Very shady Gamestop or just honest mistake?

Xellos2099

CAGiversary!
Feedback
63 (100%)
A few month a friend of mine preordered and fully paid for MW3 from gamestop but never remember to pick it up since he find a cheaper copy after release. He finally go to the gamestop to pick up his copy last week, they claim it has been pick up already and claim they have it on tape.

Since my friend never pick it up he demand to see the video; then the a few employee talk for like 30 minute and at the end one of them just grab a copy from the shelf and give it to my friend without receipt. Think an employee stole the copy and pretend my friend pick it up it is it an honest mistake?

Don't they normally only give you a certain amount of time before you pick up a game? I'd say they probably saw your friend as the last and only person who never picked it up. Someone took it, they figured they were in the clear. When he came in, they gave in that story about the tape figuring he'd just leave. When he didn't they talked about options then finally just gave him the game.

That's one option though.

They usually hold reserves for 2 days, after that it's first come, first serve.

So was the game already paid off? If it was, I'm guessing one of them saw it was paid off and swiped it (or maybe had a friend come in and claim it). When they were caught, they probably gave you a copy and would pay for it themselves once you left so the register wasn't off.

Definitely sounds shady. If your friend still has the receipt from when he paid it off, I would contact TellGameStop.com with the transaction information and request they investigate it. I'd be willing to bet that your friend isn't the first or won't be the last to be screwed by this employee(s). I'm sure the company would be happy to know that an employee is stealing customers' games.

[quote name='sp00ge']Definitely sounds shady. If your friend still has the receipt from when he paid it off, I would contact TellGameStop.com with the transaction information and request they investigate it. I'd be willing to bet that your friend isn't the first or won't be the last to be screwed by this employee(s). I'm sure the company would be happy to know that an employee is stealing customers' games.[/QUOTE]

I vote for this.

I've had something similar happen with Black Ops ; an employee told me my copy was already gone. It was still within the 2 day pick up period; but the store was out of copies for people who hadn't preordered. The employee told me the game had been picked up and there were no copies available in the store. Even though I had a receipt - he told I had probably made a mistake preordering and there was nothing he could do. I asked for a manager and explained the situation. He said he would check it out and while I was waiting for a resolution (10-15 minutes); I overheard the manager tell the employee to retrieve the copy of the game. He left the store out the front door and came back with the copy; again back in the front door. He went to the manager who checked the game and then came up to me at the counter and was like, "here it is" all nonchalantly. I asked him where the copy came from - where the kid he went.

He was short on answers so I asked for the district manager's phone number. He would not provide it and asked me to leave the store. I called the corporate number and spoke to someone in customer service. I ended up speaking to a few people before finally getting the district and regional manager. I gave them all the information and a week later, the manager and employee were both fired.

Lots of shadiness at the Gamestop. That was also my last preorder.

They r shady, period. I've had a problem with RapeStop ever since the first day they started selling brand spanking new copies of games with the plastic torn off. Why you may ask? Because they are sure you'll never be returning that game for ca$h, store credit or exchange only.

Look at the used game market, they finally have competition in used game selling and they still have ri-damn-diculous prices for pre-owned games.

Get the word out to everyone you know there are lots of better places to get games, both new and used and that includes right here at CAG!

[quote name='Stoic Person Eater']I've had something similar happen with Black Ops ; an employee told me my copy was already gone. It was still within the 2 day pick up period; but the store was out of copies for people who hadn't preordered. The employee told me the game had been picked up and there were no copies available in the store. Even though I had a receipt - he told I had probably made a mistake preordering and there was nothing he could do. I asked for a manager and explained the situation. He said he would check it out and while I was waiting for a resolution (10-15 minutes); I overheard the manager tell the employee to retrieve the copy of the game. He left the store out the front door and came back with the copy; again back in the front door. He went to the manager who checked the game and then came up to me at the counter and was like, "here it is" all nonchalantly. I asked him where the copy came from - where the kid he went.

He was short on answers so I asked for the district manager's phone number. He would not provide it and asked me to leave the store. I called the corporate number and spoke to someone in customer service. I ended up speaking to a few people before finally getting the district and regional manager. I gave them all the information and a week later, the manager and employee were both fired.

Lots of shadiness at the Gamestop. That was also my last preorder.[/QUOTE]

Was the copy that they gave you opened?

[quote name='Xellos2099']A few month a friend of mine preordered and fully paid for MW3 from gamestop but never remember to pick it up since he find a cheaper copy after release. He finally go to the gamestop to pick up his copy last week, they claim it has been pick up already and claim they have it on tape.

Since my friend never pick it up he demand to see the video; then the a few employee talk for like 30 minute and at the end one of them just grab a copy from the shelf and give it to my friend without receipt. T]hink an employee stole the copy and pretend my friend pick it up it is it an honest mistake?[/QUOTE]

what? honestly, not trying to be a nazi grammar, but i can barely understand what you're saying. so your friend already got it without a receipt?

other than that, they will only reserve it for 48 hours. first come, first served. sucks but its on the receipt.

[quote name='david12795']what? honestly, not trying to be a nazi grammar, but i can barely understand what you're saying. so your friend already got it without a receipt?

other than that, they will only reserve it for 48 hours. first come, first served. sucks but its on the receipt.[/QUOTE]

If you cant understand him maybe you should not reply, he clearly states the friend bought it cheaper. And forgot about picking up his cash from the preorder,when he went to pick up his CASH they told him someone already picked up the game and he's SOL. He argued and they got scared and gave him a copy of the game but not his money

And I am not trying to be mean, but when you call someone out on grammar make sure yours is good. I mean what is a nazi grammar, grammar nazi I get

[quote name='Xellos2099']Think an employee stole the copy and pretend my friend pick it up it is it an honest mistake?[/QUOTE]

Anytime someone plays the "it's on tape" card for something that happened randomly in the past they're either covering up tracks they've already made or simply lying. Nothing honest about your situation.

I'm glad to hear they buckled for you rather quickly, you may have had a hard time getting your game/money back if they were smarter.

[quote name='david12795']what? honestly, not trying to be a nazi grammar, but i can barely understand what you're saying. so your friend already got it without a receipt?

other than that, they will only reserve it for 48 hours. first come, first served. sucks but its on the receipt.[/QUOTE]

You missed the point. Re-read the OP maybe?

Anyway, I agree with Spooge - call GS HQ and tell them what happened. The employee(s) there are obviously stealing games. They see a prepaid preorder that has been outstanding for a couple of weeks so they steal it for themselves figuring that the person will never come in to pick it up (like anyone would pay $60 for something and then NOT come to pick it up...right). The fact that the GS employee was so quick to give your friend the game when your friend had just started to barely complain is awful suspicious. Usually when I go to GS to do an exchange or return I get the 5th degree from them...so the fact that he got the game as soon as he started to make a stink just doesnt sit right with me. :whistle2:k:whistle2:k:whistle2:k

i actually got an email from gamestop saying i had reserves. so i went and showed up to have them remove, ,me thinking it was preorder reserves)

i walked in and they had 2 fully paid games already a couple weeks old. halo A. uncharted 3. they gave me the copies without any problems.

[quote name='Kerig']Anytime someone plays the "it's on tape" card for something that happened randomly in the past they're either covering up tracks they've already made or simply lying. Nothing honest about your situation.[/QUOTE]
Yup. That's the exact same argument that was used by the night manager at McDonald's who stole my laptop. He swore up and down that they had me on tape leaving with my laptop bag. After getting the police involved, I was informed that the security cameras don't even record at night. Too bad the cops still didn't believe me and instead accused me of selling my stuff and lying about it...

[quote name='chiwii']Was the copy that they gave you opened?[/QUOTE]
No, it was still sealed; but expected it to be open.

I've gone to pick up a preordered game before and they tried to give me an opened copy saying it was the display or whatever. I got a full refund for that after threatening to call corporate. More people need to threaten to call corporate.

[quote name='Stoic Person Eater']No, it was still sealed; but expected it to be open.

I've gone to pick up a preordered game before and they tried to give me an opened copy saying it was the display or whatever. I got a full refund for that after threatening to call corporate. More people need to threaten to call corporate.[/QUOTE]

It sounds like the employee didn't pre-order, and then wanted to buy the last copy when it became clear that they would run out. You should have told him that he needs to pre-order.

I was thinking about pre-ordering Xenoblade at a local GS. However, I do not want a gutted copy. I guess I'll be ordering it online. I wish Amazon was going to sell it.

[quote name='chiwii']I wish Amazon was going to sell it.[/QUOTE]
Ditto, but at least you can order it directly from Nintendo online.

bread's done
Back