used iphone 3G without data plan

wwe101

CAGiversary!
Feedback
11 (100%)
hey whatsup. I bought used Iphone 3G from ebay earlier. we currently have att and have data blocked from our phones. if i put my sim card in the iphone, is there anyway they will charge me for a dataplan if data is blocked from our phones? if so is there a way around this? phone is unlocked if that helps.:)

edited post becuase didnt feel like making new one

Last edited by a moderator:
It doesn't look shady. People don't always have stuff to sell and he hasn't had any issues when he has sold things. He sold a wii last year....

Yes. AT&T can tell which phone you're using by the IMEI and will modify your plan accordingly. You'll get a text roughly an hour or two after you put your SIM card into it that says something to the effect of "Usage of a smartphone requires an appropriate data package. If you have not already added one to your AT&T account, one will be added for you per the terms and conditions of AT&T usage."

Minimum is $15, so expect that one on your bill.

My wife is using my old 3GS with the pay-as-you-go sim card from her old cellphone and it works great. No "unlock" was necessary. Just put the card in and go.

Only thing about the 3G (not the 3GS) - I would highly recommend that you *not* update to the latest OS. There's no going back, and the 3G runs like a dog with the newest OS. Hopefully the seller didn't upgrade and then decide to sell it....

[quote name='crunchewy']My wife is using my old 3GS with the pay-as-you-go sim card from her old cellphone and it works great. No "unlock" was necessary. Just put the card in and go.

Only thing about the 3G (not the 3GS) - I would highly recommend that you *not* update to the latest OS. There's no going back, and the 3G runs like a dog with the newest OS. Hopefully the seller didn't upgrade and then decide to sell it....[/QUOTE]

Ya it works fine with my 3G and pay as you go sim card.

Btw, 4.2.1 works great on 3G, a lot of improvements over 4.0.x which slowed it down a lot. However, you if you want to unlock your phone you should make sure you do not upgrade to the official 4.2.1. and update from a previous version to a jailbroken 4.2.1... upgrading to officla 4.2.1. makes it more complicated to unlock your phone...

bread's done
Back