Video-Game Sales a Record $12.5B in '06

[quote name='MadFlava']with next gen software at $60 a pop and 99.99% of Americans not CAG'ers... I'm not surprised at all.[/QUOTE]

Number one reason right there. There's three viable consoles (five counting handhelds) and software is at the highest its ever been since the SNES/Genesis days, and gaming is much more mainstream now.

Now the interesting thing would be to bring in some other annual slaes reports in.. say vehicle sales, clothing sales, CD/Movie sales, etc.

[quote name='Snake2715']Now the interesting thing would be to bring in some other annual slaes reports in.. say vehicle sales, clothing sales, CD/Movie sales, etc.[/quote]

Well, I do know that the game industry rakes in more dough annually than Hollywood, and digital cd sales have gone up in the past year.

[quote name='MadFlava']with next gen software at $60 a pop and 99.99% of Americans not CAG'ers... I'm not surprised at all.[/QUOTE]

I agree.

Also the Wii got people excited about gaming. People covering the age spectrum where coming in my friends walmart asking him if they had it in stock.

The PS3 brought out tons of fanboys who haven't got to buy a playstation in 6 years. Also the tons of resellers trying to resell on ebay help sells.

The 360 IMO is becoming the next PS2 it will be the console everyone has, and it will have the biggest library of games. Its already very sturdy platform that game makers, and designers "love to program for."

[quote name='CitizenB']
The 360 IMO is becoming the next PS2 it will be the console everyone has, and it will have the biggest library of games. Its already very sturdy platform that game makers, and designers "love to program for."[/quote]

QFT, the 360 has is looking more and more like what the PSone was in the 90's and what the PS2 was doing 5 years ago. Its a refinement of everything they tried to introduce to gaming with the original Xbox and it is now attracting the general public and not just hardcore gamers. The next step I really want to see them do is really promote independent and homebrew game development for Xbox Live Arcade. Its a great way for new gaming concepts and ideas to be developed at such a low risk.

[quote name='MadFlava']QFT, the 360 has is looking more and more like what the PSone was in the 90's and what the PS2 was doing 5 years ago. Its a refinement of everything they tried to introduce to gaming with the original Xbox and it is now attracting the general public and not just hardcore gamers. The next step I really want to see them do is really promote independent and homebrew game development for Xbox Live Arcade. Its a great way for new gaming concepts and ideas to be developed at such a low risk.[/quote]

In order for that to happen, I think the 360 will need to attract more niche genre developers. MS is doing well by getting Treasure and Mistwalker in there, but to really expand their market to Japan shmups, 2D fighters, and RPGs are a necessity.

bread's done
Back