Voice Chat Options

Ragnorok64

CAGiversary!
Feedback
8 (100%)
We've been trying to get voice chat going for our online games. We've tried Ventrillo, Teamspeak, and Mumble but we can never get any of them to work. I don't know if it's a port forwarding issue or what.

Thus far we've used Steam chat and once a series of gtalk sessions.

What voice chat options d you guys use and are there any good tuorials that you can direct me to?

I figured Skype would be comparitively heavy in ram usage compared to other options. The comparisons I've seen peg Mumble as being the best overall I just want to get one working. We may give Skype a shot ,though.

When I need to talk during a game that doesn't have a voice chat built in, I usually host a Vent server myself (Which allows up to like 5 or 7 people.). In order to get it working there is some port forwarding required on the firewall of whoever hosts the server. Those ports I forward are 3784 (TCP & UDP) and 6100 (UDP). Then I just grab my external IP address to give out to them, which can be obtained here: http://www.ventrilo.com/myip.php

Depending on the size of the group I use the following:

Skype - 2 to 3 people.

Ventrillo - 4 to 10 people...

I know Ventrillo can handle more and I have use it for more people but it gets wonky from time to time.

Video And Voice Chat - 10 and more...This is a browser based voice program with webcam features inbuilt. It handles large groups very well. You can make your own room with a psswd and then dictate how it allows voice.

[quote name='dabamus']http://www.xfire.com/about_pro_voice/

Simple and free. I'm shocked nobody has mentioned it yet.[/QUOTE]

It's great for two people but I remember it being a snag fest when more than 3 people used it. Is it better now?

BTW - All those listed above are also free.

Last edited:
Ok. I haven't tried it, but I hadn't heard anything bad about it.

It's at the very least an option to consider.

[quote name='kamui34']I can vouch for Xfire. Good stuff but I'm using Vent these days...[/QUOTE]

You've used it recently with more than 2 people with no problem?

[quote name='Megazell']You've used it recently with more than 2 people with no problem?[/QUOTE]

Considering in his sig it says he has 773 hours of EVE, I have to imagine he has!

Two of us used Skype while playing borderlands. It worked very well. What's the maximum amount of people Skype can support in one call?

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']Considering in his sig it says he has 773 hours of EVE, I have to imagine he has![/QUOTE]

I have sigs disabled on all forums I hit. What does EVE have to do with verifying Xfire's ability to handle large chat sessions?

bread's done
Back