Wall Street Protesters

[quote name='dohdough']You're right. The military, police, firefighters, schools, roads, social security, WIC, EBT, etc should all be abolished because they don't turn a profit and any ancillary benefits should be ignored.:roll:[/QUOTE]

If the "ancillary benefits" where what Myke was going on about, then we could have a different conversation. Instead, Myke said:
Obama's bailouts of the auto companies not only didn't lose money, they have been paid back in full and, in the process, turned a profit.

...which is a pretty big lie. A $27 Billion lie.

[quote name='cochesecochese']Sweet. Thread's completely tanked by page 3.[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry, did you have something you wanted to add to the thread? By all means, go ahead. Because, so far, you've posted twice and have added absolutely nothing worth discussing to this thread. Maybe you can try again. Third time's a charm and all.

This thread is actually behind schedule. Most threads go to shit on the first page. I hope this post didn't contribute anything of substance either.:D

[quote name='UncleBob']I'm sorry, did you have something you wanted to add to the thread? By all means, go ahead. Because, so far, you've posted twice and have added absolutely nothing worth discussing to this thread. Maybe you can try again. Third time's a charm and all.[/QUOTE]

Dawwwww, got under your skin already, Bob. Since we're playing the whole scatterbrained spread everything across all threads game....

What university did you graduate from? What was your major?

[quote name='cochesecochese']Dawwwww, got under your skin already, Bob. Since we're playing the whole scatterbrained spread everything across all threads game....

What university did you graduate from? What was your major?[/QUOTE]

Strike three. Good job.

Myke made a snide comment about me and I returned the favor. Then I get lambasted for "spreading everything across all threads". Nice.

I can assure you, you did not get "under my skin" - merely pointing out that you'd rather sit there launching water balloons from the roof rather than actually contribute something meaningful. You're more than welcome to continue, of course - but it hardly seems reasonable to continue doing it, then complaining about how threads "go to ****"

Cochesecochese has probably gone through a lot more drama then you have ever had. If this is the same Cochese I'm thinking of he was homeless once. I can only imagine what that hell was like.
Wait for it and he'll likely drop some real knowledge.

As far as your bagging(UncleBob) on the cleanliness it's really easy to have a one day protest and then clean things up afterward, making stuff look squeaky clean. Let's see if the Tea Party are able to echo that if they're protesting for a week or longer.

[quote name='Sarang01']As far as your bagging(UncleBob) on the cleanliness it's really easy to have a one day protest and then clean things up afterward, making stuff look squeaky clean. Let's see if the Tea Party are able to echo that if they're protesting for a week or longer.[/QUOTE]

How hard is it to buy a couple of trash bags and pick up after one's self though? It shouldn't matter if it's a day or if it's a month - everyone picking up their own garbage (or even the "organizers" picking up what others leave behind) would make a world of difference for the appearance of this "movement".

And for anyone who thinks I'm just nit-picking at these protestors because I disagree with them - I do have to say, I'm actually thrilled to see as many "End the Fed" signs as I do. At least there are some folks out there that realize the stupidity of protesting the government bailing out banks while these very same banks control monetary policy in the US.

Honestly, I never understood the appeal of NYC. Apparently it's some cultural flagship of America. To me, the place is kind of a shithole. Maybe that flagship part isn't so far off?

[quote name='nasum']Honestly, I never understood the appeal of NYC. Apparently it's some cultural flagship of America. To me, the place is kind of a shithole.[/QUOTE]

A shithole - compared to what? What American city even comes close?

[quote name='dohdough']You're right. The military, police, firefighters, schools, roads, social security, WIC, EBT, etc should all be abolished because they don't turn a profit and any ancillary benefits should be ignored.:roll:[/QUOTE]
You've heard of beer goggles, yes? Think of it as business goggles. As in they see everything through the lens of profit driven business. If it ain't making money, it ain't worth it.

[quote name='camoor']A shithole - compared to what? What American city even comes close?[/QUOTE]

Exactly, what American city? Compared to the "great cities of the world" NYC ain't shit. Hell, even compared to some of the mediocre ones...

Granted I've never been to NYC, but I guarantee there are places at least as dirty or dirtier. Unless there are random dumpsters on fire with burning trash, there are worse places.

[quote name='Clak']Granted I've never been to NYC, but I guarantee there are places at least as dirty or dirtier. Unless there are random dumpsters on fire with burning trash, there are worse places.[/QUOTE]

Manhattan isn't that bad anymore. You should check our Jersey, Trenton will give you nightmares.

NYC is worth visiting to see it's history, like the Garment District. To see what NYC was before all these fashion people started outsourcing things and it became a whore for the tourist dollar.
I would've liked to have visited Times Square while it was still seedy personally.

NYC is hella clean.

Granted, I live in Philly, so there's some context.

nasum's lily white Minneapolis ass could eat off the sidewalk in that town. Lutherans keep their shit spotless, yo.

[quote name='nasum']Exactly, what American city? Compared to the "great cities of the world" NYC ain't shit. Hell, even compared to some of the mediocre ones...[/QUOTE]

Wow.

OK what are these great cities of teh world?

[quote name='mykevermin']NYC is hella clean.

Granted, I live in Philly, so there's some context.

nasum's lily white Minneapolis ass could eat off the sidewalk in that town. Lutherans keep their shit spotless, yo.[/QUOTE]

Not the Subway from what I've heard myke.

[quote name='camoor']Wow.

OK what are these great cities of teh world?[/QUOTE]

so has nasum ever been to to NYC or any of the others he is probably thinking of (Paris, Rome, London, Tokyo?). Someone worldly might be able to get away with saying Manhattan is overrated. But there is no way in hell anyone who has ever been can say it is nothing.

[quote name='Msut77']so has nasum ever been to to NYC or any of the others he is probably thinking of (Paris, Rome, London, Tokyo?). Someone worldly might be able to get away with saying Manhattan is overrated. But there is no way in hell anyone who has ever been can say it is nothing.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, you can say the beaches of America aren't all that great, Boston is the most unfriendly city in America, and the midwest is largely a bore (true, true, you better believe it)

But saying "NYC ain't shit" is ignorant as hell.

NYC is awesome. It's fucking preposterously expensive, and driving through Manhattan should be considered cardio exercise - but it's an amazing city on the whole.

I mean, sure, it doesn't have "Spoon Bridge and Cherry," but hey, whatever blows your skirt up.

(full disclosure, I think Minneapolis is a pretty thrash city, too - though St. Paul is a void of humor and fun.)

[quote name='Msut77']Manhattan isn't that bad anymore. You should check our Jersey, Trenton will give you nightmares.[/QUOTE]
Can't be worse than Delhi, man. As bad maybe, but it can't be worse.

[quote name='mykevermin']NYC is awesome. It's fucking preposterously expensive, and driving through Manhattan should be considered cardio exercise - but it's an amazing city on the whole.

I mean, sure, it doesn't have "Spoon Bridge and Cherry," but hey, whatever blows your skirt up.

(full disclosure, I think Minneapolis is a pretty thrash city, too - though St. Paul is a void of humor and fun.)[/QUOTE]
Just be honest with us, you hate Garrison Keillor, don't you?;)

Funny, I actually like Boston and Philly, probably because they're kinda similar.

Boston may be the less-friendly version of NYC, but it's cleaner and far less crowded. Philly, on the other hand, is more friendly and just as walkable as Boston.

tl; dr: fuck NYC. :D

wow, shit on the midwest thread!

My experience with NYC from playing a couple of shows there earlier in life and walking around the area wherever we were was that everyone is in a hurry, nobody smiles, mostly impolite, ugly hookers, not very clean, poorly built, lax building code (not as bad as Chicago though, I won't even get into a building higher than 20 floors in that town), not all that cultural (looked like any other downtown) and mostly overrated.

Now Duesseldorf on the other hand, unique architecture, a real history, local cuisine (as opposed to that paper plate piece of shite those people call pizza), designed to match the environment as opposed to a pissing contest of tall buildings, etc...

Paris, meh, tourist trap, go to the burbs and you've got some nice areas, get out into wine country and you're in a real paradise.

Berlin was cool, I'd like to go back again when I have more time.

Jerusalem was completely insane. I can't even put that place into words. Glad I went, never want to go again.

Can't recall where in Jersey it was, but when we played the Jersey metalfest about a decade ago it was a complete nightmare. If I ever have to go to Jersey again it'll be too soon.

So yeah, in my experience, NYC ain't all that and a bag o' chips. It just seemed like a bunch of shit thrown together and when they took up all the horizontal space they decided to create vertical space with no care taken to the area.

My favourite place so far has been either Florence or Duesseldorf.

I think it's ironic that "america is bad" is pretty en vogue here, but the second you say somewhere else is better the chest thumping begins.

p.s.
fuck you the twin cities rule

Yeah, the Twin Cities do rule, if you enjoy constant road construction, public transit and highway infrastructure that is about 30 years behind schedule, and bitter cold.

I lived there for 17 years and after spending the last year in Des Moines, I'm not even sure I want to go back.

we don't really have the population to deserve light rail througout the metro area yet. It's nice to see it being worked to slowly, but seriously man you're never going to get from 494/62 to East St. Paul by taking a train for $3.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Yeah, the Twin Cities do rule, if you enjoy constant road construction, public transit and highway infrastructure that is about 30 years behind schedule, and bitter cold.

I lived there for 17 years and after spending the last year in Des Moines, I'm not even sure I want to go back.[/QUOTE]

Any chance you might come down here and visit Red? It's not as low key as Des Moines but we've got some great restaurants in Westport and Lawrence. Some very cool places in Westport especially.
Nasum you're right, that'll happen when we(Americans) get the 32 hour/4 day work week. With that people would actually have some real free time to check out their cities.
edit: Let's all just consider that kind of work week. It balances out work and rest a lot better then the 5 day work week. 2 days of rest?! 3 seems more fair and makes more sense.

[quote name='Sarang01']Any chance you might come down here and visit Red? It's not as low key as Des Moines but we've got some great restaurants in Westport and Lawrence. Some very cool places in Westport especially.
Nasum you're right, that'll happen when we(Americans) get the 32 hour/4 day work week. With that people would actually have some real free time to check out their cities.
edit: Let's all just consider that kind of work week. It balances out work and rest a lot better then the 5 day work week. 2 days of rest?! 3 seems more fair and makes more sense.[/QUOTE]
COMMIE SIGHTED!! RED ALERT1!!!!11:lol:

98862_600.jpg

HAHA...yeah...a smaller government will somehow lessen the power of corporations. That worked REALLY well during the Industrial Revolution and Gilded Age.

Here's the secret that Ron Paul doesn't tell you about smaller government: smaller governmental entities make it easier for them to be influenced; not harder.

It's like regulation, it's only needed because the people being regulated won't do the right thing on their own. Financial regulations are only needed because of the fuckwits in the financial industry.

[quote name='UncleBob']I can assure you, you did not get "under my skin" - merely pointing out that you'd rather sit there launching water balloons from the roof rather than actually contribute something meaningful. You're more than welcome to continue, of course - but it hardly seems reasonable to continue doing it, then complaining about how threads "go to ****"[/QUOTE]

Oh lawd.

Bob's whining about people contributing yet the only thing he's talked about in this thread (up to this post) is grass being trashed. What's that phenomena called?

[quote name='Sarang01']Cochesecochese has probably gone through a lot more drama then you have ever had. If this is the same Cochese I'm thinking of he was homeless once. I can only imagine what that hell was like.
Wait for it and he'll likely drop some real knowledge.[/QUOTE]

In the flesh. I am humbled that you would remember something like that about me. I thank you.

[quote name='UncleBob']The 53% speaks out....[/QUOTE]

http://actuallyyourethe47percent.tumblr.com/

I kinda dig that you fell into Erik Erickson's astroturf trap, since your entire time posting on this site has been marked by a venomous defense of massive wealth inequality from you, a wage slave at a massive chain.

Besides, this 53/47% stuff is all poppycock, since they are based on the argument that 47% people pay no federal income tax whatsoever. This mysteriously becomes "47% of people are bums and leeches on society," which overlooks the reality that there are all kinds of taxes that this 47% pays throughout the year.

But, sure, keep fanning your masters. They're almost out of grapes, you know. Get off your lazy bum and serve them, servant.

[quote name='cochesecochese']Oh lawd.

Bob's whining about people contributing yet the only thing he's talked about in this thread (up to this post) is grass being trashed. What's that phenomena called?[/QUOTE]

trolling, methinks.

I should know better than to respond.

If Eric son of Eric has three jobs then I must have five. Also if I was looking for work and trying to feed my family and a pampered dolt told me to suck it up....

[quote name='wune'] Ron Paul was fighting this fight before it was cool.[/QUOTE]

Ron Paul blames the recession on Wall Street? Not just the CRA and/or Fannie & Freddie?

[quote name='mykevermin']I should know better than to respond.[/QUOTE]

Willpower. I should work on that.

edit: Should I even bother starting a new thread or should we just try and turn this one around?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='cochesecochese']Oh lawd.

Bob's whining about people contributing yet the only thing he's talked about in this thread (up to this post) is grass being trashed. What's that phenomena called?

[...]

edit: Should I even bother starting a new thread or should we just try and turn this one around?[/QUOTE]

I'm still waiting for you to contribute anything to the thread. I can only assume that by "we" turning this thing around, you actually plan on getting involved and being the change you want to see in the world verses throwing a hissy fit until someone else does it for you. What's that phenomena called?

[quote name='mykevermin']http://actuallyyourethe47percent.tumblr.com/

I kinda dig that you fell into Erik Erickson's astroturf trap, since your entire time posting on this site has been marked by a venomous defense of massive wealth inequality from you, a wage slave at a massive chain.

Besides, this 53/47% stuff is all poppycock, since they are based on the argument that 47% people pay no federal income tax whatsoever. This mysteriously becomes "47% of people are bums and leeches on society," which overlooks the reality that there are all kinds of taxes that this 47% pays throughout the year.

But, sure, keep fanning your masters. They're almost out of grapes, you know. Get off your lazy bum and serve them, servant.[/QUOTE]

I'm left wondering if you actually clicked the link or if - shockingly - you just assumed you already knew what I posted.

I'm wondering this because I didn't link to Erickson's blog. I linked to a HuPo article that discussed it. The same article did a pretty decent job covering exactly what you posted...

Well, just because 47 percent of households do not pay federal income tax does not mean that they do not pay any federal taxes. Indeed, almost everyone pays some: There are federal taxes for Social Security and Medicare, on gas, alcohol, and cigarettes. Plus, there are also state and local taxes, and property taxes. You'd have to be freegan to escape paying any tax at all.

...*and*, if we're going to start counting all the other miscellaneous taxes paid in, does that mean when anyone starts complaining about the taxes paid in by the "1%", they'll stop quoting their percentage of Federal Income tax and, instead, start adding up their Federal and State Income taxes, gas/alcohol and cigarette taxes, their property taxes (I'd bet some of them pay more in property taxes than many members of the "47%" pay in all taxes combined), their sales tax, etc., etc.

No? We'll just continue to quote the Federal rate when it makes your argument, but include all the other taxes when it doesn't. Okay then. Sounds fair.

The article also goes into detail about how those evil, nasty "Bush Tax Cuts" allow many of the 47%ers to get by without paying Federal Income Taxes. It's a pretty good read.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='nasum']we don't really have the population to deserve light rail througout the metro area yet. It's nice to see it being worked to slowly, but seriously man you're never going to get from 494/62 to East St. Paul by taking a train for $3.[/QUOTE]

Its not just rapid transit that I was complaining about. Traffic is a nightmare, constantly. Why it took them so long to sort out the 35W and 62 mess is beyond me but I will say it was a step in the right direction.

[quote name='Sarang01']Any chance you might come down here and visit Red? It's not as low key as Des Moines but we've got some great restaurants in Westport and Lawrence. Some very cool places in Westport especially.
edit: Let's all just consider that kind of work week. It balances out work and rest a lot better then the 5 day work week. 2 days of rest?! 3 seems more fair and makes more sense.[/QUOTE]

My girlfriend and I have been trying to make it down to the Kansas City area for a while now but we never seem to have the time.

[quote name='Sarang01']

Can't see that ever happening. Hell, the 40 hour, 5 day work week is a dream for a lot of us!

With an hourly pay system, most people just couldn't afford to go down to 32 hour weeks. And companies aren't going to scale back productivity expectations so it would create staffing headaches of getting the right combo of full and part time workers to generate the same output.

As a society we are too focused on work for sure--and I'm certainly guilty of that myself, though I don't have much choice unless I change career paths due to the publish or perish hell of academia.

But I just don't see that really changing ,and certainly not something drastic like going to 4 day, 32 hour work weeks.

I don't even have much interest in that myself as I tend to get bored if I'm not working a good bit. I'd like to have more 40 hour weeks and less working nights and weekend and not stressing about work when not working. But I don't think I'd want to cut back to 32 hours. But I like my job ok, so my views different from the average joe who hates their job.

bread's done
Back