Used Patapon PSP $17.84 Shipped GameStop

[quote name='GT']How the fuck can they can have USED copies already???[/quote]

Sometimes, employees try out new releases whenever they are received. After they're done, they bring them back to the store to be sold as used. I'm guessing that in this case; some GS got Patapon, an employee checked it out, didn't like it, then returned it to be sold as used.

I'm not 100% sure that all GSs allow this, but I recall that this is how a few GSs in my area had Lost Odyssey and DMC4 used on it's release date.

[quote name='Short Round']I think I'll stick with my new, sealed, copy for only $2 more.[/quote]

Agreed, I'll be doing the same.

[quote name='zephie']Sometimes, employees try out new releases whenever they are received. After they're done, they bring them back to the store to be sold as used.[/quote]

While this is a slightly wrong comment, the people who work for the website can't actually check games out, so this is also wrong.

[quote name='reibeatall']While this is a slightly wrong comment, the people who work for the website can't actually check games out, so this is also wrong.[/quote]

Since that's the case, can you tell us how they get new releases on their used shelf so quickly? I thought that what I heard about this "employee check-out" system sounded fishy, but I wouldn't put it above GS. They make more profit on a used sale rather than new copy, after all.

[quote name='zephie']Since that's the case, can you tell us how they get new releases on their used shelf so quickly? I thought that what I heard about this "employee check-out" system sounded fishy, but I wouldn't put it above GS. They make more profit on a used sale rather than new copy, after all.[/QUOTE]

actually, they play the game, and STILL try to sell it as new at the store.

[quote name='GT']How the fuck can they can have USED copies already???[/quote]

Well they did have the PSP demo

If its anything like when I tried to buy Metriod Hunters for the DS they tried selling me the Metroid Hunters First Hunt (the demo).

So be careful a fucking dumb employee could take one of them and attempt to sell it.

[quote name='iamthekiller']actually, they play the game, and STILL try to sell it as new at the store.[/QUOTE]

They call this an open display copy, and it is NEW. That is why I don't buy unsealed "new" game from GS/EB because a customer never knows.

[quote name='zephie']Sometimes, employees try out new releases whenever they are received. After they're done, they bring them back to the store to be sold as used.[/quote]

sorry, no. that's not the way it works with inventories.

People trade games in the same day or the day after they get them in. It happens. I had a guy that bought Ace Combat 6, didn't like it, brought it back four hours later, and we had a used copy the same day the game launched. This could be the case here. Who knows.

As someone said, I would easily stick with a new copy for $2 more.

[quote name='zephie']Since that's the case, can you tell us how they get new releases on their used shelf so quickly? I thought that what I heard about this "employee check-out" system sounded fishy, but I wouldn't put it above GS. They make more profit on a used sale rather than new copy, after all.[/quote]

Well, yeah, they do. But your logic here is kinda off.

GameStop buys a copy of Patapon to sell from sony for $16, maybe $17. Profit on new games sucks.
If a store were to sell that new copy as used, they'd only make a dollar, maybe two. Less if you had the GS card.
Now, if somebody bought the new game, then traded it in, GS'd probably buy it for $7. They'd turn around and sell it for $17, making $10.
So for them to take the new ones and sell them as used doesn't make sense, unless they're using WalMart's philosophy (sell TONS at tiny profit a piece for huge total profit.)

And racerman, yeah, you're right. My store, however, is a new one, and we had to gut almost everything to fill up the wall space. So we've got 400 games that haven't been played, but needed to be gutted. It's just the way it works.

Buy.com with GCO has it for $17 shipped. It would be great if Buy.com didn't know people were abusing GCO since they made the price $27, $7 more than MSRP.

I think this is one of those situations where I'd make a point to buy a new copy and have it reflect in sales/profits for the developer than to give GS my money. At a $20 launch price, I just can't justify it otherwise.

Not trying to threadcrap, btw. Less $ is less $, so posts are always appreciated :)

[quote name='johnnypark']I think this is one of those situations where I'd make a point to buy a new copy and have it reflect in sales/profits for the developer than to give GS my money. At a $20 launch price, I just can't justify it otherwise.

Not trying to threadcrap, btw. Less $ is less $, so posts are always appreciated :)[/QUOTE]

I agree, especially since Sony actually made a fuss about how Patapon (which is an excellent game, BTW, I'm loving it) retails brand new for $20 because they want to give quirky titles a real chance at commercial success, and PSP software sales are generally terrible anyway. For true cheapasses, the few bucks of difference is worth it to cast your vote by supporting games that retail for $19.99.

Also, I'm not sure if you need to have preordered or not, but I had put a $5 deposit on Patapon, so when I went to pick it up and use the 10% off coupon, I paid using GS store credit and I wasn't charged tax, so I paid $17.99 brand-new.

[quote name='iamthekiller']actually, they play the game, and STILL try to sell it as new at the store.[/quote]

Yes, this is 100% correct--two of my friends manage GameStop stores, and the entire staff loves this program.

Is it fair and right to the consumer? Um, hell no. However, GameStop pays all of its employees very poorly, so I just don't complain about this one small perk that their job affords them.

JUST AN FYI: average rent for a standard 1-bedroom apartment where I live is around $1300/month, and GameStop employees around here make the same amount of money as every other GS store in the country.

Yeah looks like its just better to buy a new copy.

There's always the $10 off GCO for new customers if you buy at Buy.com. Total comes to $14.39. I'd try it but I'd rather just use it next week and try to snag God of War:Chains of Olympus for $29 SHIPPED.

I'd rather support the developers and buy it new. Wait, I already did yesterday! Awesome game if no one knew already!

game is worth the preorder and full price. after getting through the demo and getting the special weapon i love this game. i just wish my rhythm was a bit better.

I'm in for a new copy... I bet this game is going to become rare eventually, kinda like the Katamari series (which also retailed well below the average $50 pricetag)

bread's done
Back