Video Games’ Five Biggest Mistakes in this Generation

Larrabee213

CAGiversary!
(Edit: For Some reason #5 did not get pasted, I added it.)

http://redzonegamer.com/?p=26

1. The Absence of Rumble at the PlayStation 3 Launch
2. No Online Vision for the Nintendo Wii
3. Xbox 360 Red Ring of Death Epidemic
4. Sega ’s Determination to Destroy Sonic the Hedgehog
5. The Disappearance of Nintendo’s Seal of Quality

Let me know what you think of the article!

[quote name='Larrabee213']http://redzonegamer.com/?p=26

2. Sega ’s Determination to Destroy Sonic the Hedgehog
3. The Disappearance of Nintendo’s Seal of Quality
4. No Online Vision for the Nintendo Wii...

Let me know what you think of the article![/quote]

1. It really wasn't that much of deal, except maybe for playing PS2 games.
2. Sonic was dead along time ago, they just won't let it go.
3. Who Cares? I sure as hell don't. Definately not one the of top five mistakes.
4. Nintendo doesn't care you will still buy there products.
5. How the hell did you mess all this bulleting up and not include the RROD in your quote of the article?

[quote name='darthbudge']1. It really wasn't that much of deal, except maybe for playing PS2 games.
2. Sonic was dead along time ago, they just won't let it go.
3. Who Cares? I sure as hell don't. Definately not one the of top five mistakes.
4. Nintendo doesn't care you will still buy there products.
5. How the hell did you mess all this bulleting up and not include the RROD in your quote of the article?[/quote]

Fixed it, for some reason it wasn't pasted.

Thanks for the comments

lack of rumble at number one? Seriously?

People bitched about the price point(and still do) way way more than lack of rumble.

Personally I'd go with:

1. RROD
2. PS3s price point
3. Little 3rd party support for N
4. Sega, period. The whole thing has gone downhill for the most part, not just Sonic.

If you're just talking dissappointments, I'd add more. Ns lack of seal of quaility isn't really a mistake. Ns online is more of an expected dissappointment rather than a mistake.

Lack of rumble is pretty minor IMO.

Does this not include hand helds? My list would go:

1. Lack of a 2nd analog nub on the PSP. This is an epicly bad design decision IMO.
2. RROD problems for the 360
3. Crap online for the Wii (hasn't hurt their sales at all though)

Sonic has been in pretty crappy games for a while now and Nintendo's Seal of Quality didn't mean much even back in the NES days IMO so it's hard to get excited over those two.

[quote name='wubb']
1. Lack of a 2nd analog nub on the PSP. This is an epicly bad design decision IMO.
[/quote]

Winner. One nub FTL.

[quote name='CriscoKidd']lack of rumble at number one? Seriously?

People bitched about the price point(and still do) way way more than lack of rumble.

Personally I'd go with:

1. RROD
2. PS3s price point
3. Little 3rd party support for N
4. Sega, period. The whole thing has gone downhill for the most part, not just Sonic.

If you're just talking dissappointments, I'd add more. Ns lack of seal of quaility isn't really a mistake. Ns online is more of an expected dissappointment rather than a mistake.[/quote]

The list was in no particular order.

[quote name='wubb']Lack of rumble is pretty minor IMO.

Does this not include hand helds? My list would go:

2. RROD problems for the 360
3. Crap online for the Wii (hasn't hurt their sales at all though)

Sonic has been in pretty crappy games for a while now and Nintendo's Seal of Quality didn't mean much even back in the NES days IMO so it's hard to get excited over those two.[/quote]

Good points, and no, hand helds were not included.

Lack of rumble was a big deal IMO, if for no other reason than proving Sony to be stubborn, but not worthy of being number 1.

I think a bigger deal aside from the RROD is the multiple SKUs for the 360. There should never have been a version released without a HDD.

I agree with wubb about the lack of a second analog nub as well. That was the first thing that held me back from getting a PSP until recently. Most of the games I own are fighters that use the d-pad.

[quote name='Larrabee213'](Edit: For Some reason #5 did not get pasted, I added it.)

1. Initial offering price was far more important than rumble.
2. Nintendo isn't trying to compete head to head with the 360 or PS3, I think this is a conscious decision.
3. Agreed
4. Wha?
5. Huh?

I'll add my own 4 & 5.

4. Microsoft's decision to not include an HD-DVD drive in their Elite or even the Pro system. Blu-Ray may not be the format of choice going forward if this was the case.

5. Sony's Store -- god is that a piece of crap compared to what Microsoft offers.

[quote name='Larrabee213'](Edit: For Some reason #5 did not get pasted, I added it.)

1. Rumble is a gimmick that is overrated, and thus I could careless about.
2.Wii is not about the online plan, its about playing games together with people in the same room.
3. 360s are made from cardboard we all know.
4.Sonic Died with the dreamcast.
5. Nintendo seal of quality has never meant shit. Has anyone ever played some of the bad NES,SNES,N64,GC games? There never was a Seal of Quality for nintendo.

My List would look something like:
1. Shovel Ware and Lack of Original Games on Nintendo Consoles.
2. DLC-age. I dont want to pay you 5 dollars to unlock content already on a disc.
3. PSP needing a second analog stick. Play Katamari on a psp, its painful.
4.Rise of Priacy.
5. Sequel-idis in the gaming industry. Im tired of having sequels year in and year out. I prefer IPs.

I think those are much more important things then ONOES SONIC DIED!

[quote name='Larrabee213']
[/QUOTE]

1. Not a big deal to me.
2. Sucks.
3. A major problem.
4. Sonic was dead long before this generation.
5. Definitely too much shovelware on the Wii, but there are good games too so not a big deal.

For me, the two major mistakes were:

1. Absurd launch price of the PS3.
2. RROD problem on 360.

Other problems I have are more just personal dislikes, rather than objective mistakes. Stuff like $60 games, Nintendo shifting to more casual gamer focus, introduction of motion controls which I don't care for much etc.

Rumble? fuckin' rumble?

What about the fact that graphics are getting waaaaay more attention now than gameplay? That's a problem.

[quote name='Chacrana']
What about the fact that graphics are getting waaaaay more attention now than gameplay? That's a problem.[/QUOTE]

I don't see it personally. The games I've enjoyed most this generation have both looked AND played fantastic.

Maybe the shovelware is getting prettier, but the Wii aside I don't think the ratio of shovelware to quality games has gone up.

[quote name='DesertEagleXIX']I would have added the whole Backwards compatibility issue; Microsoft's halfass attempt; Sony featuring it; then removing it.[/quote]

That's a good one too.

I used to care a lot about backwards compatibility. But to be honest, I didn't use it at all on the Wii despite still having 10 or so GC games around.

I need to quit keeping games as it's so rare I ever replay anything.

I think the PS3 BC is a bigger issue than the no rumble in PS3 controllers.

and the no hdd model of the 360 should be on that list as well.

also, since when are crappy sonic games news/mistakes?

[quote name='Malik112099']Where is Sixaxis?[/QUOTE]

That's been a mistake since the original dual shock. Non-offset analog sticks suck.

[quote name='dmaul1114']I used to care a lot about backwards compatibility. But to be honest, I didn't use it at all on the Wii despite still having 10 or so GC games around.

I need to quit keeping games as it's so rare I ever replay anything.[/QUOTE]

It's a big deal for many PS3 owners; many of us have numerous beloved PS2 titles. Sure, we could buy a PS2 slim, but that defeats the purpose.

I play just as many Gamecube games as Wii games on my system.

I'd replace no rumble and Sonic with high prices of the next gen ($400 - $600 systems, $50+ controllers and $60 games) and more importantly overpriced DLC and downloadable games. Paying to download stuff that should have been in the game is ridiculous and these game downloads are some of the biggest ripoffs I have seen. Last gen, you had tons of compilation discs with 20+ games on 1 disc for $20 or less, now it's $5 - $10 for 1 game.

-How about selling us content that's on the disk? Ala Godfather, NFS... also known as the slow death of 'cheats'

-No consistency in SKU's; imagine if all 360's came with a HD; PSP fat can't use Skype...

-Recycled game ideas; most games are updates to preexisting franchises or ideas.

-Price; why are we paying at least $10 more for game, then even more for D/L content?

-Collector's Editions; nuff said

-Gravitation toward 'mainsteam' games.

[quote name='daminion']
4. Microsoft's decision to not include an HD-DVD drive in their Elite or even the Pro system. Blu-Ray may not be the format of choice going forward if this was the case.
[/QUOTE]

Bluray winning had nothing to do with Sony or Microsoft or consumers, it was what most movie studios wanted so it happened.

Microsoft was smart not to put in an HD drive standard.

The $600 price point was a far bigger snafu than the lack of rumble.

And the Wii shovelware argument is a friggin' urban myth, top to bottom. It's the "Sega does what Nintendon't" of this generation.

I'd say (in order):

$600 price tag
RRoD
Lack of analog nub on the PSP
Lackluster online for the Wii
Botched marketing from Sony, period

[quote name='ElwoodCuse']Bluray winning had nothing to do with Sony or Microsoft or consumers, it was what most movie studios wanted so it happened.

Microsoft was smart not to put in an HD drive standard.[/quote]

You're kidding right?

Most movie studios wanted it because of the sales figures -- which were driven in a large part by the sales of the PS3 console.

Most movie studios didn't care at all about which format was selected. They just wanted a winner so that the consumer wasn't confused and started buying into the format.

In fact I think if they had their choice studios probably would have gone with HD-DVD to avoid Sony's royalty fee's.

Had Microsoft launched the 360 with an HD-DVD drive most consumers would have never heard of Blu-Ray. The "war" would have never started and HD-DVD would be our format today. But that would have priced the 360 much higher than it was, and they would have suffered the same criticism that sony does today. Plus Microsoft didn't have as much a stake in HD-DVD winning as Sony did with Blu-Ray winning.

Anyway, I honestly was surprised when the "elite" console was announced and it was lacking a HD-DVD drive. Had that drive been in the elite Sony would have had a much harder fight.

[quote name='DesertEagleXIX']It's a big deal for many PS3 owners; many of us have numerous beloved PS2 titles. Sure, we could buy a PS2 slim, but that defeats the purpose.

I play just as many Gamecube games as Wii games on my system.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I wasn't saying it wasn't a big deal to anyone.

Just not to me as I just never replay games anymore. I don't even get around to playing all the new games that interest me, much less to spend time replaying something I already beat or picking up last gen games I missed out on.

I think the author has a skewed view of the industry. My top 5:

1. PS3's high initial price
2. 360's lack of hard drive in every model
3. 360's hardware failures
4. Nintendo's failure to keep shelves stocked with Wiis
5. Nintendo rejecting the idea of a sequel to Wii Sports, a multi-million seller that basically defines the Wii to a lot of people

Rumble at launch? Who gives a fuck?

[quote name='Larrabee213']

1. PlayStation 3 Launch & subsequent year after
2. Friend Codes for the Nintendo Wii
[/QUOTE]

Fixed.

I know I'm deviating from the OT, but I thought i would add my own 2 cents about annoyances and mistakes.

1. Hardware Failures
2. Poor SKU planning (lack of standard hard drive + expensive HDD)
3. Crappy Digital Rights Management
4. Spotty Backwards Compatibility
5. No built in Wi-Fi

PS3
1. High Price Point
2. Lack of High Profile Games (which may change in the future)
3. Sixaxis implementation
4. Removing hardware BC from the Market (which leaves spotty BC or No BC depending on SKU)
5. Home delayed, and will need to make up ground against Live.

Games Industry in General
1. Micro Transactions
2. The EA Empire (it could be good or bad, it depends on what happens to Bioware/ Pandemic/Take-two)
3. The words/phrases "hype", "next-Gen", and "AAA title"
4. Games with great graphics but little substance
5. Fanboyism (it's always been around, but it seems to be getting worse lately)

I think that the worst mistake of this generation is the three red lights. A billion dollar mistake...

[quote name='dmaul1114']That's been a mistake since the original dual shock. Non-offset analog sticks suck.[/QUOTE]

Really when is sony going to move the damn analog sticks?

1. RRoD. It may very well be the leading factor in 360 placing last in the console race, paving the way for the PS3 to make history by achieving a late-generation position change despite blunder after blunder. The biggest mistake since the Sega 32x/CD. MS shouldve been nailing Sony's coffin shut but hit their own feet instead.

dsc2457vu8.jpg

3. Multiple SKUs
4. Extended Wii Shortages
5. Next-gen hardware/software prices.

1. The Red Ring of Death and DRM
2. Sony's Launch Price
3. Nintendo's Refridgerator Philosophy
4. Nintendo's Seal of Quality
5. Activision becomes greedy assholes over PS3 Rock Band compatability

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']1. The Red Ring of Death and DRM
2. Sony's Launch Price
3. Nintendo's Refridgerator Philosophy
4. Nintendo's Seal of Quality
5. Activision becomes greedy assholes over PS3 Rock Band compatability[/quote]

When did Nintendo start making Refrigerators?
Did I miss something?

[quote name='InuFaye']When did Nintendo start making Refrigerators?
Did I miss something?[/quote]
It's their philosophy on tackling the Wii's limited hard drive space:

http://gonintendo.com/?p=27171
WN: At the same time, my memory is full. I went to download the Neo Geo games, and it’s like, “you need x blocks of memory.” So it’s like playing a puzzle game, and I have to look at all my memory and think, what do I not want anymore, okay, I’ll move it over here… And it’s a laborious process. There’s just no plans to change this right now?

PK: We’re always talking. But if your refrigerator’s full, you’ve got to pull something out and put something else back in. That’s just the normal issue of space. I mean, really, are you using every single thing on there?
That's the reason I call it their Refrigerator Philosophy.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']1. RRoD. It may very well be the leading factor in 360 placing last in the console race, paving the way for the PS3 to make history by achieving a late-generation position change despite blunder after blunder. The biggest mistake since the Sega 32x/CD. MS shouldve been nailing Sony's coffin shut but hit their own feet instead.[/QUOTE]

lolol RROD isn't exactly new. It hasn't exactly boosted PS3 sales, and 360 sales haven't exactly tanked. It's too late for the PS3, in this country at least.

And how exactly would we know if a problem that existed from launch onward HASNT boosted PS3 sales? All we have are anecdotes from people with failed systems, some of which HAVE defected completely over to PS3.

Tanked is a strong word, but I dont consider sales to be particularly strong, even in their only strong region. Worldwide they may be 3rd as soon as the end of 2009. That is to say, beaten by a system whose says I consider to be very poor. I could see them barely holding onto the U.S. at the end of the generation, but thats a small consolation.

Code:
NPD Monthly Console Hardware Sales

Month      |    360    |    PS3    |    Wii
Nov/2005   |   326,000 |           |
Dec/2005   |   281,000 |           |
Jan/2006   |   250,000 |           |
Feb/2006   |   161,000 |           |
Mar/2006   |   192,000 |           |
Apr/2006   |   295,000 |           |
May/2006   |   221,000 |           |
Jun/2006   |   277,000 |           |
Jul/2006   |   207,000 |           |
Aug/2006   |   205,000 |           |
Sep/2006   |   259,000 |           |
Oct/2006   |   218,000 |           |
Nov/2006   |   511,000 |   197,000 |   476,000
Dec/2006   | 1,100,000 |   491,000 |   604,000
Jan/2007   |   294,000 |   244,000 |   436,000
Feb/2007   |   228,000 |   127,000 |   335,000
Mar/2007   |   199,000 |   130,000 |   259,000
Apr/2007   |   174,000 |    82,000 |   360,000
May/2007   |   155,000 |    82,000 |   338,000
Jun/2007   |   198,000 |    99,000 |   382,000
Jul/2007   |   170,000 |   159,000 |   425,000
Aug/2007   |   277,000 |   131,000 |   404,000
Sep/2007   |   528,000 |   119,000 |   501,000
Oct/2007   |   366,000 |   121,000 |   519,000
Nov/2007   |   770,000 |   466,000 |   981,000
Dec/2007   | 1,260,000 |   798,000 | 1,350,000
Jan/2008   |   229,000 |   270,000 |   274,000
Total      | 9,351,000 | 3,515,000 | 7,644,000

Then numbers show the 360 has outsold the PS3 14 out of 15 months they've both been on the market and has a lead of nearly 6 million.

Yeah, the RROD is killing the 360 and Sony is going to overtake it.

[quote name='daminion']Had Microsoft launched the 360 with an HD-DVD drive most consumers would have never heard of Blu-Ray. The "war" would have never started and HD-DVD would be our format today.[/QUOTE]

Wrong, wrong, and wrong.

HD is a niche format. The public at large does not care AT ALL about HD DVDs in any format yet. Look how many people buy HDTVs and don't even watch HD programming on them. They don't care about resolution or anything, they are happy to stretch a 4:3 SD picture to their giant-ass screen because (a) you can get a huge TV for $1000 and (b) it's way smaller than big TVs used to be.

Microsoft putting an HD DVD drive standard in the Xbox would have done nothing but make the Xbox cost more. It would not have done anything to broaden the market appeal of HD DVD because outside of home theater enthusiasts, regular old DVD is just fine.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Then numbers show the 360 has outsold the PS3 14 out of 15 months they've both been on the market and has a lead of nearly 6 million.
[/quote]

In the one region that 360 is relevant in, yes.

[quote name='ElwoodCuse']Wrong, wrong, and wrong.

HD is a niche format. The public at large does not care AT ALL about HD DVDs in any format yet. Look how many people buy HDTVs and don't even watch HD programming on them. They don't care about resolution or anything, they are happy to stretch a 4:3 SD picture to their giant-ass screen because (a) you can get a huge TV for $1000 and (b) it's way smaller than big TVs used to be.

Microsoft putting an HD DVD drive standard in the Xbox would have done nothing but make the Xbox cost more. It would not have done anything to broaden the market appeal of HD DVD because outside of home theater enthusiasts, regular old DVD is just fine.[/quote]

Agreed.

The jump in quality from DVD to either HD-DVD or Blu-Ray just isn't as dramatic as VHS to DVD was and the average consumer doesn't care about it as much.

[quote name='rodeojones903']The RROD and no standard HDD built in the 360 are the biggest issues imo.[/quote]

I still can't understand why they had a SKU with no HDD when the all original Xboxes had a HDD. Granted, size was a factor, but they could have just released larger HDDs people could upgrade to instead of handicapping developers used to the standard HDD in the orginal Xbox.

bread's done
Back