Video Card Upgrade?

jkimrey

CAGiversary!
Feedback
98 (100%)
I have a desktop PC with the following specs:

System
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Manufacturer Dell Inc.
Model Studio XPS 8000
Total amount of system memory 8.00 GB RAM
System type 64-bit operating system
Number of processor cores 4

Graphics
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Display adapter type NVIDIA GeForce GTS 240
Total available graphics memory 4095 MB
Dedicated graphics memory 1024 MB
Dedicated system memory 0 MB
Shared system memory 3071 MB
Display adapter driver version 8.17.12.6099
Primary monitor resolution 1024x600
DirectX version DirectX 10

It's my understanding that from a gaming perspective, the video card is probably the weakest link.

Any idea how much it would cost to upgrade my graphics card in order to see a noticeable difference in games like Mass Effect 2?

I'm not looking to spend a lot of money - just curious whether a noticeable upgrade could be achieved for $100 or so...

Thanks for any advice.

A computer with those stats exceeds the recommended requirements for Mass Effect 2, so I don't know what kind of magic something new might bring.

Nonetheless, you might want to find out what processor your computer has, and double-check what kind connector your video card uses (Probably PCI Express x16, but best to make sure.)

It's PCI-E and I think the OP should look at a GTX460 1GB card, if he can stretch his budget a little above $100 and possibly deal with a mail-in rebate.

[quote name='shrike4242']It's PCI-E and I think the OP should look at a GTX460 1GB card, if he can stretch his budget a little above $100 and possibly deal with a mail-in rebate.[/QUOTE]
Just make sure the PSU can handle whatever the new card is.

[quote name='Lawyers Guns N Money']Just make sure the PSU can handle whatever the new card is.[/QUOTE]
the psu and air flow are the biggest issues for ya since dells psu's tend to be all over the place

Not sure why it was showing that as the resolution.

My main display is actually at 1920x1080 (Dell ST2410).

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']From an everything perspective, the weakest thing is your tiny monitor. Upgrade from that 1024x600.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the suggestions.

Perhaps I should just stick with the video card I have right now - the potential air flow issue worries me if I get a new video card - don't want to overheat anything.

[quote name='jkimrey']Thanks for the suggestions.

Perhaps I should just stick with the video card I have right now - the potential air flow issue worries me if I get a new video card - don't want to overheat anything.[/QUOTE]

pop it open, see how much room you have, how many fans you have etc. you could always add a fan or upgrade the fans you have.

From the quick Google searches I did, it looks like an XPS 8000 has a 350W PSU, which may be an issue for some video card upgrades, like the one I suggested.

A 350W PSU (especially one in a Dell as it's probably some random brand) would be an issue for most video cards worth their weight.

Probably better of waiting and then getting a nice 450-500W Antec/Corsair/Seasonic/etc... PSU along with a 460 or a 5770.

bread's done
Back