Verizon dsl for online gaming?

shadylane

CAGiversary!
Feedback
40 (100%)
Hey guys!

I'm thinking of switching my Internet connection to a 7mps plan for online gaming and netflix streaming via 360. Will that be enough? Will I get HD quality through the 360 streaming?

Thanks

Why are you asking about 360 stuff on the PS3 board? Moreover, I have the 768kbps DSL from Verizon and while my connection seems laggy at times it serves it's purpose good enough for me.

Some games(Red Faction: Guerrilla) don't seem to like those of us on a much lower speed though, as I was getting kicked from games very frequently and I just gave up trying to get into the RF: G online games after awhile.

Fios? Isn't that like $40-50 a month? I'm content with my $19.99 a month plan. For what I use it for, it works well enough for me. I don't download massive files from the net or stream shit from my PC to my PS3 or whatever else others are doing, plus the price for the higher 'high speed' is fuckin' ridiculous.

What is it REALLY costing these companies(Comcast, Verizon, etc) to run their internet anyway? Shit should be MUCH cheaper by now.

Well I'm asking more for ps3 online gaming and I figure I ask about the 360 on this topic to save myself from creating two forum post. But I think 5mbps should be able to be enough compared to those with 700+ Kbps speed

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Fios? Isn't that like $40-50 a month? I'm content with my $19.99 a month plan. For what I use it for, it works well enough for me. I don't download massive files from the net or stream shit from my PC to my PS3 or whatever else others are doing, plus the price for the higher 'high speed' is fuckin' ridiculous.

What is it REALLY costing these companies(Comcast, Verizon, etc) to run their internet anyway? Shit should be MUCH cheaper by now.[/QUOTE]

Dude, take a chill pill! ;)

You are right though. These companies are pretty close to monopolies in their given areas, so of course prices remain high. I myself have ATT Uverse and I'm getting the 6 meg service for $35 a month. But I do stream videos, movies and tv shows from Netflix, Hulu, Youtube, etc to a HTPC set-up. The extra speed does make a difference.

I had verizon dsl and used it for Resistance 2 and GTA 4 mainly. I never had problems as long as no one was using the internet on my computer and I had a wired connection. However the PAIN game would not let me go online and it said i had too slow of an internet connection. If you reset your modem and noone else is online you should be fine. I did get comcast and now things download about 50-150 times faster.

[quote name='mogamer']Dude, take a chill pill! ;)

You are right though. These companies are pretty close to monopolies in their given areas, so of course prices remain high. I myself have ATT Uverse and I'm getting the 6 meg service for $35 a month. But I do stream videos, movies and tv shows from Netflix, Hulu, Youtube, etc to a HTPC set-up. The extra speed does make a difference.[/QUOTE]

I am relaxed. :razz: What gets me though, is we have both Verizon and Comcast around here, among others(but those are the two big companies), yet their prices for their internet are still relatively high. I wish they would actually try and compete with each other and offer some insane deals for those who are looking for internet.

Comcast offers you their high speed for $19.99 a month....for six months ONLY, then it jumps to $40 a month. I'd gladly switch to them, if they would allow me to do like Verizon has for 2-3 years now and lock in the early promo rate for the entire contract.

If I were running like 3-4 computers and a couple game consoles online, $40-50 a month would probably be a steal for me, but I'm running one computer and my PS3.

I don't really stream anything from anywhere. The most I use the connection for is watching YouTube videos on occasion.

Yeah I run Alltel Cell phone USB internet and regularly get download in the 1-2mbs rate. Ping is anywhere from 60-150 ms for me.

I use it fine on Socom, and Killzone 2, I dont stream much on the PS3, but we watch a fair amount of stuff on youtube, etc. Download music etc.

We have no cable available where we live so I drop about $55 a month on our service. We are out of contract this month however... probably keep it that way and keep this going for now.

bread's done
Back