VGA questions

[quote name='omgu8myrice']i think you can get something better for that price, that company is bs

go westinghouse at LEAST[/quote]
You say that, yet provide no links =p

Aside from the somewhat prominent brand name, what makes that Acer one better? The specs make it look worse. the Sceptre one also has all 4-5/5 reviews on newegg, which makes me think that maybe the past disappointments of the company have been fixed. Correct me if I am wrong, I'm goina go to Costco tommorow and check it out in person, and maybe buy it, which allows me to exchange it should the need arise.

VGA can do 1080p.

When purchasing a PC monitor for game playing purposes, the most important 'feature' is repsonse time. I use the 22" widescreen Samsung 226BW, which has a 2ms response time, which is about as good as you can get in a LCD PC monitor.

Anything above a 5-6ms response time and you may notice 'ghosting' on your monitor. Ghosting is blurry trails visible on screen when you move quickly. This is especially annoying when playing quick moving games like FPS's.

[quote name='drbutchevil']Well, what does contrast ratio do for gaming?[/quote]

The greater the contrast ratio, the brighter the monitor. Supposedly the its the difference between the brightest white, and the darkest black. So 3000:1 is better than 1000:1 for example.

I thought Contrast ratio has more to do with how dark the blacks get, not how bright the monitor is. LCDs generally have lower Contrast than say DLPs, its one of the few flaws of LCDs, but they have made some GREAT GREAT improvements recently in contrast ratio's.

[quote name='REL1203']I thought Contrast ratio has more to do with how dark the blacks get, not how bright the monitor is. LCDs generally have lower Contrast than say DLPs, its one of the few flaws of LCDs, but they have made some GREAT GREAT improvements recently in contrast ratio's.[/quote]

Its how dark the blacks get, and how bright the whites get. The difference is the ratio. And yeah, one of the caveats of LCD technology is that its very hard to get true black. Even the darkest blacks on an lcd usually only look very dark grey.

Contrast ratio is also a big crock when comparing tvs, as there are no laboratory standards for said ratios and each company uses their own standards.

[quote name='DreamSymphony']Contrast ratio is also a big crock when comparing tvs, as there are no laboratory standards for said ratios and each company uses their own standards.[/quote]

Yeah they lie like a rug about contrast ratios. They use different settings to measure the black than they do the white. So its impossible to realize the ratios they mention unless you could somehow adjust your contrast/brightness, etc on the fly as you play a game or do whatever on the monitor.

Thats why contrast ratio isnt that important of a stat to look at when considering a monitor. Refresh rates, response times, and resolutions are far more important.

[quote name='pogipinoy27']Related question...

Are there any deals on the VGA cable for the 360 that includes the optical out?[/quote]

ebay it, i bought one off some guy in hong kong for < $15 shipped....retail is $40, and its hard to find elsewhere under $30

it was brand new microsoft brand...

seller's name is "good-online-shops," he has a ton of them

i have a 20" 720p vizo hdtv, would there be any benefit to me running VGA cables over component cables ??. any help would be great thanks guys.

[quote name='rusty']ebay it, i bought one off some guy in hong kong for < $15 shipped....retail is $40, and its hard to find elsewhere under $30

it was brand new microsoft brand...

seller's name is "good-online-shops," he has a ton of them[/quote]

Yeah I ended up doing that earlier today. Found a generic brand for 10.46 shipped. Not bad eh?

[quote name='jakehoss']i have a 20" 720p vizo hdtv, would there be any benefit to me running VGA cables over component cables ??. any help would be great thanks guys.[/quote]

I want to know the same thing as I will be hooking up to a 32" Samsung HDTV (720p). I believe that one of the advantages is that when it's hooked up via VGA (or HDMI), you're able to take advantage of the 360's ability to upconvert DVDs.

[quote name='pogipinoy27']Yeah I ended up doing that earlier today. Found a generic brand for 10.46 shipped. Not bad eh?[/quote]

You might end up regretting it, as others in the many VGA threads that have come up have said too. Analog signals can suffer from interference due to poor shielding, and a lot of the generic ones suffer. Gamestop has the Microsoft branded cable for $10, just takes a little searching and possibly some patience to come up with one. Definitely worth spending a little more money on a quality cable for an analog source.

I went with the Acer from Circuit City for $390 + tax after coupons. I love this thing, its 100 % high quality. Clear picture, very bright, very big, 1080p, even though its only upconverted, looks great and... the ignoring everything else it has one major advantage over my old Hanns-G... absolutely no visible backlight bleeding. Now, for the real test, tommorow, COD4 :D Thanks much for the help fellas.

bread's done
Back