video card help/suggestion

greyzieoriental

CAGiversary!
Feedback
68 (100%)
i dont know a lot about computers so anyone please help, my friend gave me a tower that is posed to be in working condition, it turns on and everything but when i plug the monitor into the video card nothing appears on the screen, and yes everything is on and tight and secure. i tried the tower on another monitor and same thing nothing shhows up, i was told that its a video card problem, so i'm guessing i'll need a new video card?

i'm not sure if thats the problem but the next problem is what kind of video card do i need? these AGP, PCI and PCI express i was told.

is there a way to tell what kind of card it is? or will the motherboard say something that will tell me what kind i need?

if it helps on the back of the video card says ATI Rage 128, thanks in advance to anyone who can help

edit: any suggestions on a nice cheap but good card? not looking att more than 40$, thanks

Does the tower have a video input on the motherboard? (Basically, is there a place you can plug in the monitor that is not the video card). If so, use that and remove the video card for now.

As for the card itself:

It's only going to be AGP or PCI, dont worry about PCI-Express.
Inside the case, the AGP slot and PCI slots look quite different. PCI slots have a white border around them anbd there are 2-5 of theses, AGP usually an orangish border and rarely more than 1 slot.
Any decent card in the $50 price range should be fine for regular computing. Just run a search at pricegrabber. If you have an AGP slot, use that. Or you can just get a PCI card if you don't think you can determine what AGP looks like.

thanks looks like theres an AGP slot and like 4 PCI slots, looks like i'ma need a sound card too, looks like i should just build my own computer, instead of fixing up this old one, i think m friend said its only a pentium 3

Honestly it looks like you do not yet know much about computers. I would really suggest you buy instead of build for several reasons.

1. If you do not plan to spend much money on building it then buying will be cheaper to due the cost of Windows added in and maybe a monitor. These two things make buying much more attractive because if you are building a $500 computer then atleast $160 will towards Windows and a monitor.

2. No chance of messing anything up buring building or installation.

3. Buying one gives you tech support, which at your current knowledge level would be good.

4. You get a warranty on the whole computer not just the parts.

Are the drivers installed?

If its really bugging you badly I would just buy a computer. But if you can install a card dont get one for $40. They just aren't worth it, because you would probally upgrade soon after you got it.

I have about three of these crappy Rage 128s laying around my room that I pulled out of out old Marathon machines at school. They seem to crap out really easily, hence the reason I have three of them, but otherwise they seem to work alright. There's one in my sister's compooter, which she plays the Sims with. Here's what your card looks like (heatsink, the black thing, might look different). They're $90 off of Newegg.

I've Been looking for a video card that will run any game on the market . Like Most People I Have a small budget so it makes things difficult since i like to play high graphic demanding FirstPerson Shooters. I can't spend more than 180$. I've looked at alot of video cards and found alot that suit my needs but are too expensive . I want to Get around 50 Frames per second for the most graphic demanding gamesmore would be better. I know alot about them seeing as i'm a hardcore gamer. It's been awhile since i got one an its gotten harder to get a good priced card that is afforable. the bottomline is if anyone knows of some affordable video cards please give me list. My cpu is Celron 3.06GHz 1Gb of ram. If anyone can help me please reply as soon as possible. I forgot to mention it must be an AGP.

Well... first of all, that computer is a piece of shit in all honesty. A Celeron isn't very good even if it's at 5GHz because it's not a very efficient processor. 1GB of ram should be fine for games.

I doubt you'll be able to find a AGP GPU that'll let you play the most demanding games at 50 fps. Another problem is that processor. Normally you can balance the resolution to make use of both processor and GPU equally to get great results on average PCs but that processor sucks- it wasn't meant to game. Lower resolution uses more processor power while higher resolutions use more GPU power.

I'm not sure what kind of a GPU would enable you to run FEAR or HL2 at 50 fps with that processor. Maybe someone with a Celeron can better resolve this.:whistle2:k

Like you said, a Pentium 3 is way too out of date (P4's are old now in their entirety as well). If I were you I would actually ditch that whole computer and get a new one. Since you seem to be unfamiliar with computers in terms of hardware, you may be best off getting one pre-built. However, this doesn't necessarily mean some kind of cheap Dell Disaster computer. CyberPower and IBuyPower sell you custom built computers that they make and than ship to you, ready to use. They're pretty sturdy PC's, and the price can kick the crap out of any Alienware you find. Try heading over to the sites and making some PC's. They always have some kind of promotions (free shipping or a free game or something), so that's good as well. Finally, they offer tech support (in truth it's not very good, but better than nothing); you won't really need tech support if you can just post your problems on CAG.

Thanks Vinny, I know that celron sucks but i got it anyway because the computer was a really good price. I looked at pentiums and amd's but they ran for almost twice as much as the one i got and i still barely have enough money to get a good card and also i just had the ram upgraded today from 512 to 1gb.(my last post said 1 Gb but i hadn't gotten upgraded yet). thats another reason that i want a good video card. Since its celron i need a better video card to have a better gameing experience. If it were'nt for the money i wouldn't have any problems and would already be playing games on my computer. Thanks again vinny. If Anyone know of a video card that is around 180$ and can run any game nowadays please let me know. By the way my copmuter has a 80gb 7200 (forgot what you call it i do that time to time) And a 300Gb 7200 hardrive.

$180 is actually plenty of money for a good GPU. Here are two that I'd recommend.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130036

Or

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814131427

The X1600Pro is probably better and costs less. I'll level with you when I say you probably won't see anything above 30 fps but 30 fps is very smooth.

Now here's another problem: your power supply probably isn't enough to run this thing very well and I'm guessing your case probably has poor ventilation (these newer cards run hot, usually over 60C during games).

If I were you, I'd try to salvage that PC as much as possible and save up and build a decent PC.

Actually i found a Nvidia GeForce 6800 Gt for 170$ brand new.It apparently from reviews and what i've read it runs pretty cool and is better than the two cards you suggested. it also runs fine on 350 watts. everywhere else it in the 200-300$ range.I also have found a Nvidia GeForce 6800 Ultra for a little over 200$. If any of these are a good choice for my setup please let me know. I'm still gonna look around for a while for anything else or to find better prices. thanks again vinny. please get back to me.

[quote name='Kerry King']Actually i found a Nvidia GeForce 6800 Gt for 170$ brand new.It apparently from reviews and what i've read it runs pretty cool and is better than the two cards you suggested. it also runs fine on 350 watts. everywhere else it in the 200-300$ range.I also have found a Nvidia GeForce 6800 Ultra for a little over 200$. If any of these are a good choice for my setup please let me know. I'm still gonna look around for a while for anything else or to find better prices. thanks again vinny. please get back to me.[/quote]

Yeah the 6800 GT is a decent card for you system, but do no expect to play F.E.A.R. at 50FPS. And really, your Celeron is holding back everything you do. You could shove a top of the line card into your system and still have it run like crap due to your CPU.

[quote name='Kerry King']Actually i found a Nvidia GeForce 6800 Gt for 170$ brand new.It apparently from reviews and what i've read it runs pretty cool and is better than the two cards you suggested. it also runs fine on 350 watts. everywhere else it in the 200-300$ range.I also have found a Nvidia GeForce 6800 Ultra for a little over 200$. If any of these are a good choice for my setup please let me know. I'm still gonna look around for a while for anything else or to find better prices. thanks again vinny. please get back to me.[/QUOTE]

Of course it's better, it costs more. But the 6800GT is a great card and if it'll run with your PS, then keep that as a potential choice. And remember to buy from Newegg.com- their return policy is pretty sweet and they usually let you return the card in 30 days if you don't like it for a full refund.

I found an ATI all-in-wonder X800 Radeon for 169.99$ and a X800 XT for 209.99$. Also i found an eVGA e-Geforce 7600 GT KO for 160$. Please let me know if any these are better. i just want to make sure i get the best card for my money. im ganna continue to look for something better. In the meantime please send me a reply. Also i want to get a new cpu i know they are expensive but it seems like im going to have to get a new some time anyway so i might as well get one now. if anyone knows a site that has good priced cpus let me know.

Never buy any of ATI's All-in-Wonder cards... they're not worth it.

But definitely go for that eVGA 7600GT KO, I didn't even know they made an AGP version of that card but that card will smoke any of the other cards easily.

[quote name='Vinny']Never buy any of ATI's All-in-Wonder cards... they're not worth it.

But definitely go for that eVGA 7600GT KO, I didn't even know they made an AGP version of that card but that card will smoke any of the other cards easily.[/quote]

go to www.techbargains.com and get the AIW 1900 card for 150, totally worth it

Sorry th 7600 GT KO is a PCI-e. i guess i got excited so i forgot to post that . But i'm pretty sure that my motherboard has a pci-e slot. i'll have to double check. From what i've read its better than AGP though they have about same performance. If you say the 7600 GT KO is much better should i get it even though its a pci-e. If so i found a Nvidia GeForce GS For 190$ free shipping - is one of the newest cards. the place selling it says its not available at most retail stores as of yet.thanks.

It's true that PCIe doesn't really show much of an advantage until higher end GPUs but PCIe is getting more support from card makers.

If you PC has a PCIe then definitely go for that 7600GT KO, it's a great card especially for the price.

I found a Nvidia GeForce 7900 GS for 190 $ the place selling says that most retailrs don't even sell them yet. I think this ones even better than the 7600 GT KO. i'm still trying to find a cpu . please get back to me as soon as possible. I'm thinking that i could sell my processor from my other computer and sell the celron from my computer and should be able to get a good amount of money my other processor was an intel pentium 4.

The 7900GS should be better if you can find it but I'm fairly sure that it's not out yet. They've only had the 7900GT/GTX so far.

As for selling your processor, Celerons and P4s really don't get that much anymore.

actually the place i found it at says that its not out in most places but they have it but wont ship it till the 8/28. By the way do you know of any sites that i can find processors for a decent price. I have a good amount of money but I'm in a band and need a new drum set so i really don't want to spend it but if its nessecary. Do you think its worth the extra money to get a new processor.thanks again you've been a big help.

I just got done looking up what kind of video slots my pc has it not only does not have a pci-e slot it doesn't even have an AGP slot. damn this computer was a rip off. I looked online and found that motherboards are pretty cheap these days so i think i will by a new one. iwas probably thinking of my other computer for the motherboard has a pci-e slot. But It went out thats why i got this computer. I'll get a board that has a pci-e slot. I'm gonna have to spend some more money but i know i will play alot so t will be woth it. By the way i looked back at the 7900 GS and the retail version is not out yet and it is in oem packaging meaning it does not come with drivers and cables but with the purchase the seller will send a burned copy of the drivers and i can download them anyway.

I found the 7900 GS for 160$ I also found a good mother board for around 75$. Do you know of a place to get a cpu for cheap price. Intel or Amd is fine i really don't care as long as they are pretty decent.

I waited to long and the 7900 GS were bought. the cheapest i can get it now is 200$. The next best Card is the 7600 GT KO and i can get it for 139.99$. I'm going to get a new cpu and motherboard . Does anyone know where to find them for a cheap price.Also i found a 7600 GT CO for139.99. Which is better the 7600 GT KO or the 7600GT CO. If Anyone knows please reply back

I am getting either a GeForce 7600 Gt Ko or a GeForce 7600 GT CO. Which one would Be better. The co is the same price and has a higher clock memory. They require a minimum of 350 watts and my computer only has 300 watts what would be a good 400 watt power supply. my cpu is a celron.

bread's done
Back