Vita Memory Cards finally available for preorder (Amazon)

Minions

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I know this is not exactly a deal, as they are being sold for MSRP....

However I know quite a few people have been waiting for amazon to finally list these cards.

4GB
http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-V..._1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1325887029&sr=1-1

8GB
http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-V...9?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1325887102&sr=1-29

16GB
http://www.amazon.com/16GB-PlayStat...7?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1325887067&sr=1-17

32GB (Became available around 1pm PST)
http://www.amazon.com/32GB-PlayStat...0?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1325887086&sr=1-20

Don't shoot the messenger please. I know this section is for "deals" but I did not see another section that would bring attention to these cards. The 32GB was in huge demand in Japan and sold out the first day. I expect there will be shortages of these in the US, and delays for people who do not order the 32GB early. (aka on the long list at gamestop/newegg)

Hope this helps other people get their preorders locked in.

Last edited by a moderator:
I missed when that went live sadly. I'd probably resell the 4gig if I had landed one though. I don't see them being in high demand too far past launch.

The 4gig was live for like nearly a week (not including the 2 cent fiasco), the 16gb went live yesterday, and the 32 seemed to go live within the last hour or so.

Thanks OP. Grabbed a 32gb so I can dump all my PSP games on my Vita. I'll probably sell the 4gb card that comes with my First Edition Bundle

[quote name='anathema728']god damn hidden costs, and no reason to buy anything other than the 32gb, most gb/$[/QUOTE]

Indeed. The 32GB sold out like crazy in japan though... some stores only got a single 32GB card sent to them. I hope I get mine.

your better of waiting for TRU/Target/BB to offer their buy 1 get 50% off accessories deal or 30%-50% off all accessories for the larger GB's. TRU runs theirs pretty often.

[quote name='yantelope']The memory cards are the reason why I just cancelled my preorder. I'll wait for the slim model in 2 years.[/QUOTE]you'll be able to get them cheaper just by following CAG & it sure won't take 2 yrs to get a reason deal on them but to each...

[quote name='anathema728']god damn hidden costs, and no reason to buy anything other than the 32gb, most gb/$[/QUOTE]

My thoughts exactly....if you'll ever want 32GB total, the costs would be:

1 x 32GB = $99 total
2 x 16GB = $120 total
4 x 8GB = $120 total
8 x 4GB = $160 total

Surprisingly, this is the reverse situation where the higher-capacity cards often costs more per GB than the lower capacity cards.

In the long run, I know I'll want the extra storage (hell, I've already filled that much up on my PSPgo with a built-in 16GB plus a 16GB M2 card) so I've put my preorder in (even though I cancelled my Vita preorder in the hope that they'll come out with a better bundle or vendor deals).

Last edited by a moderator:
Hah! Just read the description for the 32GB card...

Enjoy all of your digital entertainment with the 32GB PlayStation Vita Memory Card. Store your game saves, PSN downloads, and personal media on this memory card. Save up to*:

- 8-16 full PlayStation Vita games
- 24 movies
- 9,136 songs, or
- 6,400 photos​

Only 8 - 16 "full" games on a 32GB card? I guess that's not surprising since I'd expect them to be 1-2GB per game (possibly more), but that means that you'll only be able to store 1-2 games on a 4GB card....all the more reason to go with the bigger card that you don't have to swap out all the time (and possibly lose since they are so damn small).

More details: Calculations based on 1.75GB – 3.5GB average for full PS Vita games, 1.3GB average for movies, 3.5MB average for songs, and 5MB average for photos.

[quote name='Vinny']Here's hoping SanDisk (or any other company, for that matter)...[/QUOTE]

I highly doubt that will be happening anytime soon since I'm sure Sony has embedded DRM in the card itself which would likely result in a major lawsuit against any vendor that cracked the DRM in order to build a compatible card (and there's no way to build a compatible card without cracking the DRM).

Snagged a 32GB for the time being. I'll need a second one eventually though.

Has there been any news on how many GBs the Vita games have been so far? I'm still looking to make all my purchases off the PSN so I'm hoping they're not too big. If they're pretty large I might just stick with buying physical copies.

Edit: Found this link that lists the sizes of the launch games in Japan. http://www.examiner.com/video-game-...ze-revealed-for-ps-vita-launch-games-and-apps

[quote name='DarkonJohn']My thoughts exactly....if you'll ever want 32GB total, the costs would be:

1 x 32GB = $99 total
2 x 16GB = $120 total
4 x 8GB = ~$140 total (just guessing since price isn't currently listed)
8 x 4GB = $160 total

Surprisingly, this is the reverse situation where the higher-capacity cards often costs more per GB than the lower capacity cards.

In the long run, I know I'll want the extra storage (hell, I've already filled that much up on my PSPgo with a built-in 16GB plus a 16GB M2 card) so I've put my preorder in (even though I cancelled my Vita preorder in the hope that they'll come out with a better bundle or vendor deals).[/QUOTE]

The cost of the 8GB card will be $30, so it will have the same $/gb as the 16GB card. I am personally purchasing the 8gb card because I will be purchasing all of my games as physical copies anyways.

I will wait until either the 32gb card drops significantly in price or a 64gb/128gb card comes out in the future to upgrade. My PSP and PS1 games from PSN are already over 32gb, so I will need a big memory card to hold all of those + any digital Vita games I decide to purchase.

[quote name='topplehat']Those prices are painful. This isn't 2004 anymore Sony.

I would advise waiting for some sort of microSD adapter.[/QUOTE]

Oh come on. Just about 1~ year ago, 1.5 max 32GB microsdhc cards were only sold by one company and they were $150 MSRP. That eventually went down to $100~ or so about a year ago and dropped like a rock after that. These are small cards, and like everything "brand new" there is an inherent early adopters "fee".

[quote name='topplehat']I would advise waiting for some sort of microSD adapter.[/QUOTE]

I think you'll have a VERY long wait since:
1) The size of the Vita card is pretty close to the size of an M2 card, which is nearly the same as the microSD card, so it might be physically impossible to build an adapter that could hold a microSD card and fit in the Vita card slot.

2) The Vita card will almost definitely have proprietary DRM build into it that includes unique and encrypted information in each Vita card, so even if you could fit the microSD card in the Vita card slot (which is unlikely), you probably wouldn't be able to include the necessary circuitry to bypass the DRM in the Vita card standard (assuming someone is able to reverse engineer the DRM in the Vita card).

3) If both of the above problems are solved, any company trying to sell such a card would get their pants sued off by Sony for violating several DRM-related laws.

On the positive side, if you really don't want to spend money on the Vita cards, you can stick with a small $20 4GB card for game saves and only buy physical games. Of course, if Sony is smart, they'll discount the PSN versions of the games in order to drive sales of Vita cards and increase their margins buy cutting out the retailer margins.

[quote name='Minions']Oh come on. Just about 1~ year ago, 1.5 max 32GB microsdhc cards were only sold by one company and they were $150 MSRP. That eventually went down to $100~ or so about a year ago and dropped like a rock after that. These are small cards, and like everything "brand new" there is an inherent early adopters "fee".[/QUOTE]

The difference here is that the Vita cards are proprietary, so there won't be any competition to drive prices down. Of course, if nobody is buying the cards and they also aren't buying Vitas because of the card prices, then they can always lower the price of the cards to spur sales of both.

[quote name='Minions']Indeed. The 32GB sold out like crazy in japan though... some stores only got a single 32GB card sent to them. I hope I get mine.[/QUOTE]

And it sounds like Europe won't even be offered the 32GB cards at launch. I guess they'd rather try to keep 2 countries as happy as possible (U.S. and Japan) than piss off everyone.

Ordered. I honestly don't understand why everyone is going nuts over the memory card prices. I think that the reason Sony can price the Vita at $250 is because they know they will make money on the cards. Now, I haven't seen any tear down articles yet with an estimate of the price it costs in parts to make a Vita but I expected it to be $350-$400 on release in the first place so being $350 with 32GB of space seems like a good deal to me.

These insane prices are the primary reason I'm buying the early adopter bundle. Makes it seem like a screaming deal. Though I don't really care to have 3G when I planned on just tethering it to my iPhone.

Thanks for the heads up OP! Was waiting for these to show up. I went with the 8GB for $30. I'm getting raped, but at least I feel like they're using lube...

[quote name='topplehat']Those prices are painful. This isn't 2004 anymore Sony.

[/QUOTE]

Not only that but Sony now has stiff competition from smart phones and tablets. I'll wait to see how the Vita does. I don't know if this turns out like the PSP Go.

[quote name='Saix_XIII']Right, because the deal was never posted on CAG to begin with.[/QUOTE]
Like my parole officer always said, "don't blow the spot son"

Was thinking of canceling my Vita Pre-Order at Amazon with a $10 off coupon code. This just put me over the edge. I can wait for somebody to have a deal on it or a good non-3G bundle. I have tethering on my iPhone. These memory prices are terrible.

I've been debating holding off on the Vita all together, I have so many PSP games I havent even beat yet, PES3P, Tactics Ogre, all the FF games, VC 2 and the Disgaea PSP games.

One thing I notice though that would be a problem ordering from Amazon. I have had the wifi model preordered since the day they put it up and changed it to release date delivery but these memory cards don't have release date delivery so that could be a problem. Might be better off getting the memory cards in a local store like bestbuy or gamestop or something.

as much as im exited for the vita im gonna wait this time, what happened to the 3ds is enough to let people know that buying handheld consoles on release date is not a good idea

[quote name='dEvAnGeL']as much as im exited for the vita im gonna wait this time, what happened to the 3ds is enough to let people know that buying handheld consoles on release date is not a good idea[/QUOTE]

I still haven't bought a 3DS and something tells me it could happen to the Vita.

[quote name='dEvAnGeL']as much as im exited for the vita im gonna wait this time, what happened to the 3ds is enough to let people know that buying handheld consoles on release date is not a good idea[/QUOTE]

Especially when you consider how poorly the Vita has sold in Japan. It's now being outsold by the PSP and 3DS after just a few weeks of being on the market. Sony blew it with pricing it at $250, especially with Uncharted being $50 and these mandatory memory cards even for those of us who won't be downloading games initially. Prices on the system and memory cards and games are going to fall just like the 3DS did.

Just preordered m a 32GB card since I think downloading the games will b better for the vita. Also thanks to bestbuy I have only paid $160 for the wifi vita and 32GB memory card.

Lumines is going to have a retail release, right? I've been wanting to pre-order that one for a while.

If this launch is handled the same way as the 3DS launch, then there could be some great gift card deals that make all of this much easier to swallow. But if they don't do that, I can definitely see myself canceling all of my pre-orders and just waiting for a while.

One of the things I am most curious about is the Vita PSN release of Plants Vs. Zombies. Will they charge a price more in line with the extremely similar mobile versions ($3) or the iPad version ($7) or will they charge $10 to $15 like the HD console versions? To me, $5 seems like a fair price considering the circumstances. If they go $10 or higher, then I have a bad feeling about the future of the Vita, especially with the rumors of $300 iPads later this year.

I have a feeling that Vita will have a price drop along with the accessories within the first year due to poor sales. The Vita 3G has already seen a drop in Japan do to the overall poor performance of the device. Unless you have no game backlog on your PSP/DS I dont see a reason to buy just yet.

I waited (and still am) on the 3DS too but that was easy because the 3DS didn't have any good original games at launch, just a bunch of crap and ports. Hell, it didn't have any good games until a month ago whne they release Mario Land 3DS.

But the Vita has Uncharted. And not just some half-assed Uncharted, but a completely new adventure and it's been reviewed very well. That's gonna make the wait torture for me.

For anyone that pre-ordered the "early edition bundle" from amazon, look at your estimated arrival date, like 1 day before others come out

[quote name='CDiablo']I have a feeling that Vita will have a price drop along with the accessories within the first year due to poor sales. The Vita 3G has already seen a drop in Japan do to the overall poor performance of the device. Unless you have no game backlog on your PSP/DS I dont see a reason to buy just yet.[/QUOTE]

Wrong actually. The 3G model received a price drop because they ran out of wifi models. They also ran out of 32GB cards.

The price was dropped by vendors selling the vita, not sony as far as I know.

http://www.pspworld.com/sony-psp/ne...y-retailers-in-japan-to-lift-sales-014583.php

This articles don't point to the fact the wifi model is sold out pretty much everywhere. At least according to the people I know that live in Japan.

[quote name='Minions']Wrong actually. The 3G model received a price drop because they ran out of wifi models. They also ran out of 32GB cards.

The price was dropped by vendors selling the vita, not sony as far as I know.

http://www.pspworld.com/sony-psp/ne...y-retailers-in-japan-to-lift-sales-014583.php

This articles don't point to the fact the wifi model is sold out pretty much everywhere. At least according to the people I know that live in Japan.[/QUOTE]

I'm guessing you're some kind of Sony fanboy. Unless they manufactured a tiny amount, I can't see how they can be sold out of Wi-Fi Vitas with only a total of 440K sold in three weeks. It sold only 42K units in the third week. That's worse than the 3DS did and worse than the regular six year old PSP did in that third week. There is no way retailers are going to get burned again on a system that doesn't move software and charging extra for a mandatory memory card that people who don't even download games have to buy and $50 for the one must have game title is absurd. This thread should be closed as there is no deal here at all. These memory cards aren't sold out and they are MSRP which is well above comparable storage devices with similar capacity.

[quote name='bojay1997']I'm guessing you're some kind of Sony fanboy. Unless they manufactured a tiny amount, I can't see how they can be sold out of Wi-Fi Vitas with only a total of 440K sold in three weeks. It sold only 42K units in the third week. That's worse than the 3DS did and worse than the regular six year old PSP did in that third week. There is no way retailers are going to get burned again on a system that doesn't move software and charging extra for a mandatory memory card that people who don't even download games have to buy and $50 for the one must have game title is absurd. This thread should be closed as there is no deal here at all. These memory cards aren't sold out and they are MSRP which is well above comparable storage devices with similar capacity.[/QUOTE]

Not a Sony Fanboy. I have a Wii, PS3, and Xbox360. I also have a psp1000,2000, as well as a DS fat, and Dslite. Each system has their own games that are worth playing. Wii (Super Mario Galaxy1/2, Twilight Princess, Skyword sword etc) I could go on listing games for every system but that would take more time than I'm willing to devote to this post.

I just don't like watching people pass miss information for facts. Everyone loves to bandwagon, and I like most people, prefer to make an educated purchase before purchasing a product.

People think there will be a price cut for the Vita. The thing is, Sony is going to use the same strategy they did with the PS3, and keep the price the same for quite a long time before releasing a second generation model at the same price, and probably reducing the older model by $50~ to clear the remaining inventory.

They overestimated the demand for the 3G model. They believed that everyone would flock to their social media pushing version. They underestimated the number of people that wanted 32GB cards and Wifi Models.

Listen to podcasts of people in Japan, or read blogs around the internet. Wifi models are gone, and 3G is all that is left.

[quote name='Minions']Not a Sony Fanboy. I have a Wii, PS3, and Xbox360. I also have a psp1000,2000, as well as a DS fat, and Dslite. Each system has their own games that are worth playing. Wii (Super Mario Galaxy1/2, Twilight Princess, Skyword sword etc) I could go on listing games for every system but that would take more time than I'm willing to devote to this post.

I just don't like watching people pass miss information for facts. Everyone loves to bandwagon, and I like most people, prefer to make an educated purchase before purchasing a product.

People think there will be a price cut for the Vita. The thing is, Sony is going to use the same strategy they did with the PS3, and keep the price the same for quite a long time before releasing a second generation model at the same price, and probably reducing the older model by $50~ to clear the remaining inventory.

They overestimated the demand for the 3G model. They believed that everyone would flock to their social media pushing version. They underestimated the number of people that wanted 32GB cards and Wifi Models.

Listen to podcasts of people in Japan, or read blogs around the internet. Wifi models are gone, and 3G is all that is left.[/QUOTE]

That's exactly what people said about the 3DS. This isn't 2005 anymore. The economy in the US and Europe is in the tank and people have other cheaper options for handheld gaming including smartphones. Yes, the Vita will likely have some great features and experiences you can't get in a smartphone or iPad, but most people are not going to drop $250 plus $20 for a memory card plus $50 for Uncharted or a total of $320 before tax six weeks after Christmas. The price will fall or units will sit unsold, it's as simple as that. Again, there is no deal here. Nobody knows what the ratio of Wi-Fi vs. 3G units is going to be in the US nor what memory card availability will be like. Sony has six weeks, they will likely work out supply issues. This is MSRP and none of this stuff is sold out, so the thread needs to be moved or locked.

If you feel this thread needs to be locked or deleted or moved that's fair and you are entitled to your opinion. But you don't need to bring it up, just report the thread and move on. If a mod agrees they'll do it, if they don't agree then here it shall stay.

bread's done
Back