Vinyl screen protectors? O_o

Spades22

CAGiversary!
Hey, well I bought some cheap-o screen protectors and, well, they basically suck. The thing they gave to go along and prevent air bubbles just scratched the screen protector, and there were still a ton of bubbles even after I got it on (I tried like about 5 times with different covers packaged in there...each time it did this no matter how perfectly clean and careful I was). So, considering I can't really buy stuff online, I heard someone used vinyl or something from Wal-mart? A very thin piece...at least I think it was vinyl.

So has anyone TRIED using vinyl screen protectors for a DS lite? Like just buying a sheet of vinyl from walmart, cutting the appropriate size, then putting it on? If so did it work good and how did you get it to actually stick to the screen?

if you're looking for good/decent screen protectors, I've been using the madcats screen protectors that you buy at best buy/circuit city. they're very good and I have yet to have a probelm with them.

hori all the way, i can't stress this enough, 3rd party screen protectors are VERY iffy, at the least look up a review for them before buying it, you can always find some specialty shops for camera's or palm pilots and get screen protectors from them, but if you want the official DEPENDABLE product, hori is the way to go, but if i remember right you don't have a cc to do online shopping with, i can buy one for you and you can just send me a money order or cheque to cover the cost + shipping if you'd like

I second Hori. Clarivue is also a very nice product. Pretty much all my electronics (cell phone, PSP, DS, camera) has Clarivue on it

I'll fourth Hori, and I just saw them at my local Target this weekend (they were a pack of 5, with "protectors" for the ds case itself as well as the screens, but still).

Yes, Hori is great. It costs $6.99 at Fry's Electronics and they are very high quality and are practically first-party products.

I 32nd Hori screen protectors. I have them for my DS and my PSP. They poop all over any other screen protector out there. A little bit of a pain to put on, but well worth the time and effort. I'm happy to hear people are finding them B&M.

Ya too bad selection is so bad where I live though. My local EB didnt have ANY kind of screen protectors at all. The pack of cheapos I bought (6 for 2 bucks CDN), at least work though. They kind of stick to the screen and leave no residue...but they scratch extremely easily and look kinda dirty (although they get a little better after awhile and its not as bad when you're actually playing...plus no touchscreen issues).
Anyway I'll take a look for the madcatz ones mentioned since I might be able to find those around and maybe the clerivue ones if I can find them. If I DO manage to find the Hori those are #1 lol.

[quote name='maigoyume']hori all the way, i can't stress this enough, 3rd party screen protectors are VERY iffy, at the least look up a review for them before buying it, you can always find some specialty shops for camera's or palm pilots and get screen protectors from them, but if you want the official DEPENDABLE product, hori is the way to go, but if i remember right you don't have a cc to do online shopping with, i can buy one for you and you can just send me a money order or cheque to cover the cost + shipping if you'd like[/quote]
Oh ya and thanks for the offer, just wondering though how much are hori ones? (And how many come in a pack and uhh...how long do they usually last before they're beat up real bad?)

Don't think I'll go the vinyl route...I just don't see how they'd stick to the screen well at all... I mean just plain store-bought vinyl?? I don't want it sliding off when I play then scratching the screen even worse lol

Oh ya...but either way I'm still glad I bought any kind of screen protectors. I was going to buy the slightly more expensive ones but I figured I'd familiarize myself with the cheapos so I know what I'm doing (And I ended up wasting like 4 out of the possible 6 screen protectors lol). It's nice to have the freedom to draw long lines quickly without caring at all XD. I didn't think I'd ever get scratches cause I was careful, but after I got a small 1 cm scratch (that can be only seen when turned at the exact angle and under direct light), I ran over to the store and bought/hoped they'd sell screen protectors at all lol

I definately wouldn't go on the vinyl route. I've never even heard of people using vinyl as screen protectors in the first place.

[quote name='SL4IN']I definately wouldn't go on the vinyl route. I've never even heard of people using vinyl as screen protectors in the first place.[/quote]
Just search "vinyl DS" in the forums and you'll find at least 5 threads where they're mentioned as being good screen protectors for the DS, bought from a local walmart xD. (I also saw it in a blog somewhere where hori protectors were reviewed...)

[quote name='Spades22']Oh ya and thanks for the offer, just wondering though how much are hori ones? (And how many come in a pack and uhh...how long do they usually last before they're beat up real bad?)

Don't think I'll go the vinyl route...I just don't see how they'd stick to the screen well at all... I mean just plain store-bought vinyl?? I don't want it sliding off when I play then scratching the screen even worse lol[/QUOTE]
Only 1 set (top and bottom) comes in a package for Hori. Its about $5-7. Clarivue comes with 2 sets (2 top and 2 bottom). That costs about $8 (purchase from eBay or www.clarivue.com)

As for Hori and Clarivue, they stick on to the screen via static. NO sticky residue, reusable and easy to clean. Got dust or dirt underneath when applying? Just lift up the closest corner, take a piece of scotch tape and grab the particle. Removing bubbles are so easy. Just push the bubbles out.

Any screen protectors that has a sticky residue is never good. Once you get something underneath, its imposibble to get rid of. If you do, you'll just make it worse by attracting more particles.

[quote name='iazybandit']Only 1 set (top and bottom) comes in a package for Hori. Its about $5-7. Clarivue comes with 2 sets (2 top and 2 bottom). That costs about $8 (purchase from eBay or www.clarivue.com)

As for Hori and Clarivue, they stick on to the screen via static. NO sticky residue, reusable and easy to clean. Got dust or dirt underneath when applying? Just lift up the closest corner, take a piece of scotch tape and grab the particle. Removing bubbles are so easy. Just push the bubbles out.

Any screen protectors that has a sticky residue is never good. Once you get something underneath, its imposibble to get rid of. If you do, you'll just make it worse by attracting more particles.[/QUOTE]
Actually, the Horis stick on not by static, but by a different kind of residue.

I goofed up on my top screen, and it collected some dust. So i decided to scratch the dust off since they stuck on by "static". Big mistake, it's not static.

shieldzone make protectors with a lifetime warranty. They use the same stuff the military use on helicopter blades for protection. I have one on my psp and love it.

[quote name='halu102']Actually, the Horis stick on not by static, but by a different kind of residue.

I goofed up on my top screen, and it collected some dust. So i decided to scratch the dust off since they stuck on by "static". Big mistake, it's not static.[/QUOTE]
All the Hori's I got were static. All it took was a piece of scotch to grab the dust. I can touch the bottom of the Hori and it would not stick onto me.

You probably got a fake Hori screen protector. Believe it or not, there are actually fake ones.

the ones I got were kinda sticky but they peel off really easily...actually its almost like those things you buy to stick onto your windows for valentines day or something.

Except I think it will really wreck my stylus now...its already to bumpy cause every stroke scratches it lol. Thankfully I got like 12 Nintendo made stylus' that I found in a box I bought at a garage sale for 5 bucks a year ago. Theres also like 3 PSP battery packs, some sucky anime movies, some marvel action figures, and other stuff.

[quote name='iazybandit']All the Hori's I got were static. All it took was a piece of scotch to grab the dust. I can touch the bottom of the Hori and it would not stick onto me.

You probably got a fake Hori screen protector. Believe it or not, there are actually fake ones.[/QUOTE]
I guess so... even though they were from Fry's. But if you scratch the bottom there will be residue, but it's very fine. If it really was static, why were they stickied onto that protective paper in the first place that is usually made for fine residue type protectors (and why couldn't one apply it the other way around if it was true static. If it was, both sides should be the same.). The difference between Hori and those other protectors is that the residue is very fine on the Horis and will stick more to the plastic than the DS lite screen, that's why "there's no residue" left on the screen when taken off after application.

But perhaps I could've been given the "defective" batch. Oh well. But I still agree Hori's are the better screen protectors. Also, on my top screen I accidentally left a fingerprint and tried to rub that out... unfortunately that just exacerbated the problem.

Btw, my bottom screen was fine, I even had to redo it and there was no residue left on the DSL screen.

edit: looking on the Hori site, the filters have a silicon layer. That's the "residue" film I was talking about. They aren't static.

[quote name='halu102']I guess so... even though they were from Fry's. But if you scratch the bottom there will be residue, but it's very fine. If it really was static, why were they stickied onto that protective paper in the first place that is usually made for fine residue type protectors (and why couldn't one apply it the other way around if it was true static. If it was, both sides should be the same.). The difference between Hori and those other protectors is that the residue is very fine on the Horis and will stick more to the plastic than the DS lite screen, that's why "there's no residue" left on the screen when taken off after application.

But perhaps I could've been given the "defective" batch. Oh well. But I still agree Hori's are the better screen protectors. Also, on my top screen I accidentally left a fingerprint and tried to rub that out... unfortunately that just exacerbated the problem.

Btw, my bottom screen was fine, I even had to redo it and there was no residue left on the DSL screen.

edit: looking on the Hori site, the filters have a silicon layer. That's the "residue" film I was talking about. They aren't static.[/QUOTE]
I dont know. Maybe there is a small layer or residue film on there but its hardly noticeable. Not to mention, I sometimes touch the bottom layer and no finger prints. As I mentioned above, if there is dust or particles, I just dab it with a piece of scotch tape and its on the tape and comes off easily on the screen protector.

Removing bubbles is simple as well. If it was a true vinyl or uses a glue type residue, it would be hard to just smooth out the bubble.

Is there any point to actually putting screen protectors on the top screen? I mean it doesn't seem like it can get scratched when the DS is closed...and when it's open I don't see how it could get scratched either considering it remains untouched...

Hori motherfucker Hori Hori Hori. We've been over this, anything else is wrong.

And the top screen protector is anti-glare and is basically just a safety measure just incase you accidentally somehow scratch it.

[quote name='SpazX']Hori

And the top screen protector is anti-glare and is basically just a safety measure just incase you accidentally somehow scratch it.[/quote]

screw Hori DOUCHE! :bomb:

I'll stick my cheapo-s and I recommend everyone get them. You get more for your money and they work swell enough lol

I won't bother with the top screen...maybe I'll reconsider if I ever actually get a scratch xD

bread's done
Back