were always older gen cart stuff... seemed kinda odd that once the sticker was broken, you could only exchange for a 'similar' game... though apparently if they don't have the game they might have a different policy, e.g., let's say you bought Disgaea and then found out it was 'bad', they probably couldn't replace it, but I believe they might be able to give you some form of credit in exchange for it.

Yep, no FREE rentals. The 'return within 14 days for any reason' was just a way to get a 'free rental' out of EB/Gamestop. Good for them for putting a stop to it.

[quote name='gizmogc']Yep, no FREE rentals. The 'return within 14 days for any reason' was just a way to get a 'free rental' out of EB/Gamestop. Good for them for putting a stop to it.[/QUOTE]

GS still does a 7 day return for any reason on used games.

[quote name='BustaUppa']This is irritating because you can't even see the condition of the disc until you break that seal.[/QUOTE]

well you can always ask to see it before its sealed, as with any used (or new gutted) game. also, just because you cant bring it back and swap it out for a different game once it is opened, doesn't mean you cant return it if it is defective for another copy of the same game. also, if they don't have another copy, they'll typically let you put the credit towards a new copy, or swap for a similiar used game.

[quote name='Kayden']Hows Suikoden Tactics?[/QUOTE]

I only played the first battle before going back to Stella Deus. It seems to be your standard typical Tactical RPGs, which is fine by me. I cannot seems to skip cut scenes which I knew before buying ( I seem to be spoilt by Stella deus). It has an option to set the battle speed which is a plus in my book. All in all, it is a standard TRPG, nothing revolutionary. If you like TRPG like I do (I have all TRPGs for the PS2) then you will like it.

I decided to keep Jak II. I haven't played a platformer in a long time. I was playing mainly traditional RPG but lately I cannot seem to stayed interested in any of them any more (except TRPGs) to keep playing or buying them so I was trying something new.

Thanks for all your responses.

[quote name='Kuros']GS still does a 7 day return for any reason on used games.[/QUOTE]

My GS always says ( for used games only) 7 days if you don't like it. So it's kind of like a free rental, though if you do this more than twice you get cut off. I bought Sword of Mana a week ago, didn't like the ending so I retuned it for a few movies.

Ha.. the one time I was in my local GameStop to use my B2G1F coupon, this kid came in with his dad and he was returning his game cause it was too hard. That amused me.

A lot of people at our store try to return games because they didn't like it or it was "too hard". Blockbuster exists, why don't you rent the damn game before buying it? I don't understand why customers are mad that we don't act as a free rental store.

When customers start to bitch a lot, I hold my ground and when they start yelling, I ask them to leave. If they don't leave, I call security. Yay.

Have you played Jak and Daxter yet? I recommend picking it up on the cheap and going through it before Jak II. Jak II is gets hard, especially if you haven't platformed in a while and the first game is a good way to get used to it again.

I don't bitch about it because I can't return it. I bitch because I don't want another fucking sticker on the case. I love when they try to put the sticker on after you have already made the transaction & they are bagging your stuff. Oh hell no, that's my stuff now, want to see the receipt you just handed me? If they deface your property with a sticker, you have no choice but to kick over the magazine rack. CAG in the house, biatch.

[quote name='vietgurl']A lot of people at our store try to return games because they didn't like it or it was "too hard". Blockbuster exists, why don't you rent the damn game before buying it? I don't understand why customers are mad that we don't act as a free rental store.

When customers start to bitch a lot, I hold my ground and when they start yelling, I ask them to leave. If they don't leave, I call security. Yay.[/QUOTE]

and that's when they wait for you out in the parking lot? ;-)

The same thing happened to me recently too. I got to a point where I was burned out on RPGs and decided to branch out into other genres. I've played almost nothing but RPGs since the SNES so I guess it was about time. I'll post a list of good non-RPG (PS2) games I've found if your interested. Right now I really have to go to bed for work tomorrow.

[quote name='dragonpancakes']My GS always says ( for used games only) 7 days if you don't like it. So it's kind of like a free rental, though if you do this more than twice you get cut off. I bought Sword of Mana a week ago, didn't like the ending so I retuned it for a few movies.[/QUOTE]

Wow, so you played and beat the game, and because the ending 'sucked' you feel you are entitled to a different game? Amazing.

[quote name='gizmogc']Wow, so you played and beat the game, and because the ending 'sucked' you feel you are entitled to a different game? Amazing.[/QUOTE]

some Gamestops near me actually suggest buying a game used first, that way it can be returned if there is something about the game I don't like. I returned a used game after having it a day and they gladly took it back(I even explained the actual reason... I hated the camera/controls).
I've only had to do this twice out of all the times I bought used games from them. I could totally see them getting pissed though if people abused it as a free rental system.

The EB near me usually puts the sticker on, but since I know the people in there, they won't do it to my games. (Because they know I won't be returning them...)

The 7 day used is up to the managers, who can set it between 1-7 days. (most opt for 7). although there is(well was, it hasnt been reopened since the storm) one local gamestop where the manager disliked the policy and only did 24 hour returns.

~b

[quote name='gizmogc']Wow, so you played and beat the game, and because the ending 'sucked' you feel you are entitled to a different game? Amazing.[/QUOTE]

No! Not at all. I feel I am entitled to a different game because I played and beat the game, thought the ending sucked, worked at that GS for three years, Know pretty much every employee in the district, and the SM really doesn't care what I do as long as it doesn't make him look bad, or get him in trouble. And considering 90% of our customers do this on a weekly to semi-weekly basis I figure once every two years won't hurt.

[quote name='raveneyes']The 7 day used is up to the managers, who can set it between 1-7 days. (most opt for 7). although there is(well was, it hasnt been reopened since the storm) one local gamestop where the manager disliked the policy and only did 24 hour returns.

~b[/QUOTE]

That makes no sense, it even says on the reciept that it's 7 days for any reason for used games.

Although it's understandable to cut off someone who does the returns very often.

[quote name='dragonpancakes']No! Not at all. I feel I am entitled to a different game because I played and beat the game, thought the ending sucked, worked at that GS for three years, Know pretty much every employee in the district, and the SM really doesn't care what I do as long as it doesn't make him look bad, or get him in trouble. And considering 90% of our customers do this on a weekly to semi-weekly basis I figure once every two years won't hurt.[/QUOTE]

Still does not entitle you to anything. But whatever. If you can get away with it, great, but its just a lame reason to return a game.

[quote name='Kuros']That makes no sense, it even says on the reciept that it's 7 days for any reason for used games.

Although it's understandable to cut off someone who does the returns very often.[/QUOTE]

pretty much that's what it was, a whole community of people "renting" games. he got sick of it and there ya go.

~b

[quote name='vietgurl']A lot of people at our store try to return games because they didn't like it or it was "too hard". Blockbuster exists, why don't you rent the damn game before buying it? I don't understand why customers are mad that we don't act as a free rental store.

When customers start to bitch a lot, I hold my ground and when they start yelling, I ask them to leave. If they don't leave, I call security. Yay.[/QUOTE]

uh, yeah, and then I just call my credit card company and dispute the charge........ and I end up not paying for the game........ Yay

My mom took back my opened Digital Devil Saga and got credit back. When asked about the stickers, she said she really didn't know if they had them on there or not (which she really didn't) so that EB person was nice enough and on the receipt it says it was returned because it was a gift...

[quote name='raveneyes']pretty much that's what it was, a whole community of people "renting" games. he got sick of it and there ya go.

~b[/QUOTE]

That's understandable then. That's not what the warranty is for. :)

[quote name='gizmogc']Still does not entitle you to anything. But whatever. If you can get away with it, great, but its just a lame reason to return a game.[/QUOTE]

In all honesty, while I thought his last post was someone mocking him, many gamestops state exactly that. You can return it if you don't like it or change your mind or anything else.

Personally, I return a lot of games but they're never played. I just change my mind a lot, or buy things I forgot I had (happens with ps1 games a lot).

it seems scratches are not a vaild reason to return either now.. I got gallop racer 2004 thursday and wanted to return/replace it in store. They asked why and i said due to the scratches... Dude goes if it dont effect the gameplay we cant return it even if its scratched.. So i guess my other hope is return by mail

[quote name='bostonfrontier']uh, yeah, and then I just call my credit card company and dispute the charge........ and I end up not paying for the game........ Yay[/QUOTE]

I don't care; I'm not gonna get myself in trouble just for a stupid customer. I used to be on the customer's side until I realized that no one really gives a damn about me so now I try to make the customer's life miserable if they're being complete asses.

Maybe I need to get a job on campus since they tend to pay double what I make at EB, haha. I'm so bitter...

I remember buying a used copy of Metal Slug for the PS1, that was re-wrapped by EB obviously. The disc was clean, no scratches, I put it in my PS2 and it would not read the disc. I took it back a day later with the receipt saying that the game did not read in my PS2. The clerk then told me "Hmm..I had a feeling it was going to do that". Then I asked if I could get a refund. He told me because the seal was broken and they didn't have the game in stock I couldn't get a refund, only store credit.

It's so lame. Of course you aren't going to have the game in stock, the game is how old? Also the thing is defective.

I mean I can understand this policy for new items, but for games that haven't seen a print run in the longest time. Now thats lame.

[quote name='Staraang21']and that's when they wait for you out in the parking lot? ;-)[/QUOTE]

1. Wear a bulky coat.

2. Keep a roll of quarters in each fist.

3. When approached by irate customer, ask "What's the problem? Do you have too many teeth in your head?"

I suppose the person could be holding a gun, but I can't imagine how stupid somebody would have to be to get nailed for first degree murder over returning a video game.

bread's done
Back