Waiting to hear back about University

saadman

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
So I'm currently in a serious crossroads in life. I applied to get my MBA at two universities ($200 per application). Last week, one of the universities notified me...by e-mail no less that they cannot offer me acceptance (which I thought was rather petty). I have yet to hear from the other university, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. However, it has become extremely nerve racking. Everyday I come home from work for lunch and check the mail, if no mail from the university then I pray that I don't receive an e-mail from them for the rest of the day.

I currently have a decent entry level job as a financial development coordinator, but I'm really putting my eggs in the basket for the MBA program. I know it could alter my life, career etc... in gigantic ways. If I don't get accepted......well I'm not sure where I go now. My future is very much so in limbo right now and it's kind of a scary feeling as I've never been in this situation before.

Thoughts?

You could try applying to other universities.

Applying to only two universities wasn't really a good idea, since it is such a small pool size, but then again you are probably only looking at local universities.

I know how you feel, too, man, since I am a senior in high school, and everyday I look through my email and mail, my heart starts racing. You just gotta play it cool and have faith that you will be accepted.

You need to apply to more, especially with grad programs, there's no telling how acceptances work with most schools. If you don't get in try to look at the applications you sent and think about what could improve it (I don't know what MBA programs look for, but probably a combination of experience and creativity), and try to do things over the next six months that will fill in gaps to apply next year.

One way to boost your application may be to take a business class or two at a community college nearby (something missing from what you already have) and really ace it and talk to the prof a lot so they get to know you and can write a really good letter for next year. A lot of the people teaching at community colleges will be happy to help someone who is really interested and may have useful connections with the larger universities.

To get into the program you want, it really helps to call the department ahead of your application and set up a tour of the program. It shows you are serious and it will make you stand out when they are weeding down applications. It is much easier to deny a student that you don't know.

The one issue I had was it's so expensive to apply. I would have loved to apply to several more universities, however I couldn't afford it. My marks were decent enough, but I also busted my ass in between school to get relevant work experience that would also look good on the application. They look at previous marks, plus a resume and intent letter you need to send in. So where I may slightly lack in marks, I definitely make up in the real world work experience I had. I'm hoping that makes the difference.

I know what that's like. I applied to the largest University in the state to pursue a Masters. I was originally denied because of a lackluster GPA. I ended up making a bet with the graduate coordinator of the program that I couldn't get certain grades in a few of the department's most difficult classes. It was an awesome feeling when I sat in his office and watched him admit me to the graduate school. The feelings leading up to that point sucked. I'd stay awake asking myself if I'm really cut out for this. The point that I decided that even if I wasn't good enough I'd go down swinging is the point that really pushed me forward.

Also, I was informed by my school's student services to my face that I was denied for admission. I honestly would have preferred the e-mail. ;)

happy pretty much summed the best course of action IMO, but there's a lot of good advice here from everyone. Take a few classes and ace them. You can usually call and ask the graduate coordinator or someone in the department what classes they like to see on a transcript. That's more or less how I ended making the bet with that cocky graduate coordinator.

Just don't give up hope, and don't think you're not capable just because a group of people who potentially don't even remember what it's like outside academia says you're not capable. If you want more advice or to vent, you might try talking to a few people over at the Ph.D. Comics forum. Most of them are graduate students who've been where you've been.

Best of luck to you friend!

Thoughts?

There are more than 2 universities in the world, so apply to more if you get denied. If you strike out in your region, then readjust your standards and contemplate whether you are willing to move away.

and yeah, applying to schools is nerve destroying, expensive, and time consuming, but you've gotta apply to a lot of places to ensure that you get in. You're making it sound like the reason you aren't applying is because the apps were $200, but this is one of those things that's worth going in the hole for.

bread's done
Back