Wait is MGS4 a PS3 Timed Exclusive?

Furashu

CAGiversary!
Feedback
16 (100%)
im so friggen confused, at E3 M$ said theyd have halo3, gta4,mgs4 ready for xmas. then im reading on the web that MGS4 is a timed exclusive and wont be on the 360 for a year. whats the truth?

IMO it probably will be ported unless PS3's install base soars in the near future, but for now, officially, it's a PS3 exclusive.

MS never said MGS 4 would be on the 360 that I've seen.

All the announcements are that it's exclusive.

The assumption is that the second version (ala substance) will probably be on 360. Technically MGS4 is still exclusive because the substance is a new game which would come out for both. Of course I may have missed something in the past day, but only the sony haters (who are rampant on the PS3 board here) claim to know it isn't exclusive.

PS3 exclusive, microsoft didn't mention mgs at all. And Kojima's speech was that it was finally the last mgs, his very best and would be exclusive on the ps3.

[quote name='panasonic']PS3 exclusive, microsoft didn't mention mgs at all. And Kojima's speech was that it was finally the last mgs, his very best and would be exclusive on the ps3.[/QUOTE]
Kojima never said it was exclusive to the PS3.

Kojima was being translated, and in front of an audience who doesn't speak what he speaks, it looked like he kept his speech brief.

PS3 exclusivity is widely reported from e3. But this was the most exciting part-
simrel.jpg

The English voice overs are well underway as seen in the footage, meaning we won't have to wait for a translation as that could have put off the US release for many months.

[quote name='CouRageouS']PS3 exclusivity is widely reported from e3. But this was the most exciting part-
simrel.jpg

The English voice overs are well underway as seen in the footage, meaning we won't have to wait for a translation as that could have put off the US release for many months.[/QUOTE]
That doesn't really mean much besides it will be released in all regions at the same time, hence the "simultaneous worldwide release"

[quote name='zewone']And how do you know this?[/QUOTE]

If you play Kojima's speech at the Sony press conference backwards at .5x speed,
you can hear him say "MGS4 is PS3 Exclusive desu." Also, Sony's conference syncs PERFECTLY with Dark Side of the Moon.

[quote name='Thomas96']even if it goes to 360 by the time that happens, it'll be in the 19.99 bin for ps3.[/QUOTE]
You think that matters to people who only spent $400 on a console instead of $600?

[quote name='CouRageouS']PS3 exclusivity is widely reported from e3. But this was the most exciting part-
simrel.jpg

The English voice overs are well underway as seen in the footage, meaning we won't have to wait for a translation as that could have put off the US release for many months.[/QUOTE]
Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3 both got a US release before Japan and Europe

[quote name='62t']Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3 both got a US release before Japan and Europe[/quote]Hehe, yeah. It's other regions who should be celebrating.

[quote name='zewone']You think that matters to people who only spent $400 on a console instead of $600?[/quote]

New owner will spent $499 plus free 5 blu ray from amazon~ MGS4 will be exclusive~ just give up! :lol:

[quote name='62t']Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3 both got a US release before Japan and Europe[/QUOTE]

But I think MGS3: Subsistence came out in Dec in Japan, and didn't hit US until the following Spring.

I'd say Euro gamers benefit the most from this announcement though. They always get shafted on release dates.

[quote name='dpatel']But I think MGS3: Subsistence came out in Dec in Japan, and didn't hit US until the following Spring.

I'd say Euro gamers benefit the most from this announcement though. They always get shafted on release dates.[/QUOTE]
I bet Konami will figure out a way to screw over the Euros.

I wouldn't be surprised. Sony didn't think Europe was apart of their worldwide release, so maybe Konami will do the same.

Sony already has a timed exclusive at the very least. That's probably why Sony won't pay a dime to get it fully exclusive. Look at Bioshock, supposedly exclusive but quite a few people still believe it's possible to come to the PS3 since it's not published by Microsoft, and it's certainly possible. Enchanted Arms 360 press release said flat out exclusive and had the only on 360 stamp on the case, it went to PS3. MGS4, Bioshock, Ace Combat, Eternal Sonata, etc. can all go to other consoles and some people will wait 6 months, a year, or more thinking it will.

No point in Sony paying a dime towards MGS4, people will continue to believe it will one day go to 360 (which IMO it will someday probably). I also believe Bioshock and Eternal Sonata have a chance too. Some people believe PS3 will get it's own exclusive content for GTA4 (which I think is false but that's good for Sony). Sony has more important things to spend money on than making MGS4 platform exclusive. They pretty much have a timed exclusive for free.

Kojima said himself, he isn't putting it on 360. If the game ever ends up on another platform, Kojima isn't doing it himself. From what I gather, the Konami America and Europe wants it to happen, but Kojima Productions does not (and Kojima Productions has more say than they do, because they are in Japan). Kojima said himself PS3 is needed to make his vision come alive (with a 50GB blu-ray disc).

Also, remember before, Xbots badly wanted MGS2 on their platform, yet next to none of them bought Substance. Xbots wouldn't buy MGS, they like that shit called Splinter Cell.

[quote name='zewone']You think that matters to people who only spent $400 on a console instead of $600?[/QUOTE]

From a hardware perspective, the $500 PS3 is a much better deal right now than the $400 360 premium. For $100 you get 40GB more, wifi, HDMI, blu-ray, and better reliability. Some people may or may not care for those things, but the cost is very close to each other right now. Pay for 360 online and the cost is almost identical.

I think people's issue is the PS3 costs more but 360 has in most cases slightly better running games. 360 has more games from being out a year longer, but in a year or two when pretty much every PS3 game runs the same as the 360 version and PS3 is getting the same games then it becomes a hardware issue. Who's hardware is cheaper, is MS published games better than Sony published games, etc. MS is almost at 2 years with no price drop and still has questionable reliability, PS3 is the better hardware value currently.

What MS is waiting for is beyond me, they could almost put Sony away just with a $100 price drop, getting MGS4 on the 360 is small potatoes compared to a $100 price drop. They're just buying Sony and Nintendo some time.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Also, remember before, Xbots badly wanted MGS2 on their platform, yet next to none of them bought Substance. [/QUOTE]
Maybe because it was a shitty port and years too late. Also "Xbots" reeks of GameFAQs, fyi.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Also, remember before, Xbots badly wanted MGS2 on their platform, yet next to none of them bought Substance. Xbots wouldn't buy MGS, they like that shit called Splinter Cell.[/quote]

Why is it acceptable for you to suck Kojima's nuts over Metal Gear and bash Splinter Cell? Splinter Cell's multiplayer wipes the floor with Metal Gear's. Oh wait. You can't play Metal Gear online anymore.

mgs4 on the XBOX 360 is like Gears of war and Halo 3 on PS3 this not going to happen
Mgs started on PSone and will dead on PS3
and halo started on XBOX and dead on XBOX 360
GOW started on XBOX 360 and will dead on the next XBOX or the next XBOX after that

ps.there will be a price cut for XMAS for 360

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Random Fanboy Nonsense[/QUOTE]

Do you ever bother posting something that isn't the equivelant of sucking Sony's collective nutsack anymore?

[quote name='starmask2k3']mgs4 on the XBOX 360 is like Gears of war and Halo 3 on PS3 [/QUOTE]

Not really sure about this. I mean Halo and GoW are published by microsoft. MGS is third party. And I could be wrong but I don't think MGS sells nearly as well as Halo to the mainstream crowd.

[quote name='starmask2k3']mgs4 on the XBOX 360 is like Gears of war and Halo 3 on PS3 this not going to happen
GOW started on XBOX 360 and will dead on the next XBOX or the next XBOX after that

ps.there will be a price cut for XMAS for 360[/QUOTE]

wow so many inaccuracies

first you prob said mgs2 wouldnt be ported to xbox, whoops. Konami goes where the money is, so if they feel that its under performing on the ps3 you better believe it will be mgs4 substantial edition coming out

metal gear series didnt start on the ps1 it started on the MSX2 and the NES, released on the same year. The series will die when Konami says it aint making any more money, even without Kojima it will go on.

Halo actually started on the PC and it was delayed/transferred to the xbox and saying that it will die this gen and GOW this gen or next is really irrelevant. Its like me proving you wrong and then talking about potato salad. Just has no point.

You're right. Metal Gear Solid doesn't sell well. I think it's partially because people are always waiting for the revision. By the time Subsistence came out, the hype for MGS4 was getting out of control. That's not even mentioning the crazy ass story lines in the Metal Gear series. At least in Halo, it's about saving the galaxy. I still can't explain what Metal Gear Solid 2 was about.

^^^^
MGS storyline>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Halo storyline

anyways, i'm remaining hopeful that MGS4 will get to the 360
if it doesn't, i may find myself having to purchase a PS3 :mad:

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Kojima said himself, he isn't putting it on 360.[/quote]
And Shinji Mikami said that he would cut his fucking head off if Resident Evil 4 was ever ported to any system other than Gamecube. His head is still attached. A game developer's word stands for less and less these days.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']If the game ever ends up on another platform, Kojima isn't doing it himself. From what I gather, the Konami America and Europe wants it to happen, but Kojima Productions does not (and Kojima Productions has more say than they do, because they are in Japan). Kojima said himself PS3 is needed to make his vision come alive (with a 50GB blu-ray disc).[/quote]
Wrong wrong wrong wrong and fucking wrong.

So, let's say they decide to put it on 360. Why would Kojima need to be involved in this? Seriously, he's really not even the most important person on the project to begin with. Shuyo Murata is. So, again, after the PS3 version is complete, yeah, he's done with it one way or another. But as I stated, they don't need him presiding over doing a port.

Moving on. Regarding Kojima Productions: Why do people keep talking about them as if they're a separate company/entity from Konami? They aren't. They aren't even an actual "division" of Konami, in business terms. "Kojima Productions" is simply the name of the specific development team within Konami Computer Entertainment Japan that Kojima is in charge of. Nothing more. You saying "Konami America and Europe wants it to happen, but Kojima Productions does not" makes no sense, because Konami and Kojima Productions are basically the exact same thing. Kojima Productions is about as separate from Konami as the kitchen is from the register at Burger King.

Also, in case you don't know, America is probably the first thing on the Konami suits' minds regarding Metal Gear Solid, as the series is way more popular and lucrative in the USA than it is in Japan. It stands to reason that they're going to damn well consider what would be best for the American market for the game.

And lastly, as I'm explained 8 fucking billion times in the past, Blu-Ray does NOT allow developers to do anything new. Any time they say otherwise, it's pure hype bullshit. Blu-ray only allows them to store the exact same stuff, but with less disc-swapping. Anything they can put on a Blu-ray disc, can be put on one or more Xbox 360 DVDs. Blu-Ray itself doesn't provide for better graphics or more content; it only has the potential to be slightly more convenient. Nothing more.

And shit, dude. Yeah, a single Blu-ray can hold 50 gigs, whatever. That's all fine and good, but thanks to the PS3's stupid, stupid, stupid rigid RAM structure, they can never have more than 256 megabytes of graphics assets (including all polygon meshes, textures, bumpmaps, etc) on-screen at any given instant. The 360 has a dynamic RAM architecture, allowing developers to re-allocate anywhere from basically 0 to ~500 megs of RAM to graphics on the fly, depending on how much is needed for everything else. This flexibility is key to the 360's graphics capabilities, and makes things much easier on developers.

Oh, and just to make it clear, I DON'T think that I can "prove" whether MGS4 will be on 360 or not. I can't, and neither can anyone else. I do think that there is more logical evidence pointing to it happening eventually than not, though. But regardless, scientifically, it's impossible to prove anything in the negative, so to anyone trying to "prove" that it's impossible for it to come to 360 needs to stop trying to break science.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Also, remember before, Xbots badly wanted MGS2 on their platform, yet next to none of them bought Substance. Xbots wouldn't buy MGS, they like that shit called Splinter Cell.[/QUOTE]
Do you, or do you not realize how much stupider you become, every fucking time you say "Xbots"?

It WILL be on the Xbox 360, just not right away, and not this year.

No it's not offical, but anyone with at least half a brain should know that. Sadly Sony fanboys, cough Mana cough, don't even have that much.

It was pretty god damn clear it's PS3 exclusive in NO uncertain terms.
Haze and UT3 were both proceeded with "this Christmas."

If the PS3 version doesn't sell well or fails to shift units, I can see a later release on the 360, or even the better re-release (a la "Subsistence") going multi-platform, maybe not immediately, but eventually. Right now, it's PS3 exclusive, but unless a game is first party, never say never.

[quote name='M3wThr33']It was pretty god damn clear it's PS3 exclusive in NO uncertain terms.[/QUOTE]
Uh, I hate to repeat myself a mere 3 posts later, but if Shinji Mikami promising that he would decapitate himself if RE4 wound up ported to anything else isn't "NO uncertain terms," then I don't know what is.

On June 6th, Ryoji Chubachi, the president of Sony Corporation, made it perfectly clear and in "NO uncertain terms" stated they they had no plans for a PS3 price drop. Three days later, the price drops.

Their word isn't evidence enough to prove something in the negative (ie, that something won't happen).

[quote name='RESmonkey']Hell no. It's Sony's 'Halo.'[/quote]
Gran Turismo is Sony's Halo. It sells at least as well as Halo, if not even better.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Gran Turismo is Sony's Halo. It sells at least as well as Halo, if not even better.[/quote]

Really? I would have gone to a Final Fantasy if no MGS, but a racing game?

*Sorry, I'm coming from a gaming background of owning a PS1 with 3 games to an Xbox then to a PS3.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Gran Turismo is Sony's Halo. It sells at least as well as Halo, if not even better.[/QUOTE]
Gran Turismo 3 alone outsold both Halo and Halo 2 combined.

Halo may be hugely popular, but Gran Turismo is on a whole 'nother level. 40+ million units, versus Halo's 15 mil. That speaks for itself.

[quote name='RESmonkey']Really? I would have gone to a Final Fantasy if no MGS, but a racing game?

*Sorry, I'm coming from a gaming background of owning a PS1 with 3 games to an Xbox then to a PS3.[/quote]
Yeah, GT3 was the big killer app for the PS2 the summer after it came out and sold insanely well, something like 14-ish million around the world, and pretty much equalled the sales of both Halos. GT4 didn't do that well, but sold around 8 million, maybe a little more than both Halos.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Gran Turismo 3 alone outsold both Halo and Halo 2 combined.

Halo may be hugely popular, but Gran Turismo is on a whole 'nother level. 40+ million units, versus Halo's 15 mil. That speaks for itself.[/quote]
True, but for how many Xboxs are out there, it's impressive.

[quote name='starmask2k3']mgs4 on the XBOX 360 is like Gears of war and Halo 3 on PS3 this not going to happen

ps.there will be a price cut for XMAS for 360[/QUOTE]

Uhh....yeah.
So why is there a Metal Gear for Game Cube?
So why is there a Metal Gear for Xbox?
So why is there a Metal Gear for Gameboy Advance?

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Yeah, GT3 was the big killer app for the PS2 the summer after it came out and sold insanely well, something like 14-ish million around the world, and pretty much equalled the sales of both Halos.[/quote]
Aside from there being a slight echo in here (no offense ;)), your post kind of contradicts itself, specifically, the following bit (so, both the Halos sold both around 14 million total, and less than 8 million? TIME PARADOX.):
(EDIT: Oh, did you mean that GT4 outsold each Halo individually, maybe? Cause that would be true.)

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']GT4 didn't do that well, but sold around 8 million, maybe a little more than both Halos.[/QUOTE]
The two Halos combined have sold about 14.5 million copies, so, GT4 is waaaay short. Barely even halfway there. GT3, however, outsold the Halos combined by several hundred thousand copies.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']True, but for how many Xboxs are out there, it's impressive.[/quote]
Agreed. The penetration rate (lolz), that is, the percentage of Xbox owners who own one or both Halos, is outstanding. About 25% of everyone that has an Xbox, has a Halo game, but only about 12% of PS2 owners have GT3.

[quote name='M3wThr33']It was pretty god damn clear it's PS3 exclusive in NO uncertain terms.
Haze and UT3 were both proceeded with "this Christmas."[/quote]

Mana? is that you? It's not? Scary that there is more than one ignorant person here.

Like someone else said the Gamecube was going to get 5 excluives including RE4. How many of those five turned out to be exclusive? Zero. Same will happen with MGS4.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Gran Turismo 3 alone outsold both Halo and Halo 2 combined.

Halo may be hugely popular, but Gran Turismo is on a whole 'nother level. 40+ million units, versus Halo's 15 mil. That speaks for itself.[/quote]

Duh....

If the PS2 sold 100 million and the Xbox sold 30 million than of course Sony games would sell more. Let's just wait and see how it sells this generation.

bread's done
Back