Variant Cover Art Thread (cataloging all cover variations and exclusives)

All of those can be noted but I was more referring to cover art variations... like doc said, that's more of a difference in how it's packaged like the RE4 Tin.

Well the best reason is that this is the Gamecube discussion forum...

Also, I don't know of many store exclusive PS2 or XB titles. Of course, I haven't really looked either.

can i add some more?

1) F-Zero GX has a variant cover, in English, check lik-sang.com.
2) BMXXXX also has a variant cover, girl with bike on beach, also check lik-sang.com.
3) MK: DD actually has 3 variations, the two metioned, plus the free with bundle, marked 'not for resale' on the back.
4) Plus most games were made in USA, but some have made in Japan variations. MK: DD and Loz:CE are just a few. Just check the back cover, and the inside ring on the underside of the disc. Happy Hunting!

[quote name='Mospeada_21']can i add some more?

2) BMXXXX also has a variant cover, girl with bike on beach, also check lik-sang.com.
3) MK: DD actually has 3 variations, the two metioned, plus the free with bundle, marked 'not for resale' on the back.
4) Plus most games were made in USA, but some have made in Japan variations. MK: DD and Loz:CE are just a few. Just check the back cover, and the inside ring on the underside of the disc. Happy Hunting![/QUOTE]
I couldn't find the F-Zero or BMX XXX covers you refer to. But the BMX XXX cover I believe is the inverted regular cover so it would not count as a variation since all copies have it.

If anyone has a picture of the MK:DD bundle version, that'd be great.

Also, that's very interesting about the "Made in" variations. I don't know if that would cross the line to absurd in cataloging them all, but I'd be willing to try. My thought is that opens the floodgates to all the different versions of a game etc (like SSBM with 00,01,02 already).

It's not a store exclusive, but Sly Cooper and the Theivius Raccoonus got a new cover when it went Greatest hits. And neither U.S. cover is as cool as the Japanese cover.

Yah, this is the Gamecube Variant cover thread...

And PAL or Japanese covers have no bearing on what I'd like to do... which is to catalog the variations over here. Arguably there are Canadian variations but no one has brought them up yet.

I just noticed the other day that my copy of windwaker that I'd picked up from blockbuster a while back has a big "FOR RENTAL USE" printed on the back of the cover right above the upc.

[quote name='JAMMR']Yah, this is the Gamecube Variant cover thread...[/QUOTE]

I know it's a GameCube thread, but there's no thread like this in the PS2 group, and I thought somebody might be interested. Sorry if I stepped on your toes.

EDIT: I didn't mean for the above to sound like I'm trying to pick a fight. I'm genuinely sorry if I made a faux pas (or however that's spelled) posting this in here.

[quote name='jclast']I know it's a GameCube thread, but there's no thread like this in the PS2 group, and I thought somebody might be interested. Sorry if I stepped on your toes.[/QUOTE]

Now now, no need for conflict. I suggest making a similar thread on the PS2 board if you're interested. Not only would it fit in more over there, but people there would likely have more information for you.

Yah the information is helpful, but it has no purpose here as I wouldn't know how to incorporate PS2 or Xbox stuff into the OP.

The rental use only stuff is interesting as well...I've never seen those although I've never really looked either. I would imagine at least all the major releases have a version like this. Interesting to say the least :)

The Urbz has a variant cover. Saw it earlier tonight at Fry's Electronics. The cover features downloadable songs from Black Eyed Peas.

[quote name='pinatamonkey']What about the Wind Waker/Bonus Disc combo?

IMG_4766%20(Small).jpg

From the Wal-Mart Gamecube/WW bundle[/QUOTE]

Is this one completely obscure or is it just me? I had never heard of it until I found it at a pawnshop yesterday for $5 :D

i'm thinking it's just you... or i'm unusually lucky, but i find that hard to believe.

i never saw it offered new, but i see used copies with that insert pretty often...

Theoretically, new would have only been inside the Gamecube box like the Zelda CE Bundles... I would imagine sealed copies of the WW/MQ will be rather rare because if you think about it, anyone buying a Gamecube is gonna open up their included game right away.

But yah, like the Doc said, there are copies of these all the time at used stores.

[quote name='Apossum']Is this one completely obscure or is it just me? I had never heard of it until I found it at a pawnshop yesterday for $5 :D[/QUOTE]

Coincedentally, there's a thread going on at Digital Press right now with some information on it:

Link

Nice find btw! I have yet to see one of these in the wild.

Have you actually seen that in stores? I saw it once and I am pretty sure that is a sticker on the outer plastic wrapping.

the pure evil 2-pack has been released with a different cover box...

it now contains 2 characters on the front, whereas the original box did not. i don't know who the characters are, as i don't really play the RE games. i think it's the guy from RE0 and the girl from REmake? i could be wrong.

i also suspect that this release doesn't contain the offer for a free RE4 preview disc.

saw it at frys tonight for $30

there's a variant cover of Mat Hoffman's Pro BMX 2:

version 1 (older): front cover, Activision O2 logo, and 'Official Nintendo Seal of Quality'.
back cover, Memory Card Uses 18 Blocks, Made in USA, contains ISBN,
and ESRB rating uses an older style.

version 2 (newer): front cover, regular Activision logo. and 'Official Nintendo Seal'.
back cover, Memory Card Uses 17 Blocks, Made in JAPAN, does not
contain ISBN, and ESRB rating uses the current style.

plus a few other minor differences.

I saw another variant of Star Wars: Bounty Hunter. It looks almost exactly like the regular (non-limited) version, but has a blurb (front cover, near the bottom) about an included SWCCG promo card. This is the only time I've seen the variation, in viewing upwards of 50+ copies (used and new) of the regular version at various retail locations.

I found a link to the promo card (#13) here:
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=swtcg/cardlist/promo

Has anyone else seen this cover art variation and/or have more info regarding its availability (ie. was it a LucasArtsStore.com exclusive)?

[quote name='JAMMR']Well besides what my first post says about it, essentially it's another way for Nintendo to say "this is a popular title".

Again, it's only first party titles and they get shipped right at launch. The criteria to meet BS requirements is something low (I've heard 10,000 copies) essentially making it an arbitrary label to just say "this is a name brand first party game and you will like it".

Part of the SSBM controversy is that it was originally Player's Choice, then when Nintendo said all PC games will be $19.99, they realized that SSBM was still selling at $29.99, so they took it off Player's Choice and shipped subsequent copies with just the Best Seller logo.

And now, when a first party title (that's already been released prior to Sept 04) hits Player's Choice, it gets the yellow bar plus the BS logo.[/quote]

Sorry, but this is inaccurate.

The original SSBM was released without a Player's Choice or Best Seller logo.
Then it was released with the Best Seller logo.
Finally, it was released with the Player's Choice logo.

Interesting note about the PC version - the title on the spine is in Black lettering, rather than the white lettering of the previous two releases.

I can confirm all of this, because I own all three. ;)

[quote name='Scorch']You say you've updated the original post, yet it still says 'need pic' next to the Bounty Hunter LE.. I posted a picture of it.. not sure if it's from Best Buy, but it's a LE of Bounty Hunter.[/quote]

There are three versions of the SW: BH game.

First release was the normal cover art with a small promo at the bottom that mentions the free card inside.
Shortly thereafter was the Limited Edition cover art (close-up) of Jango Fett's helmet.
Final release was original cover art without card promo.

[quote name='Mospeada_21']can i add some more?

[/quote]

No variant art for these games - these are early pre-release cover art designs.

[quote name='Apossum']Is this one completely obscure or is it just me? I had never heard of it until I found it at a pawnshop yesterday for $5 :D[/quote]

I "might" be mistaken, but I believe that this was the pack-in for the Zelda system bundle, not sold separately.

Similar to the Metroid Prime/Metroid Prime 2 pack-in.

[quote name='JAMMR']Have you actually seen that in stores? I saw it once and I am pretty sure that is a sticker on the outer plastic wrapping.[/quote]

You are correct sir!

[quote name='koster']I saw another variant of Star Wars: Bounty Hunter. It looks almost exactly like the regular (non-limited) version, but has a blurb (front cover, near the bottom) about an included SWCCG promo card. This is the only time I've seen the variation, in viewing upwards of 50+ copies (used and new) of the regular version at various retail locations.

I found a link to the promo card (#13) here:
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=swtcg/cardlist/promo

Has anyone else seen this cover art variation and/or have more info regarding its availability (ie. was it a LucasArtsStore.com exclusive)?[/quote]

Not an exclusive - it was the first release.

Two other items I wanted to mention, one's a cover variant, and the other is a packaging variant.

For a short time, Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance had an insert with a yellow circle on the front, advertising the "Exclusive "Immortal" CD by Adema Included".

This is not a sticket, but part of the insert itself.

Onto the packaging variation...

This was a late release Target exclusive, and was available for a VERY short time. Packaged in a 2-disc snap case with the preview disc that was originally released for pre-orders. Includes full version of the original Atari Star Wars Arcade game, Rebel Strike single player demo, and bonus content including: game trailers, concept art, and more. This version can be identified by an orange sticker on the top right corner. Sticker reads: "FREE Preview Disc Inside! Featuring Atari Star Wars Original Arcade Game Playable on the Nintendo Gamecube."

Again, no change to the insert itself, just the orange sticker and the 2 disc snap-case with the bonus disc included.

I think this was mentioned in another thread, wasn't there a Bestbuy exclusive gamecube bundle that had Metroid Prime/Zelda: Windwaker split artwork on one game case?

[quote name='anotherpoorgamer']I think this was mentioned in another thread, wasn't there a Bestbuy exclusive gamecube bundle that had Metroid Prime/Zelda: Windwaker split artwork on one game case?[/quote]

Hadn't heard of that one, but would LOVE to see a pic if it was the case... ;)

Does ANYONE have ANY of these for sale?

Metroid Prime / Windwaker pack-in (link is in page 5 of this thread)

Windwaker / Master Quest & Ocarina of Time pack-in (pic in on page 4 of this thread)

Wal-mart Stickered NASCAR 2005: Chase for the Cup (pic on page 4 of this thread)

Animal Crossing - K-mart exclusive with strategy guide offer

Legend of Zelda, The: The Wind Waker - K-mart exclusive with strategy guide offer

Starfox Adventures - K-mart exclusive with strategy guide offer

Super Mario Sunshine - K-mart exclusive with strategy guide offer

Wario World - K-mart exclusive with strategy guide offer

Metroid Prime - Target exclusive with coupon offer

Shrek Extra Large (Wal-Mart exclusive logo for "watch pack-in")

Spyro: A Hero's Tail (with EGM subscription promo offer)

PM me or email me ([email protected]) if you do!!

Thanks,
Orri-

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v180/TheUncleBob/mc.jpg

These two might be of interest - they're 1st run releases of Super Monkey Ball and Crazy Taxi. Both state that the memory card is required, but neither says how many blocks are needed... This leads me to believe that there are possibly later (non-pc) editions of these games that have the number of blocks printed on the package.

Sorry for the crappy pic, camera phone.

[quote name='Orrimarrko']Onto the packaging variation...

This was a late release Target exclusive, and was available for a VERY short time. Packaged in a 2-disc snap case with the preview disc that was originally released for pre-orders. Includes full version of the original Atari Star Wars Arcade game, Rebel Strike single player demo, and bonus content including: game trailers, concept art, and more. This version can be identified by an orange sticker on the top right corner. Sticker reads: "FREE Preview Disc Inside! Featuring Atari Star Wars Original Arcade Game Playable on the Nintendo Gamecube."

Again, no change to the insert itself, just the orange sticker and the 2 disc snap-case with the bonus disc included.[/QUOTE]

I've seen this variant at a Gamestop/EBGames B&M; the case was a regular dual-disc Gamecube case (like the one for Killer 7).

[quote name='Orrimarrko']Sorry, but this is inaccurate.

The original SSBM was released without a Player's Choice or Best Seller logo.
Then it was released with the Best Seller logo.
Finally, it was released with the Player's Choice logo.

Interesting note about the PC version - the title on the spine is in Black lettering, rather than the white lettering of the previous two releases.

I can confirm all of this, because I own all three. ;)[/QUOTE]
Check your facts again. There are actual Press Releases that describe the "Best Seller" status and when it was implemented.

[quote name='opportunity777']How about adding Limited Editions and box sets to this list???[/QUOTE]
I've been meaning to do an update. LEs should be included. Box sets however do not necessarily constitute a variant cover if it's just the original games inside of a box. An example I'd think of are the Super Monkey Balls or the Sonics that were 2-packs. Inside, they were just the Player's Choice versions of the game, most likely subsequent printings.

[quote name='JAMMR']
I've been meaning to do an update. LEs should be included. Box sets however do not necessarily constitute a variant cover if it's just the original games inside of a box. An example I'd think of are the Super Monkey Balls or the Sonics that were 2-packs. Inside, they were just the Player's Choice versions of the game, most likely subsequent printings.[/QUOTE]

First of all, your list is great, and I love that you are doing it.

Secondly, it would be really helpful if you did include the LE's. I have been meaning to get a lot of different LE's, but I can't even keep track of most of them these days.

Is anyone doing a PS2 or XBOX list on CAG?

bread's done
Back