Used mac-No password and no cd

thefallingscream

CAGiversary!
My dad just bought a used mac at a Goodwill. It loads up with panther but I can't log in. I don't know that the password is. I already hack into the system and that didn't help. I also tried to load linux and that didn't work.

''mount -uw/rm/var/db.AppleSetupDone
Shutdown -h now''

I tried that and nothing happened.

1. Reboot
  2. Hold apple + s down after you hear the chime.
  3. When you get text prompt enter in these terminal commands to create a brand new admin account (hitting return after each line)
  4. mount -uw /
  5. rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone
  6. shutdown -h now
Are you sure you're doing this correctly? This works for most (if not all) older Macs running Panther or Tiger.

If you have an extra HDD laying around collecting dust, clear it out and replace the old one (on Macs..a 9 year old can do it).
I do not condone this BUT if you must, I'm pretty sure you can get your hands on 10.3 or 10.4 online (you seem like a smart individual, so you probably know where to look for such things..if one was so inclined). You might only need a copy of the recovery/install disc. Burn the ISO to DVD and you should be good to go.

I don't even know because I can't get passed the login screen. I'm just going to buy snow leopard and upgrade everything else later. Thanks for the help.

[quote name='thefallingscream']I don't even know because I can't get passed the login screen. I'm just going to buy snow leopard and upgrade everything else later. Thanks for the help.[/QUOTE]

What's the model # (and GHZ)? It should be located in the back. I'm asking because snow leopard (as well as leopard) will only run/stable on specific models (and if you scored a G4 and under, it's very limited).

bread's done
Back