Various Nintendo Inquiries (S-Video, 72-pin connectors, toploading NES)

dark_inchworm

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
1. S-Video

With the Xmas money I got piled onto me yesterday, I've pretty much decided that one of my many purchases is gonna be the component video cables for the Gamecube (and yes, I have one of the right models). I like to get as much goodness as I can out of my systems. :) One thing I've noticed, though, is that Nintendo also sells S-Video (S-VHS) cables as well, which can be seen here. My question is this: Do the S-Video cables really provide any visual improvements for Nintendo's older systems (SNES/N64), or would it be inferior to regular Audio/Video cables?

2. 72-Pin Connectors

I'm interested in buying a new 72-pin connector for my NES. Like plenty of people I have the blinking and rebooting problems of woe and despair, and I'd love to be able to rid myself of these problems for a while. My problem here is finding a new connector that is reliable and cheap. This connector seems to come from a reliable source (or people who know how to look professional, at least), but the shipping seems outrageous. On the other hand, this connector comes from a less flashy Yahoo-based store, but shipping is apparently free. Does anyone here have any suggestions for me, any better places to buy, etc.?

3. Top-Loading NES

Related to the above... well, if I get a new connector and it doesn't pan out in the long run, I'd like a nice, reliable top-loading NES to get me by for a while. Anyone got one for cheap? :D

Thanks in advance to anyone who reads and replies.

edit: While I'm at it, I'm too lazy to make other threads, so I'll ask if anyone has a cheap N64 expansion pack or Dreamcast AV cables. And yeah, sorry if this thread turned into something more appropriate for another forum... there are too many forums and so many things that could fit in more than one, IMO :)

[quote name='dark_inchworm']1. S-Video

With the Xmas money I got piled onto me yesterday, I've pretty much decided that one of my many purchases is gonna be the component video cables for the Gamecube (and yes, I have one of the right models). I like to get as much goodness as I can out of my systems. :) One thing I've noticed, though, is that Nintendo also sells S-Video (S-VHS) cables as well, which can be seen here. My question is this: Do the S-Video cables really provide any visual improvements for Nintendo's older systems (SNES/N64), or would it be inferior to regular Audio/Video cables?[/QUOTE]

Both SNES (as long as you have the original SNES and not the redesigned one) and N64 support S-video with the same cable as GameCube.

First of all, S-VHS is a misnomer for S-Video. S-VHS is a form of media, S-Video is a video type.

Second, You will see a marked improvement over composite by virtue of the fact that S-Video's compression is liable to have less crosstalk, compared to Composite, between the different components of the video stream, and thus, have a less corrupt and higher fidelity image. Composite video always manages to have weird artifacts, like data crawl and washed out colors.

As for DC A/V cables, check out lik-sang. They have DC S-Video cables for something, like, $10.

[quote name='elprincipe']Both SNES (as long as you have the original SNES and not the redesigned one) and N64 support S-video with the same cable as GameCube.[/QUOTE]

I was already aware of that, but I appreciate the notice regardless. :) My main concern is whether or not it actually put out a better picture than standard AVs, but judging from mao's reply I'll assume that's a yes.

[quote name='capitalist_mao']First of all, S-VHS is a misnomer for S-Video. S-VHS is a form of media, S-Video is a video type.

Second, You will see a marked improvement over composite by virtue of the fact that S-Video's compression is liable to have less crosstalk, compared to Composite, between the different components of the video stream, and thus, have a less corrupt and higher fidelity image. Composite video always manages to have weird artifacts, like data crawl and washed out colors.

As for DC A/V cables, check out lik-sang. They have DC S-Video cables for something, like, $10.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the small note on S-VHS. So anyway... you're saying composite video always has strange visual problems? I've never heard anything like that, but then again Nintendo claims that less than 1% of Gamecube owners use composite cables, so.. I haven't run across anyone who would know except you. I'm tempted to buy them anyway just for experimental (and hoarding) purposes, but I appreciate your evaluation.

[quote name='dark_inchworm']1. S-Video

2. 72-Pin Connectors

I'm interested in buying a new 72-pin connector for my NES. Like plenty of people I have the blinking and rebooting problems of woe and despair, and I'd love to be able to rid myself of these problems for a while. My problem here is finding a new connector that is reliable and cheap. This connector seems to come from a reliable source (or people who know how to look professional, at least), but the shipping seems outrageous. On the other hand, this connector comes from a less flashy Yahoo-based store, but shipping is apparently free. Does anyone here have any suggestions for me, any better places to buy, etc.?
[/QUOTE]

I ordered a new 72 pin connector a couple of years ago from MCM (first link). Worked great with no problems, shipping only took a few days. Order more than one, to reduce shipping and then offer to fix some friends NESes for a small fee!

Note to self: composite - yellow, component - red/green/blue (what I'm looking into purchasing)

They need to coin some terms that I don't get mixed up so much :p

i agree.. i always got them mixed up.. you know.. i think it also depends on the TV.. i mean N64 / SNES can only look so good.. they were designed (output levels anyways) to be played on the majority of tvs at the time (which in the times of SNES were pretty crappy) so i think anything about composite on those systems you're just wasting your time and overdoing it.. now with the gamecube and beyond.. you might see some difference.. but i wouldn't expect to see much difference between composite and component when talking SNES and N64

[quote name='dark_inchworm']Thanks for the small note on S-VHS. So anyway... you're saying composite video always has strange visual problems? I've never heard anything like that, but then again Nintendo claims that less than 1% of Gamecube owners use composite cables, so.. I haven't run across anyone who would know except you. I'm tempted to buy them anyway just for experimental (and hoarding) purposes, but I appreciate your evaluation.[/QUOTE]
I noticed you caught yourself down below when mistaking composite for component. Anyways Composite (yellow plug) will always have weird visual oddities. Even on the 27" CRT TV I've been using recently, I can spot the visual defects between S-Video and Composite (I can also spot the visual defects that are inherent in my crappy S-Video cables, but that's different). Composite pictures are always less fine and washed out.

I'll also point out that I Have no actual experience with component cables.

[quote name='urzishra14']i agree.. i always got them mixed up.. you know.. i think it also depends on the TV.. i mean N64 / SNES can only look so good.. they were designed (output levels anyways) to be played on the majority of tvs at the time (which in the times of SNES were pretty crappy) so i think anything about composite on those systems you're just wasting your time and overdoing it.. now with the gamecube and beyond.. you might see some difference.. but i wouldn't expect to see much difference between composite and component when talking SNES and N64[/QUOTE]
There is always room for higher fidelity and picture quality. Even if SNES and N64 graphics are dated, there's no reason to obscure them through cables that offer low fiedlity from their original picture. It's not even a point about how good the graphics are on the machine. Just because the Gamecube has high processing power than an SNES does not mean that somehow it NEEDS better cables. However, if you want truly clear picture for any system, you would be advised to use good cables. I can personally say that after having seen SNES graphics on a computer monitor, I'd never want to use Composite cables with any system again.

[quote name='dark_inchworm']
3. Top-Loading NES

Related to the above... well, if I get a new connector and it doesn't pan out in the long run, I'd like a nice, reliable top-loading NES to get me by for a while. Anyone got one for cheap? :D[/QUOTE]

You're not going to find one of those cheap. They also have their own problems. Nintendo removed the a/v outputs on the top loading NES. It only has RF. If you get one, here is a mod to add the a/v outputs. I'm not sure if I would want to do that though.

Regarding the S-vido connection - how good is your tv? if you have a 20 year old zenith, dont waste your time/money for the slight improvement.

Regarding the 72 pin - have you looked on ebay? a few years ago I scored one pretty cheap and also got a cool screwdriver bit set that had the 2 nintendo gamebits and like, 20 other uncommon bits. I recall the connector was $10 and that tookkit was no more than $15. My new connector has "silver" connections and isn't as nice as the original, but it works fine. Only complaint is that it's very tight and you have to almost force the games in place.

[quote name='erehwon']You're not going to find one of those cheap. They also have their own problems. Nintendo removed the a/v outputs on the top loading NES. It only has RF. If you get one, here is a mod to add the a/v outputs. I'm not sure if I would want to do that though.[/QUOTE]

Damn, RF only? I never realized that.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Damn, RF only? I never realized that.[/QUOTE]

Nintendo giveth, and Nintendo taketh away... =(

I have a toploader nes, but i use my toploading famiclone instead just cos the picture is soo much better than rf. I do use the dogbone controller tho, that thing rocks!

bread's done
Back