Wal*Mart - GBmicro -$29 ($19?)/GCN -$49 - New - Shouldn't be YMMV, depending on stock

UncleBob

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
I know we have a Wal*Mart thread, but this is a pretty good deal. Depending on if your Wal*Mart has any left in stock... The Game Boy micro received a price drop down to $29.00 and the GameCube received a drop down to $49.00.

Again, these are Home Office price changes, not store initiated mark downs...

Game Boy micro now showing up at $19?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='VioletArrows']Is there really a point to those, or are they now strictly a collector's item?[/QUOTE]

They're the smallest handheld out there, but that's about the only advantage to it. It doesn't play original Gameboy/Gameboy Color games and holding one is practically a challenge in and of itself (trying to use a game that makes extensive use of the triggers like Megaman Zero or Metroid Fusion is a chore). But it's small enough to fit in most cell phone pockets, if you really need a handheld that takes up almost no space.

i've been looking for deals on gameboy micros, problem is i can't find any stores that actually have them in stock. I haven't actually seen one of these in a Wal-Mart since they were $90.

I don't see why people have problems with GB Micro unless they have huge gorilla-hands or very bad eyesight =\ I honestly prefer using my GB Micro over the regular GBA & SP ever since I bought it for $100 on launch date. I don't even give a crap about not being able to play GB & GBC games - cart sticking out of the system is bad enough, not to mention most of the games haven't aged well &/or way better sequels on GBA + DS.

[quote name='Shady3011']I'd be glad to pay cost+shipping+a little extra if anyone can pick up a GB Micro for me.[/QUOTE]

Ditto. I'd prefer a silver if anyone can find one.

Keep in mind, if you're extra lucky....

These GameBoy micros that are still sitting around in stores are mostly left overs from the Wal*Mart Day After Thanksgiving sale two turkey days ago.

What this means is that some stores still have silver... still have black... and if you're really, really, really lucky... the "maroon" Famicom editions. ;)

[quote name='letsgetacid']Man, is there any way to do an online search for these or is it strictly search in a B&M?[/quote]

I did a search both on www.walmart.com and Google and all I came up was with nothing. I found a page, but it said out of stock online and not carried in stores.

Anyone have any other ideas?

These are awesome, wish my WalMart had some. Seriously, give the GBM a chance. Got mine on clearence at Sears for $35 and it was worth every penny.

[quote name='irishsoccermbw']Already have a DS and PSP, dont see when I would use one but this is a great deal!!![/quote]

GB micros aren't good at all. Nintendo dropped the backwards compatibility for a smaller setup, meaning that like the DS, you cannot play any GBC or GB games on them. Why bother having a tiny system that has the same functionality as a DS, but doesn't have the shell casing and touch screen?

If it was for a GBA SP, however...

anyone know the UPC of the Micro? Walmart can check other locations but only with the UPC. Anyone who purchased their micro from walmart please post the UPC so as to make the hunt for a system only slightly painful. Thank you

[quote name='Blade']GB micros aren't good at all. Nintendo dropped the backwards compatibility for a smaller setup, meaning that like the DS, you cannot play any GBC or GB games on them. Why bother having a tiny system that has the same functionality as a DS, but doesn't have the shell casing and touch screen?

If it was for a GBA SP, however...[/quote]

Not good at all? I'd easily take a Micro over a DS if someone was offering... (or take the DS, sell it, and get the Micro and have some $ left over). I bought the DS Lite, picked up some DS and GBA games and ended up hating most of the DS games. I wanted to keep my GBA games though so I picked up the Micro and sold the DS. Best decision I've made in a while. I find it much more enjoyable playing GBA games on the Micro over the DS anyways...I hated just having a screen there that was doing nothing. It felt like I had a system double the size it needed to be just to play GBA games.

If you're interested in playing GBA games anywhere, you HAVE to pick this thing up. The 8-10hr battery life is pretty impressive too for how small it is.

[quote name='sigep_ohio']anyone know the UPC of the Micro? Walmart can check other locations but only with the UPC. Anyone who purchased their micro from walmart please post the UPC so as to make the hunt for a system only slightly painful. Thank you[/QUOTE]

This isn't a fool-proof method.

If you go to a store that hasn't stocked the micro in awhile, it's not going to be in their system. When they key in the UPC, it'll pull up the information from home office, but won't assign the actual Wal*Mart item number to the item (that drops within a few days).

The Item Locater uses WM's Item Number to find the item. Since the item won't have the WMIN, it won't be able to find it in another store.

With that said, the UPC for the Famicom edition is 0.45496.71721.6

[quote name='Blade']GB micros aren't good at all. Nintendo dropped the backwards compatibility for a smaller setup, meaning that like the DS, you cannot play any GBC or GB games on them. Why bother having a tiny system that has the same functionality as a DS, but doesn't have the shell casing and touch screen?

If it was for a GBA SP, however...[/QUOTE]

Have you ever played with a micro? I have one and think it's great! It is completely pocketable, and I don't have any desire to play GB or GBC games on it anyway. The screen is beautiful.

gah, their has been 3 sitting at my Walmart (including one famicom one) for over a year, and they sold just 2 weeks ago at 49.

If it was for a GBA SP, however...[/quote]

I actually prefer the micro over the GBA SP. I gave up my SP (although I did like it could play older games) but the Micro...small, sleek looking and can easily keep it my pocket.

Sure I can play GBA games on my DS's but I like the fact that I can put it in my pants pocket. I've Used it a lot during jury duty, doctor's visits, business trips, other associates or clients thought I was texting on a small cell phone. But all in all, no regrets.

I've been dying to find a micro at a sub $50 price, but haven't seen one around me in ages. I live in a smaller market, so I don't think they usually try and unload clrearance items on us.....walmart or any othe stores for that mater......

Isn't it going to cost at least $50 to repair a GC if one busts? Any other reason to have two? I know my Wal-Mart has 2 GCs and maybe some GB Micro's in the clearance section, which means it will suprise me greatly if this is not YMMV. Kind of blows the lid off some of the Wal-Mart clearance pre-conceptions, if true, right?

Of course, how stupid is it for these Wal-Marts to let stuff rot in clearance at a few cents off retail, so maybe this is like the home office giving them a kick in the pants.

[quote name='Tesche']I've been dying to find a micro at a sub $50 price, but haven't seen one around me in ages. I live in a smaller market, so I don't think they usually try and unload clrearance items on us.....walmart or any othe stores for that mater......[/quote]

I don't think that is the way Wal-Mart works--it would have had to have been originally stocked at the store, they aren't Big Lots.

I'm gonna check my local WM but gonna doubt they will have one.

For those of you looking for cheap backup GC you can pick up a refurbished one for $30 at GS/EB pretty easy. I bought a second one just for hooking up to my pc for a quick round of fire emblem :)

[quote name='GaveUpTomorrow']Not good at all? I'd easily take a Micro over a DS if someone was offering... (or take the DS, sell it, and get the Micro and have some $ left over). I bought the DS Lite, picked up some DS and GBA games and ended up hating most of the DS games. I wanted to keep my GBA games though so I picked up the Micro and sold the DS. Best decision I've made in a while. I find it much more enjoyable playing GBA games on the Micro over the DS anyways...I hated just having a screen there that was doing nothing. It felt like I had a system double the size it needed to be just to play GBA games.

If you're interested in playing GBA games anywhere, you HAVE to pick this thing up. The 8-10hr battery life is pretty impressive too for how small it is.[/quote]

[quote name='yourlefthand']Have you ever played with a micro? I have one and think it's great! It is completely pocketable, and I don't have any desire to play GB or GBC games on it anyway. The screen is beautiful.[/quote]

[quote name='kndy']I actually prefer the micro over the GBA SP. I gave up my SP (although I did like it could play older games) but the Micro...small, sleek looking and can easily keep it my pocket.

Sure I can play GBA games on my DS's but I like the fact that I can put it in my pants pocket. I've Used it a lot during jury duty, doctor's visits, business trips, other associates or clients thought I was texting on a small cell phone. But all in all, no regrets.[/quote]

:lol: It's not a good system for people with large, powerful hands who buy baggy carpenter jeans that can easily store a DS Lite and prefer a 3-inch screen with 10 hours of battery life over the 2-inch Micro screen with 5-8 hours of battery life. How's that?

I have 2 of them (one sealed famicom edition for collecting purposes, and another with the 3 faceplates to use... I love it because it is so small, yet functional

None in Shelton or Derby, CT.

Edited to add: I'm talking about GB Micros. Shelton had several GCN at 49.00 and actually 6 or so Wiis. No Wii Fits though.

This would be great for the Final Fantasy remakes and slower paced games. I'll have to hit up my local store in search of one. I completely forgot they made the Famicom version...that would look great next to my GBA SP NES Retro! :p

My local definitely had a shit load of them. Both black and silver. Like 10 each but priced at 49.00. Couldn't locate anyone to check the price though.

If any of you guys can get one and pick me up one please let me know. Been wanting one for a while now. I almost one one in some game in the diner but i got Curb your Enthusiasm Season 3 instead. Didnt score high enough.

if anyone manages to get an extra famicom edition gameboy micro at that price i'd be glad to buy it off of you for cost+shipping+a little extra

I love mine as well although I don't use it a ton. The screen is great and it's very nice to have such a compact system, as long as you're not playing games that rely on teeny-tiny graphics (As they'll be teenier-tinier).

It's a bit of a collector's thing for me, and part usable system. I wouldn't mind picking up another one if I found one for $29...

Dang, I've wanted to revisit some of my old Gameboy games but haven't been able to find my advance. Might have to try this. I have big but delicate hands, so we'll see how it works out.

[quote name='donut']Still $59.99 at my local stores, had them scanned just in case.
YMMV....[/QUOTE]

Something's just not right at your store... they've been $49.99 company wide for quite a long time...

[quote name='UncleBob']Something's just not right at your store... they've been $49.99 company wide for quite a long time...[/quote]

The one that I was watching was also $59.99 before the drop. I had it scanned every couple weeks.

[quote name='VioletArrows']Is there really a point to those, or are they now strictly a collector's item?[/quote]

There is no point to these at all and even though I needed a GB Micro like I needed a hole in my head...I got one anyway.

I have been itching for a GB Micro. Although I totally doubt any of the Walmarts near me will have them, but I will check it out. They were a big thing in the Black Friday ads this past year.

[quote name='shouamabane']Where can I find some cheap faceplates for the micro?[/quote]

I know you can get the Faceplates from Nintendo's online store for $4.95 including the Famicom one.

bread's done
Back