Valkyria Chronicles - Gen. Discussion & Info

:/

Yeah that's what I figured. I wonder how likely it will be that they patch it in after it's been out so long. Ratchet & Clank: ToD doesn't have trophies; neither does Quest for Booty (I know they're a different publisher/developer)...

I guess the only way it could know you earned the trophy, after the fact, is if the particular thing is saved in your save file.

[quote name='jh6269']:/

Yeah that's what I figured. I wonder how likely it will be that they patch it in after it's been out so long. Ratchet & Clank: ToD doesn't have trophies; neither does Quest for Booty (I know they're a different publisher/developer)...

I guess the only way it could know you earned the trophy, after the fact, is if the particular thing is saved in your save file.[/QUOTE]

There are two reasons people are hopeful.
1. The game itself has a rewards system that would line up nicely with the trophy system. In theory this might make it easier to implement trophies, but that certainly didn't appear to be the case with Bionic commando Rearmed
2. Sega has said it would like to try to integrate trophies, but there hasn't been much word since then.

If you aren't going to buy the game because of Trophies, I say that it doesn't need Trophies, but I'd like Trophies as an incentive to go back and play it again. At $20 you can't really go wrong with the Best RPG released this generation (And not just JRPG's either). I honestly find it refreshing to go through a game that doesn't have Trophies/Achievements because there's no pressure to do certain things certain ways because you'll have to play through the game for 20 hours again to do it if you screw up.

[quote name='KingBroly']If you aren't going to buy the game because of Trophies, I say that it doesn't need Trophies, but I'd like Trophies as an incentive to go back and play it again. At $20 you can't really go wrong with the Best RPG released this generation (And not just JRPG's either). I honestly find it refreshing to go through a game that doesn't have Trophies/Achievements because there's no pressure to do certain things certain ways because you'll have to play through the game for 20 hours again to do it if you screw up.[/QUOTE]

I think you're confusing someone who likes challenges with a trophy whore. Trophy whores are the ones that will go back and play through a game again if they miss something. Someone who likes challenges will go for the trophies that are independent of the games story/campaign. Example; "kill 7 chickens in 10 seconds on [insert level here]". This is something I would go for. But if I'm even remotely beyond a point where I missed and item in order to get a trophy, fuck it, I'm not going to restart just to get that trophy.

Trophies are fun though, especially for people like me who like to unlock/collect all the stuff. Now, with trophies, we actually have something to show for it :D

If the sole reason you aren't playing VC (or for that matter, any game) just because it lacks trophies, then you suck. Playing the game itself should be the reward. Also, if you need something "to show for it" when you're playing a game, you're either playing pretty crappy games or playing games for the wrong reason.

[quote name='Salamando3000']If the sole reason you aren't playing VC (or for that matter, any game) just because it lacks trophies, then you suck. Playing the game itself should be the reward. Also, if you need something "to show for it" when you're playing a game, you're either playing pretty crappy games or playing games for the wrong reason.[/QUOTE]
This.

[quote name='F Bomb']This.[/QUOTE]
This. Trophies & achievements are a waste of your time & nobody cares what your gamerscore is. Play games based on the game not whether they have trophies.

[quote name='SynGamer']I think you're confusing someone who likes challenges with a trophy whore. Trophy whores are the ones that will go back and play through a game again if they miss something. Someone who likes challenges will go for the trophies that are independent of the games story/campaign. Example; "kill 7 chickens in 10 seconds on [insert level here]". This is something I would go for. But if I'm even remotely beyond a point where I missed and item in order to get a trophy, fuck it, I'm not going to restart just to get that trophy.[/QUOTE]

*Raises Hand

[quote name='Salamando3000']If the sole reason you aren't playing VC (or for that matter, any game) just because it lacks trophies, then you suck. Playing the game itself should be the reward. Also, if you need something "to show for it" when you're playing a game, you're either playing pretty crappy games or playing games for the wrong reason.[/QUOTE]

I understand what you are saying and to some degree I agree with you, but it isn't really fair to say games could possibly be played "for the wrong reason." For some people, trophy hunting is fun.

Finally picked up Valkyria Chronicles today. Unfortunately, I had to buy it used from gamestop, and I didn't get a manual =( Regardless, I'm excited to start this after I finish Borderlands and Demon's Souls.

Anyone know where I can get a manual?

[quote name='Brownjohn']Finally picked up Valkyria Chronicles today. Unfortunately, I had to buy it used from gamestop, and I didn't get a manual =( Regardless, I'm excited to start this after I finish Borderlands and Demon's Souls.

Anyone know where I can get a manual?[/QUOTE]

Do you have a billion Gamestops in your area? You may be able to get a diferent used copy and just swap them out.

[quote name='SDC']Do you have a billion Gamestops in your area? You may be able to get a diferent used copy and just swap them out.[/QUOTE]

There are probably about 10-12 within 15 miles, but no one else had any copies according to the website, and I didn't feel like calling all of them to double check.

[quote name='Brownjohn']There are probably about 10-12 within 15 miles, but no one else had any copies according to the website, and I didn't feel like calling all of them to double check.[/QUOTE]

You can call one and that one can check with the other stores (that's what they did when I went to GS).

Picked this one up when it dropped to $20 at Gamestop. On Chapter 4 and loving every minute of it. I can't believe i didn't pick it sooner but at $20 its a steal!

Ok, how do you unlock add'l skirmish episodes? Do they unlock as you progress, or does the next unlock after you get an A ranking in the previous?

I am not able to get an A rank in skirmish #1. I use the sniper to take most of the guys out, then I make a run for the enemy base, but no matter what I do, it takes me 2 turns and I get a B rank.

[quote name='jh6269']Ok, how do you unlock add'l skirmish episodes? Do they unlock as you progress, or does the next unlock after you get an A ranking in the previous?

I am not able to get an A rank in skirmish #1. I use the sniper to take most of the guys out, then I make a run for the enemy base, but no matter what I do, it takes me 2 turns and I get a B rank.[/QUOTE]

As you progress. Don't fret about not being able to get an A-Rank. Some of those aren't really possible until you get to higher levels and can do a proper scout-rush.

[quote name='jh6269']Ok, how do you unlock add'l skirmish episodes? Do they unlock as you progress, or does the next unlock after you get an A ranking in the previous?

I am not able to get an A rank in skirmish #1. I use the sniper to take most of the guys out, then I make a run for the enemy base, but no matter what I do, it takes me 2 turns and I get a B rank.[/QUOTE]

If Skirmish 1 is the one I'm thinking of, you can take 1 scout on the right away from most enemies, and just keep moving him/her until you get to the enemy base. You only need to take out like two guys.

[quote name='Salamando3000']As you progress. Don't fret about not being able to get an A-Rank. Some of those aren't really possible until you get to higher levels and can do a proper scout-rush.[/QUOTE]

Suckage. I wanted to level up some more before I continue; as I only have 1 skirmish to use, it's really freaking boring.

[quote name='SDC']If Skirmish 1 is the one I'm thinking of, you can take 1 scout on the right away from most enemies, and just keep moving him/her until you get to the enemy base. You only need to take out like two guys.[/QUOTE]

It will be tough because they have a shocktrooper near the base that will cut me down. I might give it another shot, but it doesn't matter if I get an A or not, it doesn't unlock more skirmishes.

[quote name='Salamando3000']As you progress. Don't fret about not being able to get an A-Rank. Some of those aren't really possible until you get to higher levels and can do a proper scout-rush.[/QUOTE]

This, plus skirmishes are hardly necessary. You can complete the story mode of the game without doing any of them.

[quote name='jh6269']Suckage. I wanted to level up some more before I continue; as I only have 1 skirmish to use, it's really freaking boring.

It will be tough because they have a shocktrooper near the base that will cut me down. I might give it another shot, but it doesn't matter if I get an A or not, it doesn't unlock more skirmishes.[/QUOTE]

I'd only really recommend grinding out levels on skirmishes whenever you're unable to beat the mission you're currently on. Otherwise being too high a level can detract from the epic-ness of some of the fights. If you're worried about getting a crappy rank, you can do a "new game +" version that'll allow you to correct that.

If you're just starting out, a big piece of advice is to always try to keep your squad as light as possible...it's usually a lot faster to push forward, take a base, and deploy from there, than it is to deploy heavily at the beginning and march them forth.

@salamando

I think it's because I am not great at strategy games, but I'm struggling with the game. I haven't really failed a main episode, but I feel like I'm kind of gimping through the game, so I want to beef up a bit so I don't completely suck.

I'm on level 5 or 6 (desert level), I just beat the woodland level with the huge badass tank. I lost a few guys, I was able to evacuate them, so they're not gone for good. Anyway, leveling up has helped me have more fun with the game. If I can get my snipers to hit on every shot, I'll be happy.

The parts that really get me are when you have the tank and 3 or 4 guys. I usually try to get an engineer and maybe either a sniper or the lookout guys (forgot what they're called), along with a shock trooper or a lancer. It's really been hard to keep my support people (engineer, sniper) alive to get them where they need to be.

But overall, I really like the game. It's definitely different than any type of game I've ever played before. I really like the art style and the story, so I'm hoping I'm going to be able to finish it.

[quote name='metaly']

There's also a soundtrack to the TV series that's been out for a few months. I just found out that it's also by Hitoshi Sakimoto (should have known) so I'll definitely be ordering that soon. There's no listing for the VC2 soundtrack yet.[/QUOTE]

Well durr. Most of the music in the animu was stolen from the game, from what I watched of it.

I just bought this game at Gamestop for $20. I've played only a couple hours, maybe even a little less, and I'm hooked. I'd never played a strategy RPG before, but I like what I'm seeing.

[quote name='Supplice']Nope, Sega WOW is just lazy like that.[/QUOTE]

Yup. I am mad at Sega for their treatment of this game. It came out in the trophy age and they didn't care at all. That really adds shelf life to a game and builds goodwill with your fanbase/customers.

Way older games like Uncharted, GTA 4, Bad Company get trophy patches... a game that comes out when trophies exist gets none.

But just see Sonic's last 15 years to see how Sega feels about its own properties. :applause:

[quote name='thelonepig']The game has a built-in trophy system with the medals. Is it really that big of a difference to have it show up on your trophy count?[/QUOTE]

Exactly. So a patch would be that much easier, a la Uncharted. No, it isn't that big of a deal and the game is still great. But it looks bad on Sega and leaves some gamers without want to play it, IMO.

[quote name='Saint Noir']Exactly. So a patch would be that much easier, a la Uncharted. No, it isn't that big of a deal and the game is still great. But it looks bad on Sega and leaves some gamers without want to play it, IMO.[/QUOTE]

This pretty much sums up my opinion. It wouldn't take much effort to implement the trophies...and it would go a long way in terms of customer loyalty/reputation if SEGA added trophies.

[quote name='SynGamer']This pretty much sums up my opinion. It wouldn't take much effort to implement the trophies...and it would go a long way in terms of customer loyalty/reputation if SEGA added trophies.[/QUOTE]

If only SEGA would read these posts.

It is not as if they don't know... they got tons of requests... tons of responses about it on the official Playstation blog... tons of requests on their own forums... they just suck.

I think it's a good thing... I hate how trophy talk always takes over in game discussions.

Here's a few pics from the development artworks, for those interested:

DSC_1272.jpg

DSC_1275.jpg

DSC_1278.jpg

DSC_1279.jpg

DSC_1280.jpg

[quote name='KingBroly']Demonic looking Welkin and Alicia look awesome. At least I think that's Alicia.[/QUOTE]

That is one of the original concept arts that was put together to push the game into production. At that point, the game was going to be called Gallian Panzers.

It's a very interesting read (wish I knew a bit more kanji to really get into it, but I can at least get the gist of what is going on).

Too keep things fair, would people be willing to pay $2 or so to get trophy support off of PSN? It's kind of funny that Ratchet and Clank, Resistance 1 and VC never got a patch especially when you go on the message boards that is all people ask about.

I just finished Borderlands and I have Valkyria Chronicles just sitting in my backlog. I was trying to wait for some sort of Trophy patch but it really looks like thats not happening. Im dying to play a game with a great story and I've heard excellent things about this one.

Think I can finish it before Heavy Rain comes out?

[quote name='wildcpac']Too keep things fair, would people be willing to pay $2 or so to get trophy support off of PSN? It's kind of funny that Ratchet and Clank, Resistance 1 and VC never got a patch especially when you go on the message boards that is all people ask about.[/QUOTE]

I'd pay $2 for Trophy support for R&C and VC easily :)

bread's done
Back