Wal-Mart: Nintendo Wii U 8GB Basic Limited Edition Skylanders Swap Force Basic Set - $239.99

Well, first question: Have you owned a Wii?
Back when they first came out and had to murder someone to get one, yeah. But I sold it to my sister right before I went off for college (2010), so I didn't really get a whole lot of time with it.

From what I've gathered, Mario Kart 8/SSMB4 would be my go-to games for the system, and I'd probably grab something like Rayman right now to hold me off, but I'll admit I've only played one Zelda game in my life and have never been all that into the series. Super Mario 3D World looks neat, and I really enjoyed 3D Land on 3DS. So I'm kinda in the loop as far as games, but still looking for testimonials rather than reading some games journalists impressions on the console from a year ago.

The reason I ask if you'd had a Wii is because if you haven't, the Wii U not only nets you the Wii U's library but the entire Wii library. There's dozens of great Wii games to catch up on if you haven't owned one.

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't owned a game console in about four years (save for a 3DS XL which I recently offloaded) and this looks appealing. I was waiting for a PS3/360 to go on sale, but it seems that the emphasis in bundles is destroying any hopes of that. If I were to bite on this deal, I'd sell the Skylanders set, but I'm not really sure where I'd go from there, i.e. what I'd buy? Basically, someone sell me on this console—I've been doing some snooping around the internet trying to get a better picture of what's coming out/what is out for the Wii U, but it's easier to hear from those who own one.
Where have you been for every holiday sale? PS3/360 have been readily had with both a sale price for $199 *AND* with bundle (typically 2 AAA games).

Hardly has any games? What?

I think I already have more Wii U games than I have PS3 games and I had a PS3 since it launched. 

I think I already have more Wii U games than I have PS3 games and I had a PS3 since it launched.
This statement pretty much just means you didn't play PS3/360 enough. Unless you only own like 10 games or something.

In the end Wii-U will be worth it for Nintendo exclusives for sure, but Nintendo is taking it's sweet time getting it's stuff out - and 3rd party seems to have collapsed already. (thank goodness for a handful of really stellar 2nd party titles).

Ended up scoring this bundle on Amazon for $249.49 from a 3rd party seller fulfilled by Amazon. No tax and Prime shipping. Flipping Nintendoland and the Skylanders set will drop this well under $200 for me. Exactly what I was looking to pay for a Wii U.

Y'all screwed up not getting in on the last Cowboom 20% off sale (beginning of January)...

I got a Wii U 32GB Deluxe set for $160+tax. Free shipping. Neener.
so you scored a used console for $170ish? You do realize another human being touched your gamepad......and probably after using the restroom without washing his hands. Which of course means that in a roundabout way you touched his genitals.

so you scored a used console for $170ish? You do realize another human being touched your gamepad......and probably after using the restroom without washing his hands. Which of course means that in a roundabout way you touched his genitals.
Or her genitalia! Or her genitalia!

Aw, who am I kidding...

Its sold over 5 million units and more recently has been seeing a spike in sales. Even if they're not churning out their 1st party games quickly, I don't mind. Nintendo games have a polish and quality that the competitors can learn a thing or two from. I'd rather wait for them to get the game just right than have them release it and feel like it was rushed. Like donkey Kong.. never played a DK game before but really psyched about tropical freeze. :eek:

WUT? I guess you only like platformers with the word "Mario" in the title and enjoy no other genre.

Its sold over 5 million units and more recently has been seeing a spike in sales. Even if they're not churning out their 1st party games quickly, I don't mind. Nintendo games have a polish and quality that the competitors can learn a thing or two from. I'd rather wait for them to get the game just right than have them release it and feel like it was rushed. Like donkey Kong.. never played a DK game before but really psyched about tropical freeze. :eek:
You only own NIntendo's?

I'll admit that I bought a Wii U just for 1st party games. Nintendo games are awesome. I just ordered The Wonderful 101 from Amazon for $29.96 and it's a cross between Viewtiful Joe and Pikmin.

Damn, I wish they would announce Animal Crossing for the Wii U.  :pray:

I'll admit that I bought a Wii U just for 1st party games. Nintendo games are awesome. I just ordered The Wonderful 101 from Amazon for $29.96 and it's a cross between Viewtiful Joe and Pikmin.

Damn, I wish they would announce Animal Crossing for the Wii U. :pray:
It's only a matter of time.

Does Walmart charge tax on in store pickup orders? Or what if I had it shipped to me, still taxed? In Missouri.
Yes you will get charged tax regardless of your shipping choice. As long as the seller has a physical presence in the state you live in you have to pay tax. I am assuming you have Wal-Mart in Missouri.

Well, I went ahead and got the Skylanders bundle and The Wonderful 101. Spent around $300 including tax, hoping to turn Skylanders for at least $50.

Still very tempted by this. Been wanting a Wii U for a long time while now, but I've got to believe the Deluxe version will be closer to $200 sometime this year.

I hope....

Bit on this bundle. Picked up Wonderful 101, found a Tekken Tag on clearance at BB for 11 bucks after GCU, picked up Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper for 6 bucks after coupon at GS, new copy of MH3U, and SM3D. Splurged a little for once lol

Bit on this bundle. Picked up Wonderful 101, found a Tekken Tag on clearance at BB for 11 bucks after GCU, picked up Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper for 6 bucks after coupon at GS, new copy of MH3U, and SM3D. Splurged a little for once lol
nice! you'll be busy for awhile. I would recommend Zombiu, if your at all interested in that type of game.

Not from my experience with the game. I played and beat the game when it originally came out and I loved it. After recently rebuying the wii u, I wanted to get zombiu once again for another playthrough. It can get chaotic at times and although the controls can present a challenge, it is super fun.

Oh and you can get it for only $20

$40 shipped for the Wash Buckler Figure and $40 to $45 shipped for the game, portal and 2 other figures. That's for Ebay prices

Tempted to get one of these, but color and the thought that Nintendo is going to have to take drastic measures to save the console is holding me back.

Tempted to get one of these, but color and the thought that Nintendo is going to have to take drastic measures to save the console is holding me back.
That's a tough call. If you can wait then it's possible you could be looking at another price drop, maybe in the $200 range with Nintendo Land included. That's what i'm thinking as Nintendo is taking a big loss right now before and after the price drop. It's almost in PS Vita territory.

ZombiU was easily the best non-Nintendo game at launch. Tense, fun, and downright scary. I loved every minute of it and I pop it in every now and again to play a bit.
I checked Ebay prices and most auctions were in the $25-35 range with everything. I may keep the game, the Bundle actually cost me $150.

Still very tempted by this. Been wanting a Wii U for a long time while now, but I've got to believe the Deluxe version will be closer to $200 sometime this year.

I hope....
I don't think 32gb is enough space either. You may want a external hdd either way (8gb or 32gb). But if you like the black color better, I understand.

Welcome to the horrifying reality of touching anything ever.

It looks like prices are going to drop more.
Not until the holiday season, at the earliest, I would think. They just dropped it less than four months ago and they're losing money at the price point its currently at.

I would imagine they'll wait to see what kind of impact Super Smash Bros. and Mario Kart will have before they do anything too drastic.

Not until the holiday season, at the earliest, I would think. They just dropped it less than four months ago and they're losing money at the price point its currently at.
The Mario and Luigi bundle was $249.99 multiple times already before that announcement.

Some retailers are much more aggressive than Nintendo themselves when it comes to sales and price cuts.

bread's done
Back