Vita and PS4 Predictions

rezound

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Hey guys,

Little late to the party, but the PS4 -> Vita remote play talk has got me looking to buy a Vita. I'm really sad that I missed out on Amazon's Black Friday deal last year. What do you guys think are the odds of a similar deal being offered this year? Also, do you think that the PS4's release will increase or decrease the Vita's price? Cheers!

I'm going to guess we will see a new Vita model.

I think it will be slimmer/sleeker so perhaps a vita lite. It could definitely be thinner and unless they have plans for the rear touchpad they might as well scrap it. The only game I've really used it in was Uncharted and it was more of a I used it because I could then because it added to the gameplay.

I think they could also shrink it by 5-10%... not by much but make it a little bit smaller (i.e. easier to hold ) and then stretch the screen to the top and bottom and ends so you don't lose any screen size or resolution.

If that somehow allowed them to save money (scraping the rear touchpad) I think a $199 price point would be awesome and then do the occassional $250 LE Bundle with game.

PSP 2000 came out 3 years later, so there is almost zero chance of a new version this year unless it is the rumor 4G model. If they get rid of the touch pad it would affect PSOne emulation, games like little deviant and MGS HD

[quote name='62t']PSP 2000 came out 3 years later, so there is almost zero chance of a new version this year unless it is the rumor 4G model. If they get rid of the touch pad it would affect PSOne emulation, games like little deviant and MGS HD[/QUOTE]

You're saying they couldn't do a work around and those games/features would not function at all without the rear touchpad?

I've forgotten it's there to be honest with you.

And I'm sure Sony would like to forget that Little Deviants even existed.

[quote name='GBAstar']I'm going to guess we will see a new Vita model.

I think it will be slimmer/sleeker so perhaps a vita lite. It could definitely be thinner and unless they have plans for the rear touchpad they might as well scrap it. The only game I've really used it in was Uncharted and it was more of a I used it because I could then because it added to the gameplay.

I think they could also shrink it by 5-10%... not by much but make it a little bit smaller (i.e. easier to hold ) and then stretch the screen to the top and bottom and ends so you don't lose any screen size or resolution.

If that somehow allowed them to save money (scraping the rear touchpad) I think a $199 price point would be awesome and then do the occassional $250 LE Bundle with game.[/QUOTE]Yeah I pretty much disagree with everything you've predicted.

What reason does Sony have to reveal a new Vita model with the looming launch of the PS4? An obvious factor as to why Sony wouldn't get rid of the rear touchpad anytime soon is a little game called Tearaway. Why would they remove a feature that plays an INTEGRAL part of a first-party studio's game? Not to mention the fact that said game doesn't even have a solid 2013 release date yet. So yeah, not happening.

I could see them dropping the price though. Assuming the PS4/Vita functionality is up and running day one, I wouldn't be surprised to see Sony say "Hey buy the PS4 and get $-- off a Vita." Or maybe just a flat out price drop like Japan got.

[quote name='GBAstar']You're saying they couldn't do a work around and those games/features would not function at all without the rear touchpad?

I've forgotten it's there to be honest with you.

And I'm sure Sony would like to forget that Little Deviants even existed.[/QUOTE]

List of games that uses touchpad of the top of my head

-ModNation Racers: track editing
-Lumines: to fill the special meter
-Escape Plan: in puzzles
-Little Big Planet: in puzzles (probably in editing modes as well)
-Super StarDust Delta: super powers I believe
-Dynasty Warriors Next: super powers
-Sumioni: Demon Arts - use to create ink
as well as Disgaea 3, UMvC3, and BlazBlue.

So updating every single of those games (especially most are third party) isn't realistic. Finally if remote play the touchpad will be use for extra buttons.

bread's done
Back