USPS/Ebay Help

MrDubbs

CAGiversary!
Feedback
53 (100%)
I purchased an item on Ebay on March 21st, which was promptly shipped out by the seller. I guess they purchased a tracking number, but never gave it to me. After waiting a bit, I was in contact with the seller, because the item seemed to be taking forever to come. So finally, they send me the tracking number, and the package seems to be stuck? In Allen Park, MI, which is around 2 hours or so away from me, in Adrian MI.

These are the tracking results

Detailed Results:
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
bullet_circle.gif
Processed through Sort Facility, March 27, 2010, 12:30 am, ALLEN PARK, MI 48101
bullet_circle.gif
Processed through Sort Facility, March 23, 2010, 8:08 am, BELL, CA 90201
bullet_circle.gif
Acceptance, March 22, 2010, 1:15 pm, ANAHEIM, CA 92812

I understand that it's really just a "Delivery Confirmation," however, it's been a week since, it's last movement, and it should have been here by now.

What are my options? Am I allowed to file a lost package claim? or do you need to have insurance for that? It wasn't offered on the item. Does the seller have to file? Whose move is it? I've never had something like this happen before.

Thanks

[quote name='MrDubbs']I purchased an item on Ebay on March 21st, which was promptly shipped out by the seller. I guess they purchased a tracking number, but never gave it to me. After waiting a bit, I was in contact with the seller, because the item seemed to be taking forever to come. So finally, they send me the tracking number, and the package seems to be stuck? In Allen Park, MI, which is around 2 hours or so away from me, in Adrian MI.

These are the tracking results

Detailed Results:
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
bullet_circle.gif
Processed through Sort Facility, March 27, 2010, 12:30 am, ALLEN PARK, MI 48101
bullet_circle.gif
Processed through Sort Facility, March 23, 2010, 8:08 am, BELL, CA 90201
bullet_circle.gif
Acceptance, March 22, 2010, 1:15 pm, ANAHEIM, CA 92812

I understand that it's really just a "Delivery Confirmation," however, it's been a week since, it's last movement, and it should have been here by now.

What are my options? Am I allowed to file a lost package claim? or do you need to have insurance for that? It wasn't offered on the item. Does the seller have to file? Whose move is it? I've never had something like this happen before.

Thanks[/QUOTE]

You'll want to relax a bit, actually. I've seen items (particularly if sent Media Mail) hang out at distribution centers for over a week. First, sometimes simply checking with your local Post Office can get it tracked down. It's good to have a reliable contact there who may be able to grease a wheel or two at the distribution center ("sort facility") to ensure that a Media Mail package doesn't get bumped from the next truck yet again.

If you haven't seen hide nor hair of it by Friday, this is what you should do:

1) Check the eBay auction item description to determine what the appropriate delivery time frame is supposed to be.

2) If well outside the "delivery" time frame as listed in the item description (over a week or longer, but still within the time frame you're allowed to file a dispute), then contact the Seller and request a full refund. Do this at least twice to demonstrate effort to resolve. Do so via the eBay PM system and do so in a very professional manner. Do not threaten negative feedback if the seller is non-responsive. Only speak to "issue escalation".

3) If the Seller does not provide a refund, file a dispute via eBay using their dispute resolution process. You should be covered against eBay's Buyer Protection policy.

4) The Seller will have 7 days to respond. If they cannot provide electronic proof of delivery (not proof of just shipping), you'll likely be awarded a refund at that time.

You didn't have to purchase insurance for the item. In fact, the seller has to purchase insurance to protect themselves against lost packages, shipping damage, etc. It is the seller's responsibility to get the item to you in the condition described (a policy some sellers neglect to read). Sellers also must electronic proof of delivery (not simply proof of shipping) to have any chance at winning and/or appealing an Item not Received eBay dispute.

That being said, my initial advice holds: Relax a bit. You'll probably get the item in a couple days even without enlisting the help of your friendly local USPS employee. When you do receive it (and I think you will), please don't ding the Seller's detailed seller ratings for shipping speed unless they downgraded the shipping you paid for. For example, if you paid Priority and they shipped Media Mail, they likely caused the delay in transit. However, if the buyer knew the item was going out Media Mail, delays should be expected even though he seller shipped very quickly.

I had the same issue where I purchased a USB wireless dongle. Seller shipped it out, and 4 weeks later it still wasn't here. DC# was similar to yours, as it showed being processed, but no movement after that. I finally filed a claim, and the seller was nice enough to refund my purchase. 3 weeks later, it finally showed up. I live in KS, so pretty much anything shipped 1st class gets here within 4-5 days from either coast. Not sure what the hell USPS was doing with it, but it took over 7 weeks to get here.

You have 45 days to file a claim. I'd say wait a minimum of 4 weeks to file, if anything just to put it out there that you haven't received it. If it gets closer to the 45 day time-frame, you can escalate the claim and go from there.

Thanks for the advice SteelSD, and SlammedNiss. I've just never had something like this happen before, so I didn't know who was responsible.

I don't think the seller sent it media mail, it was a framed picture, so I don't think that can be sent Media. I guess time will tell

I once mailed out two packages, one going to TN and the other going to MA(I'm in PA). The one going to TN arrived FIRST and both were sent USPS first class mail.

The one going to MA spent over a week bouncing around the Boston, MA sorting facility being sorted and re-sorted over and over and finally about a week and a half after I mailed it(actually more I think), it FINALLY arrived.

The package you're waiting on probably also got slowed down by the glut of Easter mail in the stream right now(as did the package I sent since it was around a holiday too I think), so I'd just give it till the end of the week.

If nothing shows up by then, then I might start to worry, but like I said with all of the mail that was floating around due to Easter it probably got bogged down someplace along the way and will show up soon.

bread's done
Back