Various PC games on sale in Amazon

I highly recommend the Baldur's Gate 2 collection if you haven't played it. It's on my short list for greatest RPG of all time (incidentally the first BG is up there too).

[quote name='dopa345']I highly recommend the Baldur's Gate 2 collection if you haven't played it. It's on my short list for greatest RPG of all time (incidentally the first BG is up there too).[/quote]

Do you have a list somewhere of greatest RPG of all time?

Mine's really short:
Chrono Trigger
FF7
FF8
FF10
Dragon Quest series
Chrono Cross
Fire Emblem series

[quote name='dbz4ever']Do you have a list somewhere of greatest RPG of all time?

Mine's really short:
Chrono Trigger
FF7
FF8
FF10
Dragon Quest series
Chrono Cross
Fire Emblem series[/QUOTE]

Personally, I'd add Planescape: Torment to that list, but I'm a fan...

Top 10 on gamerankings:

KOTOR
Baldur's Gate II: Shadow of Amn
Oblivion IV
FFIX
Chrono Cross
Vagrant Story
FFVII
Baldur's Gate
WoW
FFX

in that order, without duplicates.

I was hoping Titan Quest was gonna be on sale. That looks like a really good Diablo clone, and Im just waiting for a price drop on it.

[quote name='Puffa469']I was hoping Titan Quest was gonna be on sale. That looks like a really good Diablo clone, and Im just waiting for a price drop on it.[/quote]

It is on sale for few bucks off, probably be on better sale in Thanksgiving, I hope.

Never played the PC verison of BG, but how similar is it to the console versions? The only real reference I have for PC RPGs are Diablo and console games ported over (like KOTOR).

[quote name='KABUKISTAR']I find any "Best RPG" list funamentally flawed, if Fallout or Fallout 2 don't show up anywhere on it.[/quote]

Dang...that's some old G stuff, brings back good memories.

[quote name='dbz4ever']Dang...that's some old G stuff, brings back good memories.[/quote]

Yeah, even though I've beaten it a hundred times, I was thinking of going back and installing Fallout 2 to play again, today.

I just wish Bethesda would hurry up and make something of Fallout 3 :bomb:

[quote name='jalu6']Never played the PC verison of BG, but how similar is it to the console versions? The only real reference I have for PC RPGs are Diablo and console games ported over (like KOTOR).[/QUOTE]

it is more like kotor than dark alliance or dark alliance 2.

[quote name='jalu6']Never played the PC verison of BG, but how similar is it to the console versions? The only real reference I have for PC RPGs are Diablo and console games ported over (like KOTOR).[/quote]

The graphics are generally better in PC than in console, because in console version, the graphics are compressed before transferring to console. Other than that, it's pretty similar, except some differences in controls where you use direction pad on the left in console and maybe mouse on the right in PC.

[quote name='KABUKISTAR']Yeah, even though I've beaten it a hundred times, I was thinking of going back and installing Fallout 2 to play again, today.

I just wish Bethesda would hurry up and make something of Fallout 3 :bomb:[/quote]

We might need a petition for this. If they see millions of customers, they'll have more incentive to make the game =P

[quote name='dbz4ever']The graphics are generally better in PC than in console, because in console version, the graphics are compressed before transferring to console. Other than that, it's pretty similar, except some differences in controls where you use direction pad on the left in console and maybe mouse on the right in PC.[/QUOTE]
What are you talking about? The console versions of Baulder's Gate are nothing like the pc games.

[quote name='xspeedracerx']What are you talking about? The console versions of Baulder's Gate are nothing like the pc games.[/quote]

I don't know about Baulder's Gate, I just bought the PC game today in Amazon. I am referring to other games, like Diablo.

if your gonna make a 'best rpg's' list. There really should be 2 seperate lists. One for Japanese RPGs and one for American/European style rpgs.

There are enough fundamental differences in the design style of jap vs. us/eu games to really make them seperate genres.

[quote name='dbz4ever']I don't know about Baulder's Gate, I just bought the PC game today in Amazon. I am referring to other games, like Diablo.[/QUOTE]
I see :D

[quote name='Puffa469']if your gonna make a 'best rpg's' list. There really should be 2 seperate lists. One for Japanese RPGs and one for American/European style rpgs.

There are enough fundamental differences in the design style of jap vs. us/eu games to really make them seperate genres.[/quote]

Do you mean Strategy RPG vs Adventure/action RPG? OR Turn-based RPG vs real time RPG?

[quote name='KABUKISTAR']
I just wish Bethesda would hurry up and make something of Fallout 3 :bomb:[/QUOTE]

We're going as fast as we can! :)

Baldurs Gate Collection is nothing at all like Dark Alliance. It is more or less turned based with parties. It is not a click and kill game. It has a far superior story. It does look a lot the same minus the 6 man party vs the one man thing in Dark Alliance so the graphics are comparable but I'd say graphics are slightly better in dark alliance. In SOA you get 6 ppl in your party and can pretty much choose which 6 and alter there classes and what not however you wish. It is based off ?AD&D 2 not 3.0 rules?. It has one of the better storylines and is one of the more open ended games youll play. For someone who hasn't played it I would say its more of a 2D partied style of morrowind with a lot smaller world. I think thats a better comparison then to compare it to Dark Alliance. In all reality its somewhere between a partied morrowind and dark alliance thou. It is the high on my list of best RPG ever and yes I own 3 copies of the game. Stupid multidisk games have some kind of spell on them that makes one disk turn invisible. I recommend installing shadows of amn without throne of bhaal as it makes you wait thru an extra screen to start up. You can add the expansion once you finish shadows of amn.

[quote name='Gigamaster89']Top 10 on gamerankings:

KOTOR
Baldur's Gate II: Shadow of Amn
Oblivion IV
FFIX
Chrono Cross
Vagrant Story
FFVII
Baldur's Gate
WoW
FFX

in that order, without duplicates.[/QUOTE]

Well, gamerankings is full of shit if Torment isn't on there. Or Fallout. Those two right there are better than KOTOR.

BG2 collection is a STEAL at that price.

It's on my top ten, for sure. Along with the Fallouts, and Planescape: Torment!

In fact, I broke it out a few weeks ago and am playing it again right now.

I urge anyone who likes CRPGs and hasn't played it to pick it up.

[quote name='Puffa469']I was hoping Titan Quest was gonna be on sale. That looks like a really good Diablo clone, and Im just waiting for a price drop on it.[/quote]

I'm about 8 hours into it...It's great! I recommend it NOW!!!

A couple quick questions about Baldur's Gate-

Would I be lost playing it if I'm a complete RPG newb? I've never played any PC RPGs, in fact my RPGing experience is limited to the Zelda games and....ummm....Bard's Tale. Yeah, not much. I'm always interested in any game that seems to draw universal praise (and a nice low price to boot) but how newbie-friendly is the learning curve?

Also, is it a game I should let my 9 year old play? How violent/scary/adult-oriented is it?

[quote name='jalu6']Never played the PC verison of BG, but how similar is it to the console versions? The only real reference I have for PC RPGs are Diablo and console games ported over (like KOTOR).[/QUOTE]

They're completely different games in almost every way, except for the fact they take place in the d&d world, and feature some of the same enemies and character classes. The PC games are more traditional RPGs, with emphasis on story, exploration, and character development. They are made by the same team as the first KOTOR, and many of that games key features, such as the battle system and detailed conversation options, were borrowed from BG. The console versions are hack and slash dungeon crawlers, with emphasis on action and virtually no storyline to speak of, much like Diablo or Gauntlet.

[quote name='Danimal']A couple quick questions about Baldur's Gate-

Would I be lost playing it if I'm a complete RPG newb? I've never played any PC RPGs, in fact my RPGing experience is limited to the Zelda games and....ummm....Bard's Tale. Yeah, not much. I'm always interested in any game that seems to draw universal praise (and a nice low price to boot) but how newbie-friendly is the learning curve?

Also, is it a game I should let my 9 year old play? How violent/scary/adult-oriented is it?[/quote]

Baldur's Gate is all story and a ton of reading...Like most Bioware/Black Isle Studio Games. That being said, it is the BEST story and dialogue you will ever encounter in a RPG. Lots of cool items to collect and magic. It is definately one of my top 5.

As for your 9 year old, I don't think it will be a problem. He/she might be bored actually if they like graphics best, as it is a little dated at this point.

It's very newby friendly and you really don't need to understand the intracacies of the hit point system or d20 rolls.

Which is best: Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, or Neverwinter Nights?

I'd almost rather pay 10 more dollars and get THIS.

Also, be sure to check out a larger version of that picture...Amazon ripped it off of Newegg :lol:

[quote name='Lou-Dawg']Which is best: Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, or Neverwinter Nights?

Also, be sure to check out a larger version of that picture...Amazon ripped it off of Newegg :lol:[/quote]

I'd rank it as BG, ID and then NW. I'm a big fan of Icewind Dale too!

P.S. Awesome Sig!!!

I agree with Number83. However, there are a lot of mods for NeverWinter Nights so it has a ton of replay value.
Why not just get both? $30 isn't bad for 2 games that have well over 100 hours of gameplay.

Baldur's Gate 2, NeverWinter Nights, IceWind Dale, then the original Baldur's Gate in that order. Some may switch it around but I thought the original Baldur's Gate was a little too slow and grueling. NeverWinter Nights was kind of a bit hack and slash for my liking and Icewind Dale although great just doesn't compare storywise with Baldur's Gate2.

I love Neverwinter Nights, but Baldur's Gate 2 is looking like a good deal, just too bad I'd never get a chance to play it. >_< I'm thinking about buying it anyway though...

[quote name='scion of ys']how much is shipping for bg2?[/quote]

I believe it's about $5 if you buy less than $25 total, otherwise, it's free shipping.

[quote name='Alien Spider']I love Neverwinter Nights, but Baldur's Gate 2 is looking like a good deal, just too bad I'd never get a chance to play it. >_< I'm thinking about buying it anyway though...[/quote]

Can't wait til Oct for sequel......

[quote name='Lou-Dawg']

Also, be sure to check out a larger version of that picture...Amazon ripped it off of Newegg :lol:[/quote]

DVD version is always better, faster load time, I believe.

Now I really feel like reinstalling both BG 1 and BG 2 and just playing them straight through... too bad I left them behind in Boston when I moved.

I love FFVIII, FFVII, Earthbound and Chrono Trigger...
So many people get tired of the FF series because it's too "popular" but I have loved the FF series since the first one game out on the NES. I didn't even know it was a popular series until FFVIII came out, but they truly are great games.

I have planescape, and I just wasn't as impressed with it as I was wiht the Fallout series. I guess it's just because I'm not a huge fan of fantasy.

[quote name='dopa345']Now I really feel like reinstalling both BG 1 and BG 2 and just playing them straight through... too bad I left them behind in Boston when I moved.[/quote]

Haha, buy another copy now then with collector edition =P

Quake 4 was a blast, bought that shit for $60 on the release date. Highly recommended, especially since it comes with Quake II and both expansions.

Far Cry is also at $9.98. Pretty good deal, unfortunately I just paid $11 for it off ebay a week ago... Hopefully BG2's price will hold for another week or two. Been on my want list but short on cash right now.

[quote name='redgopher']Quake 4 was a blast, bought that shit for $60 on the release date. Highly recommended, especially since it comes with Quake II and both expansions.[/QUOTE]

I second that. Enjoyed it much more than Doom 3.

[quote name='KABUKISTAR']I have planescape, and I just wasn't as impressed with it as I was wiht the Fallout series. I guess it's just because I'm not a huge fan of fantasy.[/QUOTE]

Planescape is great, but there's ALOT more reading than any of the other RPGs mentioned here, so you have to be prepared for it. But the story is great, and the characters are really well done, plus I liked the fact that it's a whole different universe than the typical fantasy setting in DnD. Well, *several* universes, since it takes place on the Planes, haha...

Fallout is probably my all-time favorite, though. I just like the sci-fi setting with tech and all that.

That said, BG2 is a very close 2nd for me.

If you like computer RPGs, you really need to play all of them! They're ALL fantastic games.

[quote name='dbz4ever']Do you mean Strategy RPG vs Adventure/action RPG? OR Turn-based RPG vs real time RPG?[/quote]

More like Japanese RPGs are usually very linear, storyline driven games, with limited replay value. But you trade that for the strong narrative.

US/EU RPGs are usually very open ended, with a major storyline arc, but usually with alot of freedom to 'go your own way'.

Also the art styles of the two games are very different, and US/EU games tend be more or less based on medieval technology/weapons/architecture, etc. While Japanese RPGs tend be much more fanciful, flying ships, swords mixed with laserguns and robots, etc.

I feel that these and other differenced are major enough, and common enough that you can place the games into two different catagories.

[quote name='Puffa469']More like Japanese RPGs are usually very linear, storyline driven games, with limited replay value. But you trade that for the strong narrative.

US/EU RPGs are usually very open ended, with a major storyline arc, but usually with alot of freedom to 'go your own way'.

Also the art styles of the two games are very different, and US/EU games tend be more or less based on medieval technology/weapons/architecture, etc. While Japanese RPGs tend be much more fanciful, flying ships, swords mixed with laserguns and robots, etc.

I feel that these and other differenced are major enough, and common enough that you can place the games into two different catagories.[/quote]

Ya I agree, but I grew up playing JP RPGs, mostly for their stories and graphics. I haven't played much US/EU RPGs, maybe I'll start with BG2 when I get it. Thanks for your input.

bread's done
Back