Wall Street Protesters

[quote name='The Crotch']I was wondering if that was getting the coverage down there that it does up here.[/QUOTE]
It isn't. The Conrad Murray verdict is getting more frontpage space...LOLZ

[quote name='The Crotch']I was wondering if that was getting the coverage down there that it does up here.[/QUOTE]

It isnt. Most major sites/newspapers have little to nothing about it. This protest has brought a small amount of coverage, but iv hardly seen it mentioned at any big media sites.

[quote name='MSI Magus']its all just childishness from both parties.[/QUOTE]

As opposed to your insightful comment here...

[quote name='Clak']So yeah, they'd just pass down that extra cost to consumers rather than take the hit themselves, despite the fact that they'd still make more than enough profit if they did take the hit.[/QUOTE]

This. While I'm sure the amount of profit would vary on the item, retailers, manufactures, distributors, etc., all want a certain percentage of profit regardless of the costs of where it's made.

Apple probably isn't the best example, as they're known for their highly inflated prices... but I'd have to see the actual article. Do they take into account wages, benefits and payroll taxes for the employees making each of those components? The actual costs associated with sourcing them (as there are few factories left in the US, vs. China which already has the facilitates, which probably require minor tweaks). Obviously, they'd save a little bit on shipping. And, what are they calling Apple's profit? If $250 worth of components sells for $500, is that taking into account the retailer's cut? The cost of shipping it to the retailer? Advertising and promotions?

The Occupy Oakland General Assembly received $20,000 from Occupy Wall Street to help people with bail and such.

They then voted to deposit that money into Wells Fargo.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']You can always tell when Bob is transcribing a conservative talk show when he fails to cite his sources.[/QUOTE]

Or, instead, you could find someplace else to store your head and see that I've been very much following the Occupy Oakland movement, posting several other sources all throughout this thread.

In this particular case, I got home after 1 AM due to Modern Warfare 3 going on sale.
I checked Twitter to see what had happened yesterday.
I came upon a series of tweets by Susie Cagle (one of the reporters who was arrested on the 2nd - if you'd like to find out more about that, go here...
Anyway, her initial tweet on the subject was:

#occupyoakland the $20k sent by #ows can apparently only be spent on legal and medical issues. And, uh, it's stored safely at Wells Fargo.

So, I did some looking around on twitter and tried to find out more about what happened. A few accounts worth checking out would be:
http://twitter.com/#!/GiveMeThatJuice
http://twitter.com/#!/GonzOakland
http://twitter.com/#!/tyfong919

I was tired and still wasn't quite sure what happened, so I tweeted @OakFoSho (great guy, been watching many of his live streams, including where he got shot by pepper balls on the second) for clarification:

@OakFoSho Okay, I've missed something... what's this about #OO putting $20K in Wells Fargo?

This was at about 3 o'clock in the morning I made my tweet. You can see it right there.
The first tweet I saw about it (the one from Susie) was sent at 11 in the evening.

So, assuming that it happened around that time (9-ish local time for Occupy Oakland people) and I can prove I first became aware of it four hours later, at worst, how many "conservative talk shows" are on this late at night and are covering the events of Occupy Oakland that closely?

I am not a spiritual person, but "Jesus..."

Well if the money is going to be spent quickly, why would you want to make the account handling costs at a credit union that won't "hold" the money for very long.

In the end, I see the logic behind putting the money in a commercial bank.

p.s.
Oil is under $100 per barrel right now. If you're looking for a long position on oil buying between $85-$95 will earn a decent return.

28-2d4eff3b691.jpg

[quote name='IRHari']I hope Bob, you weren't mocking OWS by pointing out they put the money in Wells Fargo.[/QUOTE]

OWS didn't - Occupy Oakland voted to do it.

There are several people very upset by the decision. (One tweet said something along the lines of "This is the first time I've felt like rioting since OO started")

I'm not mocking it - merely questioning if it really helps to represent their goals. Another tweet said something along the lines of "I can see the ad campaign now 'Wells Fargo - even our enemies trust us with their money.'"

The quick-and-dirty of the Occupy Oakland/Wells Fargo story, from @OakFoSho.

(Part 1) #OccupyOakland has not received its paperwork back from the State of CA to become a "legal entity". #OO #OWS #p21

(Part 2) The paperwork should arrive w/in the next week, THEN #OccupyOakland will be able to open a CU account. #OO #OWS #p21

(Part 3) For emergency purposes, bail, etc, #OccupyOakland thus voted to receive $20K in our lawyers trust at Wells Fargo. #OO #OWS #p21

(Part 4) This was done TEMPORARILY, for emergency purposes. The funds WILL be placed in a CU, as soon as is legally possible. #OO #OWS #p21

(Part 5) Receiving the $20K in our lawyers trust at Welds Fargo was thus a temporary, yet necessary evil, to be resolved ASAP. #OO #OWS #p21

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/18403559

Here's a recorded-live uStream video from @OakFoSho from last night's "Emergency" meeting of the GA that clarifies the Wells Fargo mess. Sounds like one of those things that no one's happy with, but there's not much to do otherwise.

Two most important things: A) Occupy Oakland hasn't actually received the money from OWS, nor has it been deposited yet and B) The plan is to move it to a CU asap.

Also, ignore that shout-out to me. OakFoSho has my name mixed up with someone else - I wasn't the one nagging him about that. :D

[quote name='willardhaven']I'm impressed by the scrutiny you're showing toward Occupy Oakland Bob. I've never seen this side of you before.[/QUOTE]

As I've said before, I agree with most of what the Occupy movement stands for - I simply believe they need to redirect their focus in order to be more effectual.

In the case of Oakland, the government response has been amazing - even more than I expected. While I don't want anyone to get a tear-gas canister to the face, I can only hope that the government response to these Occupy protests will help protestors figure out who they should really be focusing on.

[quote name='willardhaven']I'm impressed by the scrutiny you're showing toward Occupy Oakland Bob. I've never seen this side of you before.[/QUOTE]
Some pretty rotten shit has gone down there. Bob's pretty front and center when the government is effing up. I think he dislikes government more than he dislikes liberals.

Good posts though bob. Informative.

[quote name='UncleBob']As I've said before, I agree with most of what the Occupy movement stands for [/QUOTE]
No you don't, at least judging from posts you've made in the past. You think their rage is misplaced and should be directed at the government, so how exactly do you agree with what they stand for? I could go on, but what would be the point...

[quote name='speedracer']Some pretty rotten shit has gone down there. Bob's pretty front and center when the government is effing up. I think he dislikes government more than he dislikes liberals.[/QUOTE]

I don't dislike the government - I merely hate those who run it and abuse it for their own desires. The government *could* be a pretty amazing thing, something we could proudly hail as an achievement of our country.

Regardless of one's political leanings, I'd say it's safe to say most of us would agree that what we have going now isn't working. Obviously, we might disagree on *how* to fix it - or what "fixing" it even really means - but, until enough people realize that government is the problem (or, at least, a very large part of the problem), stop making excuses for it and get willing to fight for it, it's a lost cause to get too excited over it... so, instead, I end up on a gaming message board, making snippy comments about loser politicians.

This Occupy thing has the potential to begin something amazing. Something the tea party never did (due to many of their... louder members who wanted to focus on social issues like abortion and same-sex marriage, etc.). Will it fade away or will it stay? I don't know. But, I'll stick around for the ride.

[quote name='Clak']No you don't, at least judging from posts you've made in the past. You think their rage is misplaced and should be directed at the government, so how exactly do you agree with what they stand for? I could go on, but what would be the point...[/QUOTE]

This has been posted before, but it never hurts to post it again.
Occupy-Wall-Street-Tea-Party-venn-diagram-600x509.jpg
Although, in my opinion, government *and* corporations have too much power. That thing in the middle is where I stand. (Someone go find that thread I started about Mattel getting that exemption from the government on testing their toys...)

Just because I tell someone to stop punching the wall doesn't mean I disagree with or don't understand the reason why they're angry. It just means that I realize punching the wall isn't going to help anything.

A nice silly venn diagram is...well, it's nice and silly.

But when you have one group of people who fundamentally believe that a deregulated market economy is what is needed to cure corporations of their corruption and greed, and the other group believes those are precisely the conditions that lead to expanded corruption and greed - well, where is there room for compromise?

[quote name='mykevermin']A nice silly venn diagram is...well, it's nice and silly.

But when you have one group of people who fundamentally believe that a deregulated market economy is what is needed to cure corporations of their corruption and greed, and the other group believes those are precisely the conditions that lead to expanded corruption and greed - well, where is there room for compromise?[/QUOTE]
Exactly. I feel like a dick for being jaded but every time I hear that "we" have something in common with "them", what I really hear is "let's be friends long enough for me to stab you in the back as soon as Keynes v. Hayek questions show up." And that moment happens roughly exactly the same moment a decision is needed.

I am still floored that Ron Paul thinks the government is responsible for Enron, by the by. But that's only slightly related to the topic. Don't let me UncleBob this.

[quote name='speedracer']Exactly. I feel like a dick for being jaded but every time I hear that "we" have something in common with "them", what I really hear is "let's be friends long enough for me to stab you in the back as soon as Keynes v. Hayek questions show up." And that moment happens roughly exactly the same moment a decision is needed.[/QUOTE]

The divide goes beyond economics. Economics isn't even the term that I would prefer to use here.

[quote name='mykevermin']Oh, examiner. When will you stop fooling people into thinking you're not user-generated, unedited content?[/QUOTE]

Um, ok? There's other news sites reporting it too...

[quote name='perdition(troy']he didn't follow the link and see that the examiner is just citing a CBS report, don't worry about it.[/QUOTE]

The San Diego news doesn't say anything more than two carts have to be shut down for sanitary reasons, however.

Hello friends.

Man found dead in Occupy New Orleans encampment
Published: Tuesday, November 08, 2011, 8:17 PM Updated: Wednesday, November 09, 2011, 7:54 AM
By Leslie Williams, The Times-Picayune The Times-Picayune

A 53-year-old man was found dead Tuesday inside a tent pitched at the Occupy New Orleans encampment at Duncan Plaza across from City Hall. He appears to have been living in the tent inside the occupation zone, said John Gagliano, chief investigator for the Orleans Parish Coroner's Office.

View full sizeOccupy New Orleans protesters march down Tulane Avenue toward City Hall
The man appears to have been dead for at least two days, Gagliano said.

Police received a call shortly before 6 p.m. about the incident in the 1300 block of Perdido Street.

"There are no obvious signs of trauma to the body," Gagliano said.

At the moment, his death is "unclassified," according to authorities.

An autopsy will be performed soon to determine the cause of death, Gagliano said.

Inspired by the Occupy Wall Street protests, the Occupy New Orleans group opposes what it views as the disproportionate power wielded by corporations and the rich.

http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2011/11/man_found_dead_in_occupy_new_o.html

Occupiers poach homeless services

Occupy Boston has been encouraging protesters to take showers, hot meals and shelter meant for the homeless, prompting a St. Francis House manager to ask the downtown campers to remove directions from their Internet newspaper.

The online publication that calls itself “Occupy Boston Globe” posts meal times and shower hours at St. Francis House on Boylston Street, which runs on private donations and state and federal funding.

“We don’t want there to be a message to other people that we’re offering something different to them,” said St. Francis services director Andrea Ryan. She said she asked Occupy Boston to take the posting down, but because the shelter does not turn anyone away, Occupiers are free to use the shelter’s showers and meal lines.

Occupy Boston Globe staffers, who declined to be named, said they were unaware St. Francis House wanted the information removed.

Andy Claude, in Occupy’s logistics tent, said he sees no problem with protestors using services intended for the city’s poor.

“It’s for anybody; they’ve opened it to anyone who is in need,” said Claude. He added a number of shelters have taken in older and unwell protesters.

Boston’s Emergency Shelter Commission gave Occupy a list of shelters. Mayoral spokeswoman Dot Joyce said it was aimed at homeless Occupiers: “Anywhere we can give services to homeless people, I think is appropriate.”

But Robb Zarges, of the youth shelter Bridge Over Troubled Water, said, “There’s a difference between choosing to sleep somewhere, versus being kicked out of your home.”

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/regional/view/2011_1108occupiers_poach_homeless_services/

Occupy protestors set up gals-only tent to guard against pervs
By HELEN FREUND and TODD VENEZIA

Last Updated: 10:11 PM, November 4, 2011

It’s a safe house from the sex fiends.

Zuccotti Park has become so overrun by sexual predators attacking women in the night that organizers felt compelled to set up a female-only sleeping tent today to keep the sickos away.

The large, metal-framed “safety tent” — which will be guarded by an all-female patrol — can accommodate as many as 18 people and will be used during the day for women-only meetings, said Occupy Wall Street organizers.

“This is all about safety in numbers,” said Becky Wartell, 24, a protester from Portland, Maine. “When you are in a large group of people sleeping, you will, of course, feel a lot safer than if you were by yourself.[and] if something happens there are so many more people to witness it and say something.

Andrew Kelly
OWS protesters construct a large, women-only tent to guard against perverts.
“It will also keep away people that might feel more inclined to prey on two- and three-people tents.”

The safety measure comes amid a terrifying spree of sexual assaults — including an alleged rape — in the Zuccotti Park camp.

Kitchen worker Tonye Iketubosin, 26, was arrested Wednesday for allegedly groping an 18-year-old woman after offering to help set up her tent. He is also a suspect in a rape at the park.

The grope victims include Kara Demetropoulos, who told The Post she was fondled in a tent last Saturday night after accepting a man’s offer of a place to sleep.

The protesters have not been reporting all the incidents to police — instead preferring to settle things on their own.

The tent and its all-female security detail is the latest crime-fighting measure, and it is already getting a lot of interest.

“I’m gonna be staying here,” said Olivia Chitayat, 23, who was helping to put up the tent. “It’s partially because of the recent attacks that have been happening.

“I think that this will help bring more women to the movement as well. I think a lot of women have been hesitant and especially for those that are new and don’t know a lot of people it’s hard to find a safe place to stay.”

Demetropoulos thought the safety tent was a good idea, though she doesn’t plan on using it even after her own experience.

“I feel safe in my tent, but I bet this will help a lot of other women feel a lot safer than they have been,” said the 20-year-old Alabama native.

Some of the male OWS protesters were still in denial over the growing number of sex attacks.

“Sexual harassment gets called rape, and it’s not,” one scoffed when told of the women’s tent. “There’s no way that it’s happening as much as people are saying it has. It’s just word spreading and getting misunderstood.”

One woman was also against the tent, saying the protesters who put it up tore her tent down to make room without giving her any notice.

“I’m pissed! I pretty much just got evicted,” fumed Angelina Isfreed, 32, after returning to find her tent taken down. “I won’t be staying there.”

More people may have to move. The protest organizers plan to put up seven more large tents, including ones for gay and transgender people, co-ed tents and a medical tent.

Meanwhile, Mayor Bloomberg said on his WOR radio show that he wasn’t going to tolerate lawlessness in Zuccotti Park.

“People have the right to protest; they don’t have a right to destroy a neighborhood,” he said. “Anybody that thinks we’re going to tolerate behavior that’s not protected is wrong.”

Also today, former Mayor Giuliani said President Obama must take responsibility for the “very dangerous” OWS movement.

“Barack Obama owns the ‘Occupy Wall Street’ movement; it would not have happened but for his class warfare,” Giuliani told the conservative Americans for Prosperity Foundation summit in Washington.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/...ard_gals_GrHaRZAhzAXBGnjRfXsnCJ#ixzz1d7dGSlw4

"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable." - JFK

Had never seen that before, but God I love it and God its fitting.

Peaceful revolution is impossible. Peaceful change is voting the other party into power. Revolution is telling members of both parties that they better find refuge in another country or they're getting the guillotine.

bread's done
Back