Valkyrie Profile Lenneth (PSP) reprint $30 w/free shipping at GQD

So Square-Enix, is working with GQD now. :) This means they can most likely reprint any of their latest gen titles. Those of you hoarding multiple sealed copies of Grandia III & VP2 might want to sell them soon. Buying games and hoping they become rare and valuable is not as easy as it was a few years ago. Especially when most of the reprints are identical to the originals. The PS2 and PSP are still well supported. So if any game (particularly RPG) gets too rare it will most likely get reprinted.

[quote name='RSGames']So Square-Enix, is working with GQD now. :) This means they can most likely reprint any of their latest gen titles. Those of you hoarding multiple sealed copies of Grandia III & VP2 might want to sell them soon. Buying games and hoping they become rare and valuable is not as easy as it was a few years ago. Especially when most of the reprints are identical to the originals. The PS2 and PSP are still well supported. So if any game (particularly RPG) gets too rare it will most likely get reprinted.[/quote]

PS2 reprints aren't identical though. They chanegd the case. New games/prints have a Playstation logo where the memory card holder used to be. So while you you wouldn't know you got a reprint until you openned the box, there is in fact a difference. And I don't have VP2 getting reprinted anytime soon. After the mild success of a revived series, Square has the habit it trying to milk a franchise. They tried to milk VP and because of that, a LOT of stores seem to still have copies. At least around here. But then again, I do see sealed VP:Ls all over. and IIRC, I saw some at Wal-mart for $20.... I might have to look into that.

what's the difference again between the 2 versions? i have the PS1 original in pristine condition, so do i really need this port?

[quote name='Chronis']PS2 reprints aren't identical though. They chanegd the case. New games/prints have a Playstation logo where the memory card holder used to be. So while you you wouldn't know you got a reprint until you openned the box, there is in fact a difference. And I don't have VP2 getting reprinted anytime soon. After the mild success of a revived series, Square has the habit it trying to milk a franchise. They tried to milk VP and because of that, a LOT of stores seem to still have copies. At least around here. But then again, I do see sealed VP:Ls all over. and IIRC, I saw some at Wal-mart for $20.... I might have to look into that.[/quote]

That's true but when people are reselling them they will all look alike. A perfect example is Disgaea. I see people on eBay all the time trying to sell the original with the Sony seal on for about $50+. Collectors don't even want to buy it. The only way the original print will retain value is if the reprint was marked as such. Like greatest hits reprints. Atlus reprinted DDS and Nocturne without bonuses. That keeps the value of the original sealed copies a little higher. If a game like Ar Tonelico can get a reprint, I wouldn't be surprised if VP2 becomes rare in the future and gets a reprint.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Lenneth is the PS1 VP game, ported to PSP.

FTR, those GQD coupon stickers are put on top of the shrinkwrap; the games they sell are still completely new and factory sealed, and the sticker can just be peeled off if you don't want it. And I think the coupon code will still work, despite the 2005 expiry date.[/quote]

LoL I want the PS1 game to collect as its expensive and hard to find.

Couldn't get the coupon to work after multiple tries so I just said screw it and ordered it anyway. With tax and shipping it almost came out to be retail price but I've been searching for this game for awhile (and almost payed $45 for it) so I don't mind.

I was in until I read this:

This game has slow-down. There is slow-down in this game. At points in the game, the action will slow-down. I can't possibly use the word slow-down enough. This game — this treasured gem of cult Playstation gaming — is not capable of running at its original frame-rate on a far more powerful machine. Square-Enix was unable to create a software emulator powerful enough, or to optimize the code well enough, to prevent this slow-down. Thus, the very beauty of the battle system — the speed and grace with which it is carried out — is ruined. Your ability to properly time attacks and combos can and will be hindered. This is, my friends, a 2D game with slow-down. And that ruins it.

Before you get all jumpy, allow me to explain. I understand the technical reasons for why this slow-down has occurred. Sony systems have always had a problem with 2D games: the low system memory cache on all their machines makes it hard for sprite-based games to operate properly; because the animations, character models and backgrounds are all being read in as sprites, the animations must be stored in the cache, and this is something the Sony-branded machines did not focus on. However, the fact that the developers — Enix when Enix was stand-alone - had originally solved the problem and now a port to a more powerful platform has issues that weren't present in the original infuriates me. There could not be a clearer illustration of how lazy developers are when it comes to the PSP.

But alas, I could ramble on and on. To put it simply, the game has technical issues that are specific to this "new and improved" version. I haven't even mentioned that the load times are also eons longer than they were in the original, nor have I touched upon the fact that the sprites have been washed out via anti-alias, just like Tales of Eternia, but I think I've got across my point: they've actually made the game worse.

Ultimately, Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth proves to be yet another port marred by problems. Though the original game — the game that is present at the very bottom-most layer of this production — is still in relative tact and has everything that made the original great, the new technical issues brought about by the port have had a detrimental affect on the original game.

[quote name='MrBoss']Why can't they reprint the PS1 VP :(.[/quote]because they can profit off of its sequels and ports (like VP: Lenneth). who knows they might even port it to digital formats (seems like thats one of the most profitable way to do it).

[quote name='phear3d']because they can profit off of its sequels and ports (like VP: Lenneth). who knows they might even port it to digital formats (seems like thats one of the most profitable way to do it).[/quote]

Also, no store that hadn't lost its marbles would use up precious shelf space on a PS1 game. It's sad that there's an aversion to carrying games that are more than a year old (stores sell old books, old movies, and old music, so why not old games?), but it's true.

[quote name='mrkapawutzis']Couldn't get the coupon to work after multiple tries so I just said screw it and ordered it anyway. With tax and shipping it almost came out to be retail price but I've been searching for this game for awhile (and almost payed $45 for it) so I don't mind.[/QUOTE]
I had the same problem as well, but ordered since I've been wanting to play this. Wonder if emailing GQD will help?

[quote name='Vegan']Also, no store that hadn't lost its marbles would use up precious shelf space on a PS1 game. It's sad that there's an aversion to carrying games that are more than a year old (stores sell old books, old movies, and old music, so why not old games?), but it's true.[/quote]

Because GQD and Amazon have loads of precious shelf space?

[quote name='devilmaycry218']I had the same problem as well, but ordered since I've been wanting to play this. Wonder if emailing GQD will help?[/QUOTE]

When I entered the coupon code from the initial page in the bottom lower right, i got a message at the bottom of the screen saying that the free shipping would be applied at checkout. At the top of the page, I got a message saying that the code was not recognized. I continued on to pay with PayPal and chose the USPS ground, and the free shipping was applied. Seems kinda buggy, but it worked.

[quote name='JMEPO']What makes this game so special? 30 bucks still seems a little pricy for a PSP game.[/quote]

Aren't most PSP games at least that, or more?

[quote name='JMEPO']What makes this game so special? 30 bucks still seems a little pricy for a PSP game.[/quote]

This game is awesome and has been OOP for awhile now. Not to mention, the original is worth ~$100. This is a steal at this price

[quote name='FoxAlive']they actually reprinted this? Now when's MVC2 going to be reprinted?[/QUOTE]

It's a PSP game that came out 2 years ago, hardly surprising.

Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 came out as recent as 5 years ago and Capcom no longer owns the Marvel license, which is one of the reasons the game was short-printed to begin with.

[quote name='RSGames']I heard they're trying to work out a deal to get Xenogears reprinted.[/quote]
Good. I missed it when overstock.com clearanced it for $12 last year.

So what's different from this re-print than the original print? I know it's a n00bish question but are there any actual differences in quality between the two?

Shipped yesterday and received today, no hassle. Free shipping was tricky but worked. Also, one of my games had a 2005 coupon slapped on it. :lol:

I'm one of those that is having some trouble using the free shipping coupon code. After adding the game to my cart and entering "CAGSHIP1" into the field at the bottom of the screen, I get this message:

"Sorry, the coupon code cagship1 is invalid. Please re-enter another coupon code"

:bomb:

Some others in this thread still seem to be able to get the coupon to work, but no matter what I try, I can't get it to take. I've verified that "First Class Shipping" is selected (and clicked the "Apply" button) - keeps coming up as $4.99 shipping on the Order Confirmation screen using all checkout methods.

Their system is broken as far as I can tell -- has anyone else figured out a universal workaround to get the coupon to take??

As a final thought - I'm not going to eat the $5 shipping because their system isn't working. CAG is supposed to have a "special" relationship with GQD (hense the coupon code), but quite frankly -- I'm NOT feeling the love here :cry:

[quote name='prateeko']So what's different from this re-print than the original print? I know it's a n00bish question but are there any actual differences in quality between the two?[/QUOTE]

Anyone who got the game have any input?

[quote name='Jimmypaine']
"Sorry, the coupon code cagship1 is invalid. Please re-enter another coupon code"[/QUOTE]

It's probably because the code is CAG1SHIP, not cagship1 per Cheapy's OP.

[quote name='bob330i']It's probably because the code is CAG1SHIP, not cagship1 per Cheapy's OP.[/quote]

!!!!!

Nice call - that was the issue! :applause:

Used the "CAG1SHIP" coupon, and it worked like a charm. I was starting to wonder if I was going crazy! Thanks for pointing out the error in the OP.

Now I'm officially in for one!

bread's done
Back