Used N-Gage System $50 at Gamestop.com

D. Monic

CAGiversary!
It's the first time I've seen it in stock on the Web site in months. These are the original models, which I prefer to the QD because they have a USB cable interface (for connecting to the PC) and stereo sound, both of which I consider essential. I ordered one of these from Gamestop back in the Oct/Nov timeframe and I can't recommend it enough.

http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product_id=909069

Good luck,

-DM

[quote name='Guapo77']I know this has been said many times, but the sidetalking thing with the first N-Gage is just horrible

who on earth would want to talk in public with that thing next to your ear?[/quote]

There's a mod out there that shows you how to drill into the back of the N-Gage and allows you to talk normally.

Sidetalking is a thing of the past.

[quote name='EddieBelfour']anyone know if this phone works with sprint service?[/quote]

Yes and no. Yes I do, and no it won't. The N-Gage is GSM, Sprint is CDMA.

[quote name='guessed'][quote name='EddieBelfour']anyone know if this phone works with sprint service?[/quote]

Yes and no. Yes I do, and no it won't. The N-Gage is GSM, Sprint is CDMA.[/quote]

thanks for ruining my day :cry:

edit: eff my stupid camera phone that doesnt do anything. but take pictures.

[quote name='Guapo77']I know this has been said many times, but the sidetalking thing with the first N-Gage is just horrible

who on earth would want to talk in public with that thing next to your ear?[/quote]

I just use a Nokia HDB-5 headset. Pretty cheap. Works great. Problem solved.

-DM

I checked my order status today and now it says backordered so anyone else that might have ordered one might want to check

[quote name='Shadows916']mine went from in stock, placed order- now it's a week later and it's back ordered. gamestop sucks[/quote]

I think I might just cancel my order. Stupid ass Gamestop.com! :evil:

I'll probably just keep mine up and not cancel it

and then in 3-6 months this mystery package will arrive and alas...its the $40 N-Gage!
It will be Christmas in July indeed

I ordered the second it came back in stock, thursday evening, and I've got a ups tracking number. If anyone really wants one just check the site continuously and order the second it comes in stock.

The ngage is the laughing stock of the gaming community, but after doing some research that seems pretty unfair. For $300 or whatever price it debuted at the phone was way overpriced, but $37 for a phone, gaming console, video/mp3 player, web browser, and aim client all combined into one machine I think it is an insanely good deal. Can't wait to get it!!

I am becoming mildly intrigued by this thing call N-Gage. i was never interested in it before, but this is an obscene price. someone convince me to buy it.

[quote name='snood']I ordered the second it came back in stock, thursday evening, and I've got a ups tracking number. If anyone really wants one just check the site continuously and order the second it comes in stock.

The ngage is the laughing stock of the gaming community, but after doing some research that seems pretty unfair. For $300 or whatever price it debuted at the phone was way overpriced, but $37 for a phone, gaming console, video/mp3 player, web browser, and aim client all combined into one machine I think it is an insanely good deal. Can't wait to get it!![/quote]

I probably missed it, but how do you put AIM on it?

So can you play games on an N-Gage without having any phone service to it? (Too lazy to do the research - or even read this whole thread :oops: to see if it has the answer already)

If you can I could see me getting one of these if I find one for less than $10 someday.

[quote name='wubb']So can you play games on an N-Gage without having any phone service to it? (Too lazy to do the research - or even read this whole thread :oops: to see if it has the answer already)

If you can I could see me getting one of these if I find one for less than $10 someday.[/quote]

Gameplay does not require phone service.

[quote name='civx']
I probably missed it, but how do you put AIM on it?[/quote]

google "agile messenger," it's an instant messaging client for phones, including the ngage. You need to have proper internet service from your cell provider to use it, but it looks great.

Well, I got mine this week, and it was in terrible condition. First, there was NO BATTERY! Hmmm. Ok. The back cover wouldn't stay on the unit at all, and kept falling off. There was a large scratch on the screen, and other marks on the body of the console. No manual, no cd, and did I mention no battery?!
I'm sending it back today, and hopefully they'll ship me a usable one next time.

[quote name='oasis007']Well, I got mine this week, and it was in terrible condition. First, there was NO BATTERY! Hmmm. Ok. The back cover wouldn't stay on the unit at all, and kept falling off. There was a large scratch on the screen, and other marks on the body of the console. No manual, no cd, and did I mention no battery?!
I'm sending it back today, and hopefully they'll ship me a usable one next time.[/quote]

That's lousy. I hope the next one they send you is in great shape. From past threads, it seems Gamestop usually does send out good units, but you're not the first one to get a stinker either.

-DM

[quote name='D. Monic'][quote name='oasis007']Well, I got mine this week, and it was in terrible condition. First, there was NO BATTERY! Hmmm. Ok. The back cover wouldn't stay on the unit at all, and kept falling off. There was a large scratch on the screen, and other marks on the body of the console. No manual, no cd, and did I mention no battery?!
I'm sending it back today, and hopefully they'll ship me a usable one next time.[/quote]

That's lousy. I hope the next one they send you is in great shape. From past threads, it seems Gamestop usually does send out good units, but you're not the first one to get a stinker either.

-DM[/quote]

the first one they sent me couldnt even be charged but it was complete with all cables and battery. i sent it back and it took them 3 months to send me another one but this one is in perfect condition and still came with everything.

[quote name='Milkyman']the first one they sent me couldnt even be charged but it was complete with all cables and battery. i sent it back and it took them 3 months to send me another one but this one is in perfect condition and still came with everything.[/quote]

Well, the good news is that it's come back in stock twice in the last week or so, after being sold out for at least a couple of months. Maybe people are trading them in as the PSP launch nears. Who knows? But hopefully that means Oasis won't have to wait three months for a replacement.

And those who have them on backorder, don't cancel yet. Give it at least until the end of the month. The signs suggest that Gamestop's supply of used systems is better now than it's been in a while.

Good luck,

-DM

What's strange is that on my Paypal account, it shows that Gamestop.com is pending a charge on my card for the N-Gage.

But the weird thing is is underneath the Gamestop.com name, there's a phone number for a B&M Gamestop near Dallas.

Do you guys have any idea why that is? Does Gamestop have a warehouse or do they just ship stuff out of B&M stores now?

[quote name='Grave_Addiction']What's strange is that on my Paypal account, it shows that Gamestop.com is pending a charge on my card for the N-Gage.

Butthe weird thing is is underneath the Gamestop.com name, there's a phone number for a B&M Gamestop near Dallas.

Do you guys have any idea why that is? Does Gamestop have a warehouse or do they just ship stuff out of B&M stores now?[/quote]

I think they do that for tax purposes.

Mine came today, and it appears to be in good shape. I had always assumed that either one could access non-phone features without a sim card, or that it would come with a dummy sim card, but neither appears to be the case, so I can't actually try it out yet (I have no intention of using it as a phone). What is the cheapest pre-paid sim card, or is there a way to get a dummy/used one (I've always been with Sprint, so I have no sim experience)?

[quote name='Grave_Addiction']What's strange is that on my Paypal account, it shows that Gamestop.com is pending a charge on my card for the N-Gage.

But the weird thing is is underneath the Gamestop.com name, there's a phone number for a B&M Gamestop near Dallas.

Do you guys have any idea why that is? Does Gamestop have a warehouse or do they just ship stuff out of B&M stores now?[/quote]

http://www.gamestop.com/investor-relations/

they are based out of Grapevine, so it is reasonable that their warehouse may be in Dallas (just hopefully not South Dallas :lol: )

[quote name='CaseyRyback'][quote name='Grave_Addiction']What's strange is that on my Paypal account, it shows that Gamestop.com is pending a charge on my card for the N-Gage.

http://www.gamestop.com/investor-relations/

they are based out of Grapevine, so it is reasonable that their warehouse may be in Dallas (just hopefully not South Dallas :lol: )[/quote]

Oooooooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ... :oops:

Thank you, sir.

[quote name='guessed']Mine came today, and it appears to be in good shape. I had always assumed that either one could access non-phone features without a sim card, or that it would come with a dummy sim card, but neither appears to be the case, so I can't actually try it out yet (I have no intention of using it as a phone). What is the cheapest pre-paid sim card, or is there a way to get a dummy/used one (I've always been with Sprint, so I have no sim experience)?[/quote]

Just buy an unactivated SIM card off eBay. You can generally find one for $5 shipped or so. An inactive SIM gives you access to every feature on the device except the stuff that requires a service provider (phone, text messaging, etc.).

Welcome to the world of the N-Gage.

-DM

just got mine today, good condition!

I signed up for the $4.99 tzones plan, got web browsing to work through a proxy but aim doesnt seem to work with agile messenger. have to use some other software called im+ and now it works great.

so far the only game i tried is the 3d snake nokia made, pretty fun. bought the thing more for the non-game features of the ngage, ill check out the games down the line i guess :cool:

[quote name='snood']just got mine today, good condition!

I signed up for the $4.99 tzones plan, got web browsing to work through a proxy but aim doesnt seem to work with agile messenger. have to use some other software called im+ and now it works great.

so far the only game i tried is the 3d snake nokia made, pretty fun. bought the thing more for the non-game features of the ngage, ill check out the games down the line i guess :cool:[/quote]

Sounds like you're off to a flying start. :eek:

For those who don't know, you can download free demos of some of the more recent games from the N-Gage Arena Web site. You can also get the free full download of Snakes. You'll have to register with the site first, but here's the link:

http://arena.n-gage.com/n-gage/web/en/play/downloads/downloads_games.jsp

It's a good way to get started with the system.

Have fun,

-DM

what is the $4.99 tzones plan?

I have Cingular as my carrier, but I do have a GSM phone, and I really don't feel like switching over (I don't pay because I am on a family plan, and if I do..well then I have to lol)

you can get the n-gage "unlocked"- people clam an unlocked version canbe used on any network. seems you have to enter a code for the phoen and it sissables the sims lock and the service lock. some people on eby say the phone was used through at&t, verizon and cingular in the auctions i was watching(getting tired of waiting for gamestop).

[quote name='Guapo77']what is the $4.99 tzones plan?

I have Cingular as my carrier, but I do have a GSM phone, and I really don't feel like switching over (I don't pay because I am on a family plan, and if I do..well then I have to lol)[/quote]

the $4.99 tzones plan is tmobile's cheapest plan that allows access to the net. Of course, being a cell phone company, they make nothing easy. Since they want you to pay for the more expensive internet plans they disable the default web port, and make you go through a proxy to get web sites. they also block almost every port besides the bare essentials for mobile web and getting your email. That makes it so you have to specially configure your software to get on aim or to regular web sites, etc. The more expensive plans dont require this. I haven't tried ngage arena yet, it's possible it would work but most likely tmobile is going to want me to pay for a more expensive plan for that.

As Shadows916 said I believe that ngages are compatible with practically every cell network, except sprint(i think they use an entirely different setup from the others) so either the ngage will work with Cingular out of the box, or it will need to be unlocked. Chances are if you called cingular and explained your situation they would probably help out with that, or even called the company who the ngage is locked to.

bread's done
Back