Vdigi VDW2 VGA Cable for Wii Review

Pretty good review with 2 problems. I'd like to know what component>VGA box you are currently using so I know what you're comparing it to. Secondly the official Nintendo Wii Component Cable does not cost $50.

Also since you seem to consider Dreamcast as the definitive VGA console, I'm curious to know whether you've played Xbox 360 using VGA.

[quote name='PenguinMaster']Pretty good review with 2 problems. I'd like to know what component>VGA box you are currently using so I know what you're comparing it to.[/quote]

Fair enough. You're right, I should have mentioned / linked to:

http://www.npoly.com/pivot/entry.php?id=6

It's the XCM VGA box.

[quote name='PenguinMaster'] Secondly the official Nintendo Wii Component Cable does not cost $50.[/quote]

Ah, my mistake! I'll correct that later, thanks!

[quote name='PenguinMaster']
Also since you seem to consider Dreamcast as the definitive VGA console, I'm curious to know whether you've played Xbox 360 using VGA.[/quote]

It's actually the only way I've played my 360 is via VGA. I play games on a CRT monitor whenever possible. I just feel it gives the best picture compared to an LCD. Merely a preference.

My thoughts on the 360 VGA is, it's basically perfect. In fairness to the 360, I have no games which I would consider '2D arcade' games to be enamored with. Pretty much all of my games are 3D (maybe all of them) and while you have varying degrees of quality of 3D - they all look very nice.

And I'm sure I'll cause all kinds of trouble when I say my 360 feels more like a PC than a game console, so it's hard for me to enter it into the equation.

Amongst all the talk of hardcore/midcore/casual gamers I think there's room for a lot more distinction. I'm sorta a Game Snob, closer to a connoisseur than anything. It's that snobbery that makes me think that Twinkle Star Sprites looks better than Puzzle Fighter HD. PFHD tries to hide 'jaggies' by blurring and softening the edges. That makes it look like, to me, garbage. For me, 2D games don't have jaggies to be obscured and softened. They have edges that should be well defined and clear.

So, while I like my 360 just fine, play it as much if not more than my Wii and DS, and enjoy the high res feed that VGA offers... it's just not the same, for me.

If and when Blaz Blue comes out for the 360, maybe it'll change. But for now, my 360 is kinda a PC and I rarely develop a ravenous attachment to PC games (Fallout, Uplink, Orange Box, Grim Fandango, etc.)

I'm not knocking it, I acknowledge the problem lies with me. We'll see what the future brings.

[quote name='Chacrana']Blaz Blue is PS3 only at this point, as is every other 2D fighter slated to come out, barring SFIIHD[/quote]

I'm remaining optimistic that anything on the Taito X2+ is an easy port to the 360 and they'll figure 'what the hell'.

Probably not, but a man can hope.

Famitsu claims that Arc System Works is porting Battle Fantasia for both the PS3 and 360. So hope remains eternal for a 360 port of Blaz Blue.

bread's done
Back