Used Playstation 2 systems $29.99 and $39.99

[quote name='dark-star']Yep, I know this because I bought a fat one at the $39.99 price at the end of November...too late for a price match now, oh well...[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I bought a fat one in mid December for 40, but had to return it cause the controller was shot. I figured I'd wait and get a new one instead of an exchange, but at 30 i might give it another go.

I think my slim is slowly going out. Should I get a original or another slim? Not looking for modding and I doubt I'll ever use internet on it anymore. Just looking for something that'll read disks quick and last a couple of years.

[quote name='The Lord of Awesome']I think my slim is slowly going out. Should I get a original or another slim? Not looking for modding and I doubt I'll ever use internet on it anymore. Just looking for something that'll read disks quick and last a couple of years.[/QUOTE]

Slim.

[quote name='The Lord of Awesome']I think my slim is slowly going out. Should I get a original or another slim? Not looking for modding and I doubt I'll ever use internet on it anymore. Just looking for something that'll read disks quick and last a couple of years.[/QUOTE]

The slims will be less old, but sony was really going for lower price points with the slims and I think it shows in their longevity....I've had two slims, both of which I bought new, become much more fussy about reading disks while my eons old phat still runs with no problems.

Tempted to get a backup fat.. i have my old fat that still works and a slim, as well as 2 sealed new slims. But i REALLY loved the fat. So much better than the damn slims

Problem is thi sis GS.. no QC at all with their disks so im horrified to think what quality the systems they take in are. Can you inspect it thoroughly before buying? Even so im very leery

I've done my fair share of fixing up phat PS2s back in college to make a buck here and there. If I were to do this deal, I'd go for the slim instead. Less parts, less things can go wrong. Replacing the lasers on them are a breeze as well. I found that the phat PS2s just didn't age well for the most part.

[quote name='Kenshindono']Tempted to get a backup fat.. i have my old fat that still works and a slim, as well as 2 sealed new slims. But i REALLY loved the fat. So much better than the damn slims

Problem is thi sis GS.. no QC at all with their disks so im horrified to think what quality the systems they take in are. Can you inspect it thoroughly before buying? Even so im very leery[/QUOTE]

They let me inspect mine. They just open their little box and let you have a look. I told them mine was gonna go in the living room so i wanted one that was cosmetically near perfect. And i found one. But like i said earlier, controller was shot.

Plus, it's a used system, so you have 7 days to return it for a refund. That seems like plenty of time to test it out.

My slim is having troubles reading discs lately, this may be a good option for a backup. The fear is the one I get is even worse at reading discs. Meh, I'll think about it.

Edit: I have taken my slim online. I just used an ethernet cable. I played SW Battlefront 2. The online is decent, but I can't imagine it is very active anymore.

[quote name='Kenshindono']Tempted to get a backup fat.. i have my old fat that still works and a slim, as well as 2 sealed new slims. But i REALLY loved the fat. So much better than the damn slims

Problem is thi sis GS.. no QC at all with their disks so im horrified to think what quality the systems they take in are. Can you inspect it thoroughly before buying? Even so im very leery[/QUOTE]

There is QC. We do test all the systems to make sure they work and can play games before they can be traded in.

The problem is time. Most of the time we only have 2 people working the store, a manager and a GA. With the amount of items being traded it and the things people ask and need help with, there's no time to do such a thing.

I usually let anyone inspect things before they buy em, but if the store has a line of customers and it's super busy, I cant spend 15+ minutes searching the entire store for the best possible system we have in stock.

WARNING DO NOT BUY.

These aren't used PS2s, but Gamestop Refurbished models. A great majority of the time, these models are garbage and die just a little after warranty periods are up. Was a Gamestop lackey for almost 5 years, the refurbished consoles were boomerangs. What went out almost always came back. It's not 100%, but I'd save your pennies and get a new console or find a respectable used one from a friend, colleague, ebay auction, etc.

If not, get the one year warranty. Don't scream shill, I don't work there anymore, but trust me. The refurbished models are TERRIBLE. More so the refurbished fatties. Oh and do note that your likelihood of getting an actual Sony controller is poor at best. You'll get either a defunct brand or a Gamestop special. Either of which will probably play terrible.

I want to get a PS2 again, but I'm wondering is there a way to download save files off the net and how would you get them to your memory card?

There's a complicated way of doing that but you're better off buying a Action Replay to transfer your saves.

I might just bite, but the slim model I want is most likely in short supply, compared to the newer slims.
If you don't have a PS2 and want to play PS2 games get it! Especially when it's b2g2!

If you have or want to pick up any PS2 games that are on CD, do NOT buy a Fat ps2. More likely than not, you will receive a disc read error. If you just want to play PS2 DVD games which the majority of the games are on DVD, then go ahead and pick up a Fat. It's an issue with the laser that is fixed on the slim model.

You can only install the PS2 hard disk drive on a fat PS2. So if you are into modding, this is the type to buy.

Honestly, those are the major differences between the 2 models. Personally, I have owned both and enjoyed the slim's size and form factor, but enjoyed the Fat's durability.
Now, I use my ps3 to play my PS2 games in HD!

If you do buy one, get the warranty as suggested above! Honestly, if I did buy a used system from GameStop, I would ALWAYS buy an extra warranty.

[quote name='TheKbob']WARNING DO NOT BUY.

These aren't used PS2s, but Gamestop Refurbished models. A great majority of the time, these models are garbage and die just a little after warranty periods are up. Was a Gamestop lackey for almost 5 years, the refurbished consoles were boomerangs. What went out almost always came back. It's not 100%, but I'd save your pennies and get a new console or find a respectable used one from a friend, colleague, ebay auction, etc.

If not, get the one year warranty. Don't scream shill, I don't work there anymore, but trust me. The refurbished models are TERRIBLE. More so the refurbished fatties. Oh and do note that your likelihood of getting an actual Sony controller is poor at best. You'll get either a defunct brand or a Gamestop special. Either of which will probably play terrible.[/QUOTE]

None of what you said surprises me and I don't doubt that many of these consoles may die at any time. That's why I bought it with the 2-year warranty for only $8....sure, I may go through a few consoles during that time, but that's still not too bad of deal for only $48 (actually, a longer warranty than I'd get with a new console).

And as you said, I did get a generic PS2 controller (non-DualShock by the weight of it), but when I stopped by the same GameStop store they swapped it with a translucent blue PS2 DualShock 2 controller...no problem at all. Iit was pretty dirty, but it cleaned up fine...though I'm still not sure if the DualShock function is working since I haven't felt it vibrate with anything I've played yet.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to determine if the dual-shock feature is working in the controller? Other than Killone, I only have some RPGs that I don't expect use the DualShock feature.

I'll probably pick up a new PS2 console at some point if I can catch them at the occasional $50 - $60 price, but since I didn't have a PS2 before, this didn't seem like a bad deal.

[quote name='DarkonJohn']None of what you said surprises me and I don't doubt that many of these consoles may die at any time. That's why I bought it with the 2-year warranty for only $8....sure, I may go through a few consoles during that time, but that's still not too bad of deal for only $48 (actually, a longer warranty than I'd get with a new console).

And as you said, I did get a generic PS2 controller (non-DualShock by the weight of it), but when I stopped by the same GameStop store they swapped it with a translucent blue PS2 DualShock 2 controller...no problem at all. Iit was pretty dirty, but it cleaned up fine...though I'm still not sure if the DualShock function is working since I haven't felt it vibrate with anything I've played yet.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to determine if the dual-shock feature is working in the controller? Other than Killone, I only have some RPGs that I don't expect use the DualShock feature.

I'll probably pick up a new PS2 console at some point if I can catch them at the occasional $50 - $60 price, but since I didn't have a PS2 before, this didn't seem like a bad deal.[/QUOTE]

My warning is just that. I would not buy one knowing the ins and outs of the process; most employees should.

$48 for a system ain't bad, I gotta admit. If my slim silver PS2 was acting crappy, I'd jump on it. Thought it's probably sad since I haven't played it in months.

Keep in mind, unless the online warranty is different, that $8 / 2 years is for only that system. So if it poops out, you will get a replacement and an opportunity to buy a new warranty for that replacement system. That was how it worked 2 years ago. I am sure not much has changed, but I'd read your fine print.

And if you have to get one, do not get the Phat unless you plan on modding it yourself and/or fiddling with the hardware or using it for parts. The phatties are terrible from the refurb process given their moving parts (the trays will probably sound like a worn out transmission grinding gears) and their knack for hating CD based games. Get a slim, get a warranty, and hope for the best. Invest in a Sony controller if you do not get one. Oh, and pray you don't get the Gamestop brand multi-console A/V adapter. Those are piles of garbage too that degrade in quality or sometimes just don't work. The return rate on those was pretty bad too.

I decided to get a PS2 again and for a second, considered getting a used one from GS, but I'd rather spend the extra $30 and get a new system.

Any recommends for games that are reasonably cheap? I've had PS2's before, but not huge amount of games. I'm looking for stuff that won't get a HD release, at least not for a long while. I have all of the current HD PS3 releases. I have these PS2 games coming so far:

GTA Trilogy
Star Wars Battlefront 1 and 2
Killzone
Rocky
Enter the Matrix

[quote name='Indyjones']I decided to get a PS2 again and for a second, considered getting a used one from GS, but I'd rather spend the extra $30 and get a new system.

Any recommends for games that are reasonably cheap? I've had PS2's before, but not huge amount of games. I'm looking for stuff that won't get a HD release, at least not for a long while. I have all of the current HD PS3 releases. I have these PS2 games coming so far:

GTA Trilogy
Killzone
Rocky
Enter the Matrix[/QUOTE]

Get the Hitman games if you haven't played them. My favorite franchise all time. And Blood Money is my favorite game ever. Although Blood Money is available for the 360, so if you have that, get it for that system as the graphics are just fantastic compared to the PS2. And Silent Assassin I just bought from Amazon Warehouse deals for $1.80 with free Prime Shipping. Also, the SOCOM series is very good and also cheap. And if you like plat-formers, get the Ratchet and Clank games.

BTW, in case anyone might be interested, Killzone will be available on PSN for 9.99 later this month. I think somewhere around the 24th-ish

[quote name='JP73']Get the Hitman games if you haven't played them. My favorite franchise all time. And Blood Money is my favorite game ever. Although Blood Money is available for the 360, so if you have that, get it for that system as the graphics are just fantastic compared to the PS2. And Silent Assassin I just bought from Amazon Warehouse deals for $1.80 with free Prime Shipping. Also, the SOCOM series is very good and also cheap. And if you like plat-formers, get the Ratchet and Clank games.

BTW, in case anyone might be interested, Killzone will be available on PSN for 9.99 later this month. I think somewhere around the 24th-ish[/QUOTE]

have u seen the new hitman absolute -runforyourlife- gameplay trailer on psn??? sooooo incredible.

[quote name='JP73']Get the Hitman games if you haven't played them. My favorite franchise all time. And Blood Money is my favorite game ever. Although Blood Money is available for the 360, so if you have that, get it for that system as the graphics are just fantastic compared to the PS2. And Silent Assassin I just bought from Amazon Warehouse deals for $1.80 with free Prime Shipping. Also, the SOCOM series is very good and also cheap. And if you like plat-formers, get the Ratchet and Clank games.

BTW, in case anyone might be interested, Killzone will be available on PSN for 9.99 later this month. I think somewhere around the 24th-ish[/QUOTE]

I'll have to look into Hitman. I'd get Ratchet and Clank, but I think it's a given those will get a HD release. What about Resident Evil 4? Or should I get that on the wii,.....or other?

[quote name='Indyjones']I decided to get a PS2 again and for a second, considered getting a used one from GS, but I'd rather spend the extra $30 and get a new system.

GTA Trilogy
Killzone
Rocky
Enter the Matrix[/QUOTE]

If you are into the horror genre, Silent Hill 2 is one of the best. If you can find it, get the GH version as it has extra content that is not available on the black label version.

Suikoden, Persona, Kingdom Hearts.... this list could go on and on.

is this a dumb question? are silver models under the same generic term of just slim models? always had my eye on those....

I have 2 PS2's, fat model and slim model. Fat model does a great job at reading scratched dvd's, slim model will reject them. The slim model also has the remote sensor built in, but I found a remote that came with the separate sensor at Gamestop for 2.99, though I can't imagine it is easy to find the remote that comes with the separate sensor these days, I think I got lucky on that one. Both are good though, I paid $20 for my fat model and $8 for my slim model, got both of my units at yard sales, they are easy finds at yard sales here for $10 or less. I passed up several PS2's last summer, but I would get another if I could find an alternate color.

I would look on craigslist for a one-owner PS2 before I bought one of these refurbished models from Gamestop.

I guess I will chime in too. I have several of each style.

The fats could have more problems overall, but I still prefer them.

FAT:
1) Can get disc read errors
2) The tray can be slow/grinding

SLIM:
1) Get hotter quicker
2) Can have the spindle hub break (I had one playstation and one sony CD player that both had bad spindlehubs).
3) More difficult to use vertically

I actually have one of the old remotes complete with packaging with the sensor, but I used it like once, and then put it away. I think it was one of my first redemptions from the SONY card...I think Einhander was my first redemption.

[quote name='slowdive21']I guess I will chime in too. I have several of each style.

The fats could have more problems overall, but I still prefer them.

FAT:
1) Can get disc read errors
2) The tray can be slow/grinding

SLIM:
1) Get hotter quicker
2) Can have the spindle hub break (I had one playstation and one sony CD player that both had bad spindlehubs).
3) More difficult to use vertically

I actually have one of the old remotes complete with packaging with the sensor, but I used it like once, and then put it away. I think it was one of my first redemptions from the SONY card...I think Einhander was my first redemption.[/QUOTE]

I used my remote a lot after I got it to play DVD's since my dvd player was busted. For the 2.99 I paid for the remote I sure got a lot of use out of it. However I recently took out the dvd player again and blew into it and bam it worked, no joke there either (perhaps it started working again after banging it around in the closet it a bit). The Phat PS2 handled all the library dvd's wonderfully, it did skip when the dvd was scratched but that was much better than having something like the slim not read the disc at all.

bread's done
Back