Vent: Be Careful of Wal Mart's Return Policy

ferant316

CAGiversary!
Feedback
9 (100%)
Ok so I will try to keep this as short as possible. I had my father order a copy of Dishonored from Wal Mart for me to give to one of my cousins for a gift as he was already ordering a bunch of stuff from there so it cut down on shipping grouping it all together. Unfortunately, he ordered it for the 360 when was cousin only has a PS3. Based on how Wal Mart's return policy is worded ("You always have the right to an even exchange") I assumed it would be no problem exchanging it for the proper system.

So I bring it in to Wal Mart, have the associate grab the PS3 version and walk me up to Customer Service where I wait for ~30 minutes in line. Once I get up to the register I explain what happened and what I want to do, they tell me it would be no problem so I hand over the receipt and the 360 version of the game they process it through the system and then tell me I owe $34.96. I then told them I had just said I wanted to do an even exchange because it was purchased for the wrong system, they had agreed that they could do it, and they could based on their own return policy. Then they told me there was no way they could because they don't match their Walmart.com prices, so I told them it was the same price in store and they told me they had no way of knowing that.

So luckily I had the Black Friday ads still in my car so I left everything there with them and walked out to my car to grab it and go back in to show them. Again I had to wait in line because they started to help other people (I understand taking other people while I was gone but they should have let me come back once I got back but anyways.) So I get back up there and show them the the flier that it was $25 in store so they told me that they finalized the return while I was walking out so they had put the money back on the debit card used.

At that point I asked for a manager, who came over and told me that there was no way they could take a hit like that because $25 was under cost for them and the only way I could do an even exchange is if I didn't have a receipt. So then I told them to take away the receipt and do the exchange at which point they said they couldn't do that because the receipt was already presented and the return processed (without my authorization or signature.) At that point I asked for them to void the return and give me my game and receipt back along with the number for the District Manager and they even put up a fight about that saying it was too long after the transaction to void it because the money was already on its way back and that their district manager does not want their number given out and the only way to get in touch with them is to file a complaint on their website. Then they tried to get me to pay $59.96 to get the Xbox 360 copy I brought in back. It took much arguing just to leave with the receipt and the game I walked in with.

I'm sorry for the rant, I'm just venting I just got back and am pretty heated they made me wait for 30 minutes twice just to argue with me over every single point.

[quote name='slidecage']walmart does not price match black friday prices[/QUOTE]

Not trying to Price Match, just do an Even Exchange as per their return policy for No Receipt Returns. And its more how they treated me that has me upset than the denial of the exchange. Basically treated me like a combination of dumb and a criminal for trying to exchange a Christmas Gift that was purchased by mistake. When they tell you "Yes if you came in without a receipt we could have done this no problem, but you gave us a receipt so we can't" something is wrong.

While I agree that they should have done more to help you, they did follow their policy as stated. What you're asking for is not an even exchange. An even exchange is when you exchange a defective or wrong sized product if the same SKU/UPC for another. The PS3 and Xbox versions of the same game are not the same item. They have different UPCs, consequently making them different inventory units in their systems.

While I've never worked at Walmart, I have worked in retail inventory. There is virtually no way to do this type of return without them getting dinged on inventory adjustments or price adjustments. Considering many retailers keep track of these numbers and use them in assessing management performance, I don't blame them for not returning it. They may not have gone above and beyond, but they were willing to give you your money back, which is what their policy promised.

[quote name='czissis']While I agree that they should have done more to help you, they did follow their policy as stated. What you're asking for is not an even exchange. An even exchange is when you exchange a defective or wrong sized product if the same SKU/UPC for another. The PS3 and Xbox versions of the same game are not the same item. They have different UPCs, consequently making them different inventory units in their systems.

While I've never worked at Walmart, I have worked in retail inventory. There is virtually no way to do this type of return without them getting dinged on inventory adjustments or price adjustments. Considering many retailers keep track of these numbers and use them in assessing management performance, I don't blame them for not returning it. They may not have gone above and beyond, but they were willing to give you your money back, which is what their policy promised.[/QUOTE]

See if they had explained their point of view nicely like that and not treated me like some scammer and backpeddling/changing what they were saying every sentence I would have been okay with it.

Maybe I'm spoiled from other stores doing the same thing for me no problem (including Gamestop surprisingly), and doing the same thing for people while working at stores.

I filed one of the Report In Store Experience things that is supposed to get the DM to get in touch with me so we'll see what they have to say.

[quote name='ferant316']Maybe I'm spoiled from other stores doing the same thing for me no problem (including Gamestop surprisingly), and doing the same thing for people while working at stores.[/QUOTE]

Do you always have your father order the wrong versions of games for you, or is that more of a personal problem? \\:D/

[quote name='Squarehard']Do you always have your father order the wrong versions of games for you, or is that more of a personal problem? \\:D/[/QUOTE]

Let's just say I am familiar with other store's being willing to do this as it has a long history of happening. Even when I was 6 I remember getting a Genesis game for Christmas when I had an SNES and Game Gear.

I should have seen this happening but I am far too much of a Cheapass to pay $1.99 shipping when I knew he was already having stuff shipped. And they cancelled the Site to Store order I tried placing 4 times. In retrospect I'd pay the $1.99 shipping to avoid this headache.

[quote name='ferant316']Ok so I will try to keep this as short as possible. I had my father order a copy of Dishonored from Wal Mart for me to give to one of my cousins for a gift as he was already ordering a bunch of stuff from there so it cut down on shipping grouping it all together. Unfortunately, he ordered it for the 360 when was cousin only has a PS3. Based on how Wal Mart's return policy is worded ("You always have the right to an even exchange") I assumed it would be no problem exchanging it for the proper system.

So I bring it in to Wal Mart, have the associate grab the PS3 version and walk me up to Customer Service where I wait for ~30 minutes in line. Once I get up to the register I explain what happened and what I want to do, they tell me it would be no problem so I hand over the receipt and the 360 version of the game they process it through the system and then tell me I owe $34.96. I then told them I had just said I wanted to do an even exchange because it was purchased for the wrong system, they had agreed that they could do it, and they could based on their own return policy. Then they told me there was no way they could because they don't match their Walmart.com prices, so I told them it was the same price in store and they told me they had no way of knowing that.

So luckily I had the Black Friday ads still in my car so I left everything there with them and walked out to my car to grab it and go back in to show them. Again I had to wait in line because they started to help other people (I understand taking other people while I was gone but they should have let me come back once I got back but anyways.) So I get back up there and show them the the flier that it was $25 in store so they told me that they finalized the return while I was walking out so they had put the money back on the debit card used.

At that point I asked for a manager, who came over and told me that there was no way they could take a hit like that because $25 was under cost for them and the only way I could do an even exchange is if I didn't have a receipt. So then I told them to take away the receipt and do the exchange at which point they said they couldn't do that because the receipt was already presented and the return processed (without my authorization or signature.) At that point I asked for them to void the return and give me my game and receipt back along with the number for the District Manager and they even put up a fight about that saying it was too long after the transaction to void it because the money was already on its way back and that their district manager does not want their number given out and the only way to get in touch with them is to file a complaint on their website. Then they tried to get me to pay $59.96 to get the Xbox 360 copy I brought in back. It took much arguing just to leave with the receipt and the game I walked in with.

I'm sorry for the rant, I'm just venting I just got back and am pretty heated they made me wait for 30 minutes twice just to argue with me over every single point.[/QUOTE]

You were right and that was ridiculous to say the least.
I grew up in retail and some of your story brings back bad memories and makes me cringe at what the staff said to you.
But now that your have the original situation back to deal with....
I would either do a return/exchange WITH NO RECEIPT at either Walmart or Target. That's just my opinion for where you are at now.
Hang in there, retail staff, especially first tier of supervisors make up reasons and policies sometimes... but thankfully it's the exception, not the rule...
GL

I work in retail and as another poster said, what you want isn't an even exchange. It is technically a refund/rering and marking things down that much (unsure about Walmart's limits and if it needs manager approval) doesn't happen often.

What you should have done was call Walmart.com and see if they can do the refund/rering. They usually send you a prepaid postage slip too.

Take it to a store that accepts returns without a receipt--like Fred Meyers or Sears--then grab the PS3 copy with the gift card they will give you.

(It's completely equivalent, so I don't want to hear any BS whining about return fraud or it being 'illegal'. The people that think walking your dog down the wrong side of the road or giving somebody a dirty look is somehow illegal can just kindly not respond to this. ;] )

It's not really an issue, as they have never adhered to their online prices. Policies are policies, be lucky they even gave you the time of day if you had no receipt as you're supposed to have one but given how many people are idiots about losing their receipt or cons that lie to profit (but feign innocence or throw the typical hissy fit that allots them the return) they do it most of the time anyway.

Just go back without the receipt and say you want to return the game. They will give you a Walmart gift card for the current value of the game then take that and buy the PS3 version of it.

EDIT:

And while I kind of agree with their view on the policies, what they say makes no sense. I get you can't price match a Black Friday price after Black Friday, but their explanations for why are just illogical and mathematically not sound.

This is why I don't really like buying at Wal-Mart, as a majority of their staff are procedurally trained and not customer service trained. The staff did the 'right' thing by following their policy and striving to reduce shrinkage to the letter, though they could of easily introduced a system price reduction that would still keep their inventory counts sound and the customer happy. The fact that things just go smoother for this kind of return without a receipt is certainly signs of a faulty system.

I would agree that a Target gift card credit without a receipt is the best way to go. Keep in mind you will need to show your driver's license to the clerk, to keep track of your return record without a receipt. I forget the exact amount, but I think its around $50-100 per calendar year they will allow these kinds of returns per individual ID.

At least this is how it works out for my Targets, though I'm pretty sure this is universal.

This site hazes on SD for shady practices and in this thread there are two return fraud posts. The irony...

To the OP... So you never looked at the receipt until the game showed up?

[quote name='Billytwoshoes']This is why I don't really like buying at Wal-Mart, as a majority of their staff are procedurally trained and not customer service trained. The staff did the 'right' thing by following their policy and striving to reduce shrinkage to the letter, though they could of easily introduced a system price reduction that would still keep their inventory counts sound and the customer happy. The fact that things just go smoother for this kind of return without a receipt is certainly signs of a faulty system.

I would agree that a Target gift card credit without a receipt is the best way to go. Keep in mind you will need to show your driver's license to the clerk, to keep track of your return record without a receipt. I forget the exact amount, but I think its around $50-100 per calendar year they will allow these kinds of returns per individual ID.

At least this is how it works out for my Targets, though I'm pretty sure this is universal.[/QUOTE]

Yea I generally don't buy at Wal Mart either. I actually had a $40 egift card from Final Fantasy XIII and God of War III purchases up until September of this year because I had 13 orders I used the egift card with cancelled.

The fact that this would have been no problem if I DIDN'T have a receipt is ridiculous. They should prioritize receipt returns to make more people hang on to receipts and do returns properly.

They also lost a sale on additional items I was buying because of the poor customer service as well.

[quote name='lordopus99']This site hazes on SD for shady practices and in this thread there are two return fraud posts. The irony...

To the OP... So you never looked at the receipt until the game showed up?[/QUOTE]

I was trying to avoid doing anything sketchy/returning it to a store it didn't come from but Wal Mart

[quote name='RedFoxCommando']Wal-Mart got strict. I remember when you could return a boxed turd and say you got it there and they'd refund it no problem.[/QUOTE]

See around me they have always been strict. I once had a Christmas present that the person gave the same movie to a bunch of us and must have purchased it at different places as I had a Wal Mart gift receipt but half of a Circuit City price tag (those were the hardest stickers to get off I've ever seen.) Wal Mart denied the return because the price sticker showed it came from a different store.

[quote name='Gamer SDP']I'm dreading when I have to return 4 games (bought at Walmart in October) the weekend after Christmas...[/QUOTE]

And that's part of why I made this post. 50% to vent and 50% to warn people they seem to be cracking down.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well when you're the largest retailer in the country, you can tell people to fuck off and it doesn't really matter. It's nearly impossible to avoid them in many situations, so what are you going to do? You don't really have to worry about pissing off a few customers when you've got millions.

[quote name='lordopus99']This site hazes on SD for shady practices and in this thread there are two return fraud posts. The irony...

To the OP... So you never looked at the receipt until the game showed up?[/QUOTE]

he just wants to exchange a sealed platform for another platform...
not receive $ above the value of the title...

[quote name='Clak']Well when you're the largest retailer in the country, you can tell people to fuck off and it doesn't really matter. It's nearly impossible to avoid them in many situations, so what are you going to do? You don't really have to worry about pissing off a few customers when you've got millions.[/QUOTE]

lol while I basically agree with you, what happened to the op was somewhat isolated... I've never had an issue with a return at wally's
Recently, I bought a wally's online special/with instore pick-up for a wiimote bundle ($15).
I bought two but said store only pulled one (damaged packaging) and were out by the time of my pick-up.
They searched and found a nearby store with at least two.
I called the sister location to confirm and they held the "two" I needed (one to exchange for packaging and one more to buy)
The exchange went through no problem, but the second unit rang up to substantially more. I explained the mistakes made at the first store. Customer service supervisor lowered the price to match the first one...
Yeah for me? no, just an example from recently where I was treated differently than the op with a different staff member at the same company...

and I still blown away how long the op was at that store (over an hour!) lol much more patient than I....

Unless there is some inherent difference in the value of one version over the other, I don't see who's being harmed... at all.

[quote name='Zaku77']Unless there is some inherent difference in the value of one version over the other, I don't see who's being harmed... at all.[/QUOTE]

His dad ordered it. He probably just clicked the first link without lookig at the system. I had a family member get me LEGO Star Wars 3 last year and they accidentally got me Complete Saga instead.

[quote name='donut']he just wants to exchange a sealed platform for another platform...
not receive $ above the value of the title...[/QUOTE]
It is all the same. Walmart denied the exchange. The practices the two post referred to was committing return fraud to get around that decision, whether the suggestion of a no-receipt exchange or taking to another business (like the two posts referenced).

The best legit option at this point is trying a different Walmart with the receipt. Their store might work more with a customer.

I got screwed over 3200 MP that didn't work (already redeemed somehow) that I bought for $20 on BF. So done, hope they go out of business.

[quote name='forthenguyen']I got screwed over 3200 MP that didn't work (already redeemed somehow) that I bought for $20 on BF. So done, hope they go out of business.[/QUOTE]

ROFL, after reading your thread about this, you got hosed by the trader man, not walmart. No reason to rage at walmart's way.

[quote name='forthenguyen']I got screwed over 3200 MP that didn't work (already redeemed somehow) that I bought for $20 on BF. So done, hope they go out of business.[/QUOTE]

I can't believe that they processed a return without your consent, and then fought you on getting your items back. Ridiculous.

As for your MS points though, I read that thread and I'm with the others in saying that the trader lied to you. You redeemed a code and he did. An easy solution would be to call MS, give them the codes, and ask for the specific time they were redeemed. They will sometimes even give you the location such as state, etc.

If you find out the trader did scam you, make sure you report him to a moderator here and leave him a negative feedback.

I had something similar happen to me. Pro-tip- forget your receipt. I went to another wal-mart and they exchanged with no questions without the receipt.

Funny thing is, if you just told them you got it as a gift and wanted to return it without a receipt they would have given you $60 for it even if it was sold cheaper on BF. You could have then bough the PS3 version with the giftcard they gave you.

bread's done
Back