Video Card question.

I am using windows 98 se, and i was using a integrated graphics card which is a intel extreme card ( 8MB - 12MB ) and i bought a Diamond ATI Radeon 7000 64MB PCI card. What you have to do , which gateway also told me to do is just uninstall everything about your own card meaning intel, and of course open the tower, and slide in the new graphic card in a open slot and put the tower back on, turn on the computer ( again ) and the new card should work.

Now , once the new card is in place tho and before you turn on the computer ( which i forgot to mention ) that long white cord with the Blue end must go into the new video card slot on the outside of the tower. So take it out the old slot and place it in the new slot where the video card is.

This is how it works on windows 98 se with a ati radeon 7000 64MB.

What he said may be accurate for him, but just be warned that each case / mobo setup will be slightly different.

You had the right "general" idea -
Uninstall Intel Xtreme drivers
Install Radeon drivers (if possible without card)
Shut computer down
Place Radeon card in slot - attach wires where necessary
Reboot
(Install Radeon drivers if it wasn't possible without the card)

Should be a piece of cake.

a good video card driver cleaning program is drivercleaner pro and a safe way to remove the drivers (from what I heard anyways) would be to uninstall the drivers in regular windows mode then boot in safe mode and run drivercleaner pro to clean the registry of any other files that intel might have left behind. Then restart and install the drivers for the radeon. Just some things that you might want to know.

Thanks all!

this is what the thing looks like:

14-103-167-01.JPG

[quote name='Admiral Ackbar']You also may have to disable the oboard graphics chip in the bios. It depends on your motherboard.[/QUOTE]

Alright, I will have to check in my BIOS. thanks!

[quote name='Admiral Ackbar']You also may have to disable the oboard graphics chip in the bios. It depends on your motherboard.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I second this. If it's left enabled in the BIOS, it's still eating up system memory! Why take a performance hit on something you're not using? The same goes for serial ports, parallel ports, and floppy drives. If you don't use them, disable them!

bread's done
Back