VVVVVV for free - charity Ebay bid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimlad

CAG Veteran
There's currently a charity promotion, where if you bid on a pair of socks you get the indie PC game VVVVVV for free on Steam, even if you don't win the auction! The bidding ends in over a week, but get in quick if you don't want to end up as the one with the hot potato on the last day.

All proceeds go to the Child's Play charity. Keys will be sent to bidders when bidding closes.

Blog post:
http://distractionware.com/blog/?p=1501

Ebay link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300491205217

Last edited by a moderator:
Just bid 2475.00 for socks. Don't have half that much in the bank right now LOL. Luckily it took about 10 seconds to be outbid.

Thank God they have free shipping!

This game looks really bad LOL. I don't even think it's worth the stress for the 2 minutes of agony that you have to go through as the high bidder!

I'm worried about how this will end. It seems like everybody bids on the assumption they'll be immediately outbid, which is a dangerous cycle. Someone is eventually going to have to live up to the final bid, but will they really be able to? This thing could easily top $10,000 at this rate.

[quote name='Harthan']I'm worried about how this will end. It seems like everybody bids on the assumption they'll be immediately outbid, which is a dangerous cycle. Someone is eventually going to have to live up to the final bid, but will they really be able to? This thing could easily top $10,000 at this rate.[/QUOTE]

LOL, I guess that final bidder will have to make the determination if they want to pay or not..

eBay does not allow a seller to leave negative feedback. The only thing eBay could do to you is either give you a negative mark on your account that would fall off in like 60 days. Or... They can ban you on eBay.

But if someone doesn't want to pay, it's not like they can make you.

I guess they can take you to court, but the seller would have to go through the legal mumbo jumbo.

[quote name='DizoAZ']LOL, I guess that final bidder will have to make the determination if they want to pay or not..

eBay does not allow a seller to leave negative feedback. The only thing eBay could do to you is either give you a negative mark on your account that would fall off in like 60 days. Or... They can ban you on eBay.

But if someone doesn't want to pay, it's not like they can make you.[/QUOTE]

It just seems unfortunate that the charity will be the ultimate loser.

But, I guess I can't complain without becoming a hypocrite, given that I've already bid.

Yeah, eBay's new policies put all the power in the buyer's hands. Unfortunately, as someone that has sold many expensive items on eBay, I can tell you that it makes the situation extremely hard on sellers. I cannot tell you how often I get deadbeat bidders, and eBay refuses to do anything substantial.

I digress, though. Whatever the case may be, at least eBay's a good venue for this charity auction.

Yeah it would be really unfortunate if it gets to like 10k or higher and someone was actually willing to give $1000 for the charity...

That means the seller would have to 2nd chance offer hundreds of people until someone is willing to pay.

I'll tell you this much: If this all works out OK, and I get a copy of VVVVVV for Steam, then I'm donating $5 (the Steam price of VVVVVV) to Child's Play, and I will encourage others to do the same.

It's easy to forget the First Rule of Internet Ethics: It's only OK for you to do something if you're OK with thousands of people doing the same thing immediately afterward.

[quote name='EliotAndrews']Yeah, eBay's new policies put all the power in the buyer's hands. Unfortunately, as someone that has sold many expensive items on eBay, I can tell you that it makes the situation extremely hard on sellers. I cannot tell you how often I get deadbeat bidders, and eBay refuses to do anything substantial.

I digress, though. Whatever the case may be, at least eBay's a good venue for this charity auction.[/QUOTE]

The winner could probably pay, get the socks, then open a dispute saying "the socks were damaged" and probably win :D

The whole auction is a fail now. Its a shame because the designers heart was in the right place when he decided to give bidders the game free. Ebay should close the auction down before it gets any more out of hand.

I'm pretty sure that if the people who bid higher then you refuse to pay up it then becomes your responsibility to pay. So just because people bid higher then you, you may also at one point be asked to pay up.

[quote name='digital ink']The whole auction is a fail now. Its a shame because the designers heart was in the right place when he decided to give bidders the game free. Ebay should close the auction down before it gets any more out of hand.[/QUOTE]
I don't know, man. I'm sure that Terry Cavanagh doesn't want to go back on his generous offer, but if they started the auction over with a clean slate, it's hard to imagine that the same thing wouldn't just happen again.

I will reiterate: This is a fucking mess.

[quote name='digital ink']The whole auction is a fail now. Its a shame because the designers heart was in the right place when he decided to give bidders the game free. Ebay should close the auction down before it gets any more out of hand.

I'm pretty sure that if the people who bid higher then you refuse to pay up it then becomes your responsibility to pay. So just because people bid higher then you, you may also at one point be asked to pay up.[/QUOTE]
If you lose an auction and the highest bidder doesn't pay... none of the other bidders are ever obligated to pay. The seller can give one (or more) the option to pay their highest bid (second chance offer), but there is no obligation.

Here's a demo of the game (it's just flash, so you don't need to download anything)

http://www.kongregate.com/games/TerryCavanagh/vvvvvv-demo

Game came out for $15 originally, but when it went Steam-bound, the price was only $5. Still a great price for this game. It's interesting how a $5 game has turned into this wreck of an auction. Not that I'm saying I'm any better, as I also bid, but it's interesting nonetheless.

You know.. it's just a 5$ game.. you probably have a VERY slim chance of winning this bid war, but why even risk it? It's not worth it if you ask me. I'll be sleeping sound tonight, you guys will be thinking about whether or not people will cancel last minute and slap you with some very expensive socks.

[quote name='mokmoof']I'll tell you this much: If this all works out OK, and I get a copy of VVVVVV for Steam, then I'm donating $5 (the Steam price of VVVVVV) to Child's Play, and I will encourage others to do the same.

It's easy to forget the First Rule of Internet Ethics: It's only OK for you to do something if you're OK with thousands of people doing the same thing immediately afterward.[/QUOTE]
Dude, you're an inspiration to us all. I was shocked to hear people pirated the Humble Indie Bundle, and it's actions like that that give "game players" such a horrible reputation of anti-social behavior. (Anonymity does do some odd things to people.)

You, my friend, have the right idea. I will follow suit; If VVVVVV finds its way to my Steam account, I, too, will make a donation.

[quote name='IronZombie']You know.. it's just a 5$ game.. you probably have a VERY slim chance of winning this bid war, but why even risk it? It's not worth it if you ask me. I'll be sleeping sound tonight, you guys will be thinking about whether or not people will cancel last minute and slap you with some very expensive socks.[/QUOTE]
I'm sure by the time Day 7 hits, only the serious bidders will be left.

[quote name='EliotAndrews']I will follow suit; If VVVVVV finds its way to my Steam account, I, too, will make a donation.[/QUOTE]
Just seems like a good way to make this rather awful situation into something constructive. If half of the current 302 bidders did what we're describing, then that would be $755 for a good cause.

[quote name='EliotAndrews']I'm sure by the time Day 7 hits, only the serious bidders will be left.[/QUOTE]
That's just the trouble: By driving the bids up to $3,500, we've probably priced the great majority of serious bidders out of the market.

[quote name='mokmoof']I'll tell you this much: If this all works out OK, and I get a copy of VVVVVV for Steam, then I'm donating $5 (the Steam price of VVVVVV) to Child's Play, and I will encourage others to do the same.

It's easy to forget the First Rule of Internet Ethics: It's only OK for you to do something if you're OK with thousands of people doing the same thing immediately afterward.[/QUOTE]

I was already planning on it. My plan was to donate $5 to the seller of the socks if the item winner didn't pay for the socks. I would have been willing to swallow some $750 socks to if I absolutely had to, but I knew it wouldn't come to that. I really hope the final bidder is serious about paying, but I doubt that will happen now that it has hit the price it has.

[quote name='GaveUpTomorrow']I was already planning on it. My plan was to donate $5 to the seller of the socks if the item winner didn't pay for the socks. I would have been willing to swallow some $750 socks to if I absolutely had to, but I knew it wouldn't come to that. I really hope the final bidder is serious about paying, but I doubt that will happen now that it has hit the price it has.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I was thinking seriously about buying $420 socks--that was this morning--if it came to that. But you're right: We're way beyond the point of no return here.

Did it for the sake of charity. In the end, we aren't the only ones bidding. Donations are great for tax season, and there's a lot of people looking forward to that. I'm 3800.

if i won i couldnt pay for it

I am current high bidder at 4,050 so i hope i get outbid by a rich guy

because if i win i will have really bad feedback :)

[quote name='bredbu']if i won i couldnt pay for it

I am current high bidder at 4,050 so i hope i get outbid by a rich guy

because if i win i will have really bad feedback :)[/QUOTE]

People that can not afford it should not be bidding on it. I am sorry but this is not some random person, this is the creator of the game trying to raise money for CHARITY. If you can not afford it, do not bid....its just the honorable thing to do. I mean seriously this is cheapassgamer not slickdeals.....have some respect guys.

[quote name='NinjaGuerra']For the love of god somebody outbid me please!!!!![/QUOTE]
:) i literally laughed out loud when i read this thats how i felt before you outbid me

[quote name='bredbu']i just looked @ a preview for this game and i think it looks horrible im glad i was outbid already[/QUOTE]

....and you bid without even knowing what it ways...you just heard free and jumped...sigh.

[quote name='MSI Magus']....and you bid without even knowing what it ways...you just heard free and jumped...sigh.[/QUOTE]

I get it man you hate me. I dont want to argue though

[quote name='NinjaGuerra']How long am I going to have this 4150 dollar tab?!?!?!

I can't afford this shit! AHHHHHHHHHH fuck fuck fuck AAAHHHHHHHHHH[/QUOTE]

lol i see you created a slickdeals page for it

Lol impressive =P

You truly are a cheap ass gamer xD Just like me =P

But seriously i can't have this on my head, if i don't get outbid by tonight im gonna have nightmares xD

LOL guys if you're willing to fake bid $4150 and fear of having to pay it why not just buy it for $5 on steam? I would've been in if it was under $100 but I cant risk this...

Jesus. At the current price ($4,150) it almost seems like playing Russian roulette with 3 bullets in the chamber. Do I pull the trigger? There's seven days left ... I hope this game's worth 4k+. Oh, and I'd get free socks too. Bonus.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back