Valkyria Chronicles 3

It's a real bummer that it isn't going to the PS3. I would gladly give up the portability of the PSP versions to play on the PS3 with my 52" screen and 5.1 surround sound.

But its another VC game, so at least Sega realizes that it's a great series to keep around.

Yeah, it's a little disappointing. However, based on the Japanese release date in (January 27, 2011) we could very well have another Valkyria Chronicles game by this time next year! :whee:
[Valkyria Chronicles II was released on January 21, 2010 in Japan]
http://www.joystiq.com/2010/09/14/valkyria-chronicles-3-launching-on-psp-in-jan-2011/

...I'm still not giving up hope that we'll see another Valkyria Chronicles game on the Playstation 3. Making a Playstation 3 game takes more time to make than one for the PSP, so even if they were to announce it in development it wouldn't be released so soon after the release of VC2.

VC3 on PSP is still better than no VC3 at all, I guess. If Sega ever releases a (good) Skies of Arcadia sequel, however, all will be forgiven (at least by me XD).

I just bought a PSP, so I'm glad it's getting titles... But man, I'd love if I could just play these on the PS3. I'm not a portable gamer, bought the PSP cause it has good games. Too bad the TV-out doesn't fill the whole screen.

Now we know for sure where these guys are from...

image162.png

http://www.siliconera.com/2010/09/09/new-valkyria-chronicles-characters-deployed-on-official-blog/

Also, "n an interview with Famitsu, Shinji Motoyama, Producer, mentioned the long development time between the PSP and the PS3 version (over two years) was one of the reasons Valkyria Chronicles 3 is on PSP. He feels they need an innovative idea to make a new PS3 game standout."

http://www.siliconera.com/2010/09/14/valkyria-chronicles-3-confirmed-for-psp/

So..that means more of the same for VC3? I'm glad he wants to save something big for another console release -- but all the small rehashes go to PSP? This is what damaged the system's library so much. Not saying VC2 is bad or anything.

Reading a lot of the interviews and stuff compiled over on Neogaf, the came looks downright awesome. The game looks to be taking everything people hate about VS2 (Storyline, generic characters, etc) and fixing them up nicely.

Sure, I'd like it on the PS3, but as long as its a good game, I'll play it regardless of what system its on.

Yeah I'd love for VC improve it's story telling and character writing -- it's cool developers can acknowledge stuff like that, and not pretend like what they do is perfect (i.e. Bioware).

Here's a somewhat lengthy write-up about everything - Link. Of note is that the series takes place concurrently with VC1, but is an entirely self-contained story. You need-not play through the first ones in order to fully get this one.

Here's also some scans from Famitsu - Link Link Link

Overall, cannot wait for it.

Good thing I kept my PSP, but seriously SEGA? Hopefully this one has a better story and characters.

Dammit.. I was really hoping for a PS3 release. I tried playing the VC2 demo on the PSP and it just doesn't feel the same. I would have bought it day one for the PS3 but I'm gonna bother til it's cheap (just like I am with VCII). I hate playing games on portables if I'm not on the road.

Anyone know why they chose to make VC3 for the PSP?

Is it because the PSP is more popular in Japan?

[quote name='Gunsou']Anyone know why they chose to make VC3 for the PSP?

Is it because the PSP is more popular in Japan?[/QUOTE]

Its all about the money. It costs too much time and money to develop for the PS3.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']At least this looks better than 2. Though even a game starring Hans from the first game would probably have a more compelling narrative than 2.[/QUOTE]

lol woah are you saying VC2's plot is even worse than the original's?

[quote name='Brownjohn']Its all about the money. It costs too much time and money to develop for the PS3.[/QUOTE]

Well, it also cost them a lot of time (2 years) and money to make Valkyria Chronicles 2 work on the PSP. Given the size and scope of the game, I find it absolutely amazing that they were able to make it work so well without excessive load times. With the 3DS coming out in Q1 2011, I think this may be their last opportunity to release another Valkyria Chronicles game on the PSP while it is still relevant.

I took the second part of the producer's statement as a tease. I think it shows that they haven't ruled out the possibility of VCIV on the PS3. Otherwise, there's no reason to mention it at all.

[quote name='KillerRamen']Well, it also cost them a lot of time (2 years) and money to make Valkyria Chronicles 2 work on the PSP. Given the size and scope of the game, I find it absolutely amazing that they were able to make it work so well without excessive load times. With the 3DS coming out in Q1 2011, I think this may be their last opportunity to release another Valkyria Chronicles game on the PSP while it is still relevant.

I took the second part of the producer's statement as a tease. I think it shows that they haven't ruled out the possibility of VCIV on the PS3. Otherwise, there's no reason to mention it at all.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure they weren't working on the game for the entire two year period between releases. The first game didn't start selling well enough to justify a sequel until the MSRP dropped to $20-$30.

[quote name='panzerfaust']lol woah are you saying VC2's plot is even worse than the original's?[/QUOTE]

I thought the original had a great plot...

Are you dead inside?:p

[quote name='Vinny']I thought the original had a great plot...

Are you dead inside?:p[/QUOTE]

hey now i loved the game, but i dont see how you could call its plot or character writing anything short of terrible.
"AHH, OF COURSE -- THE BIG TOWER IN THE CAPITAL CITY WAS A GIANT SPEAR ALL ALONG, who would think to look there?"

[quote name='panzerfaust']hey now i loved the game, but i dont see how you could call its plot or character writing anything short of terrible.
"AHH, OF COURSE -- THE BIG TOWER IN THE CAPITAL CITY WAS A GIANT SPEAR ALL ALONG, who would think to look there?"
[/QUOTE]

I thought it was well done... sure it was cheesy and maybe some of it was kinda "lol wut?" but still, the characters were a fun bunch and the story was delivered using a perfect mix of emotions, pacing, and context.

Famitsu had a lengthy interview with Shinji Motoyama and asked them a bunch of great questions. The first question is why they chose to release the 3rd installment on the Playstation Portable. He stated that there are numerous reasons, one being that they wanted to further develop the series beyond what they achieved with the last game. Shinji knows that some gamers will be upset due to the game not being on the Playstation 3. He stated that if they brought the game over to the Playstation 3, they would need revolutionary ideas and not just update the gameplay. If they brought these "new ideas" it might not feel like the same game anymore. He said that the team is taking ideas and feedback, if they come up with something that warrants a Playstation 3 game, they will bring the series to Playstation 3.

"In an era where everyone is busy, we felt PSP was best in order to make Valkyria Chronicles bigger." -Shinji Motoyama
So, what'll it take to be different? Side-scrolling beat-em up?

[quote name='panzerfaust']lol woah are you saying VC2's plot is even worse than the original's?[/QUOTE]

I thought 1's was good (though not the most original, the presentation was fantastic), but seriously, if you thought it was bad, don't even touch 2.

bread's done
Back