Vtech Innotab or Leappad?

aspen1284

CAGiversary!
Feedback
15 (100%)
Technically this is video game related since they both play...well, games! Any deals our there? Looking to buy for my 3 year old and the $90 or so price tag is a hard pill to swallow.

Here is a link to help you decide.

You can go on YouTube and watch videos and see them both in action, the wife and I had this discussion last month. We ultimately went with the Innotab after watching various videos and figured it would suit our daughter the best. I did end up buying the LeapPad only because I got a great deal ($55) on Black Friday, also because I ordered the Leapster 2 on TRU.com and figured for $30 more it would be a great upgrade. I will give two pluses to the LeapPad over the Innotab. One, it is backwards compatible to Leapster Explorer Software. Two, it has a Mic and Camera. The LeapPad is $20 more and essentially the same thing but like I said after watching various videos we went with the Innotab.

I have no idea why the LeapPad is selling like crazy so if you are planning on getting one, good luck. I know they are selling like crazy here in California and I was fortunate to find one at Barns & Noble when I wasn't even looking for one.

My daughters have the leapad and I've seen the innotab, the leapad is of a much higher build quality. It can take a good beating and both my 2 and 4 yr old play with it a ton. My 2 year old loves the drawing program that comes with it. The software is pretty disappointing IMO for the leapad. It uses the same cartridges as the normal leapster explorer, which means the game are not optimized for the system, at least as far as I know. They are also pretty expensive, although there are frequent deals for them.

Honestly, I think you are far better off spending a little more and getting an 8 gb iPod touch. Sure, it costs more up front, but the software is way cheaper, usually at a buck, cannot be lost(unlike a cartridge), and there are way more games. My kids like their leapads but absolutely LOVE the iPod touch.

We bought our 2yr old son the Leapster 2 at TRU when they had it for $24. I was considering the innotab based on user reviews that it's actually easier for the kids to use, but TRU had better prices on the leapster learning programs and a better selection.

I was originally leaning towards the Leappad more simply because Leap Frog seems to be the better brand. Then I took my daughter to Best Buy (on one of my trade-in trips) and she just wouldnt leave the Innotab alone. Not to mention, it SEEMS like the Innotab is geared a little bit more towards younger children (my daughter is only 3). Either way, Im kicking myself so hard right now for not even knowing about the Black Friday deals that were out there for these!

bread's done
Back