VNC Server setup?

cdietschrun

CAGiversary!
Feedback
17 (100%)
I am at school and am not going through a router, I connect into my wall. I am not able to have people connect to my VNC Server (I.E. my friend, or myself from computer lab). I want this to work on my computer from the lab to use my environment I have there.

According to VNCs website:

Secure Tunnelling - Most organizations that operate firewalls allow connections to a number of standard ports, that are in principle used only by secure or harmless protocols. The Secure Shell (SSH) protocol, for example, acts as a wrapper around other protocols, allowing them to be used securely over the Internet, and is a protocol which most firewalls allow access through. A Secure Shell client is run on the VNC Viewer computer and is made to forward connections to a particular port on that machine to a port on the VNC Server machine. The forwarded connection is encrypted by the SSH software, which can provide both encryption and authentication.

I have putty on this and my friends/labs computers, but I'm not sure what this means. Port 5900 is the port I don't have forwarded on my home computer (server). I emailed my schools IP and asked them to open it for me, that should take care of this, but if they won't, I want to do this, can someone explain what I should do?

bread's done
Back