Walmart.com pre-order E-Gift Card on Mario Galaxy 2/Halo Reach/More

ShockandAww

CAGiversary!
Feedback
110 (100%)
Last edited by a moderator:
If you're going to wait for Amazon to match watch for lower prices on anything before they add the gift card. If it's lower than retail order it then. That way you'll get the lowered price + a gift card if they match it.

For example Crackdown 2 is a good one to preorder right now at Amazon since it's only $55. If they add a gift card with it they will jack the price up to 59.99 so better to order now. If they don't add the GC just cancel before it ships.

Also, It's easy to watch prices by adding to cart and saving for later. Then check your cart often and if there's been a price drop (or an increase) since you put it in your cart it alerts you.

Also good to check your gold box quick picks and see if they have any of these games at a discount.

I keep getting this error when checking out - it's not telling me what's really going on, and I'm not paying for shipping:

Items Not Available for Site to StoreSM
Site to StoreSM is unavailable for the items listed below:

Items Quantity

You can continue with this purchase by specifying an address to ship this item to.
OR
You can return to the Cart and delete this item from your order.

On the one hand you only get taxed on the non-giftcard portion of your order (so $29.96 in the case of Super Mario Galaxy 2), but on the other hand, and unlike when I pre-ordered Battlefield Bad Company 2 and Read Dead Redemption, they don't seem to be offering free shipping. :( So I now hope more then ever that amazon price matches.

Also it doesn't seem to offer site-to-store. It's not shown as an option in the item listing, at least it wasn't when I checked a few minutes ago.

Yeah, I'll give amazon until late this afternoon. If they don't price match by then, shame on them, because I don't want to miss out on the walmart deal, so I'll just pay for the shipping.

[quote name='handsomepete']yes, but they charge immediately for the gift card's value (i.e. if SMG2 is 49.99 and the GC is 20, they'll charge 20 now, and charge 29.99 when SMG2 ships)[/QUOTE]

Uo front the cost is still $52.43 so are you saying that you pay $20 (for the card) now and the remainder when it ships? How soon does the Ecard arrive?

[quote name='jhferry']Uo front the cost is still $52.43 so are you saying that you pay $20 (for the card) now and the remainder when it ships? How soon does the Ecard arrive?[/QUOTE]

The Ecard is essentially instant to your email once you complete the order - maybe a few minutes delay. You can use it as soon as you get it.

God SMG2 with a $20 credit is amazing. If Amazon matches this ill be thrilled. Hell id consider picking up a few of the others like halo Reach im less interested in too!

[quote name='jhferry']Uo front the cost is still $52.43 so are you saying that you pay $20 (for the card) now and the remainder when it ships? How soon does the Ecard arrive?[/QUOTE]

For my past orders, I got the egiftcard within 30 minutes. Probably closer to 5 minutes. And yes, you pay for the gift card immediately and then pay that much less for the game when it ships. EDIT: and you only pay tax on the remainder, not the gift card amount - gift cards aren't taxed. So that's a bonus.

[quote name='ShockandAww']If you're going to wait for Amazon to match watch for lower prices on anything before they add the gift card. If it's lower than retail order it then. That way you'll get the lowered price + a gift card if they match it.

For example Crackdown 2 is a good one to preorder right now at Amazon since it's only $55. If they add a gift card with it they will jack the price up to 59.99 so better to order now. If they don't add the GC just cancel before it ships.

Also, It's easy to watch prices by adding to cart and saving for later. Then check your cart often and if there's been a price drop (or an increase) since you put it in your cart it alerts you.[/QUOTE]
Good call. Checked my Goldbox and saw Reach was at 56.99. I'll take that with a 20 GC, most definitely. Let's hope they continue the pricematching war.

Now I just need Super Mario Galaxy 2 to show up. It's shown up before, which is why I'm scared it won't again.

Looks like Reach was matched, don't see anything for MG2 yet

Get a $20 Video Games Credit
Pre-order Halo Reach and get $20 off a future video game purchase. The promotional code will be placed directly into your Amazon.com account within 2 business days after the product ships. Offer valid when shipped and sold by Amazon.com. Promotion valid on all existing orders. Limit one per household. Amazon reserves the right to change or terminate this promotion at any time.

[quote name='E-Z-B']I keep getting this error when checking out - it's not telling me what's really going on, and I'm not paying for shipping:

Items Not Available for Site to StoreSM
Site to StoreSM is unavailable for the items listed below:

Items Quantity

You can continue with this purchase by specifying an address to ship this item to.
OR
You can return to the Cart and delete this item from your order.[/QUOTE]

Same here, I called CS and she said she didnt have a problem but I was trying to pay with PP so we got nowhere.

Don't know if anyone has seen this yet, but on Amazon someone started a discussion today about the giftcard, for Super Mario Galaxy 2, haven't checked the others, so maybe that will prompt them to change the price sooner... One can hope :D

I do have a few more questions though:

1. Has anyone checked if this is in store as well? On Amazon the way it reads it kind of sounds like an instore promotion.

2. Since you can use the eGiftcard immediately, can you apply it to the price? I figure you can't, but figure doesn't hurt to check. Normally don't buy from Walmart.com so it would be nice to get it used up!

3. From those that have done these in the past, how long does the promo usually last?

$20 off is certainly enough to make me want to buy from Walmart or Amazon, but at the same time, I love going to pick a game up on release day, so I'm really hoping Toy's R Us or someone would have a better deal!

I ordered Halo: Reach from Amazon but there is no mention of the $20 credit in my order status. How do I prove that I am supposed to receive the $20 credit later on when they no longer offer the promotion?

[quote name='Kendro']I ordered Halo: Reach from Amazon but there is no mention of the $20 credit in my order status. How do I prove that I am supposed to receive the $20 credit later on when they no longer offer the promotion?[/QUOTE]

From my experience, Amazon just... knows. You don't get an e-mail about it until you actually receive the credit. Unless there's somewhere else that it's listed and I can't find it...

I jumped on board yesterday soon as I saw this and preordered SMG2 and used the $20 gift card on heavy rain which was priced $53.?? so when it was said and done I got SMG2 for 46.06 shipped and heavy rain for $45 site to store so I guess I didn't do too bad. I've been wanting to preorder SMG2 for a while and this sinched it although don't look like I got the 5% bing cashback. May be due to the fact it kept screwing up trying to checkout and I'd have to go back to cart again and again on both orders. SMG2 would not do site to store so I had to pay shipping on it. Still fair deal I suppose.

I'm assuming that WalMart stores don't match Walmart.com. I'd love to get this in store.

EDIT: Just went ahead and got it, but couldn't do Site-to-Store. Oh well, $2.47 shipping and after gift card I had, my total was only $1.29--plus I get the $20 gift card. Nice!

Last edited by a moderator:
Question: Since Halo Reach was PM'd at amazon with $20 GC, but it says "we reserve the right to cancel/change this anytime", what happens if I preorder now, while the GC offer is going? If they lower/cancel it later, but I pre-ordered during the promo, do I get it "locked in" and keep it, so to speak? Or do I lose it?

[quote name='callmewoof']Question: Since Halo Reach was PM'd at amazon with $20 GC, but it says "we reserve the right to cancel/change this anytime", what happens if I preorder now, while the GC offer is going? If they lower/cancel it later, but I pre-ordered during the promo, do I get it "locked in" and keep it, so to speak? Or do I lose it?[/QUOTE]

if you pre order it now, thats what you get it for, plus if i understand correctly, if the price goes lower you will get that as well

Pre-ordered Halo:Reach at Amazon with the $20 credit, no tax and prime.
Come on Amazon, match WM with a $20 credit for Super Mario Galaxy 2.

Sweet, I was going to wait for $40 for Reach.

I just preordered at Amazon. I am waiting patiently to add Crackdown 2. If they match $20 for Galaxy 2 I supposed I will get it for my GF.

[quote name='crzyjoeguy']if you pre order it now, thats what you get it for, plus if i understand correctly, if the price goes lower you will get that as well[/QUOTE]

Thanks but I'm still confused. I know they do a PRICE guarentee (like preordering at $50 then it later raises to $60 but you're safe at $50). I'm asking about the gift card which says "we can cancel/remove this whenever we want". If I preorder when they offer it (now) and they remove the gift card later, do I still get it?

[quote name='callmewoof']Thanks but I'm still confused. I know they do a PRICE guarentee (like preordering at $50 then it later raises to $60 but you're safe at $50). I'm asking about the gift card which says "we can cancel/remove this whenever we want". If I preorder when they offer it (now) and they remove the gift card later, do I still get it?[/QUOTE]
yes you lock in the offer..... ive done it many times with gc and never had a issue

[quote name='callmewoof']Thanks but I'm still confused. I know they do a PRICE guarentee (like preordering at $50 then it later raises to $60 but you're safe at $50). I'm asking about the gift card which says "we can cancel/remove this whenever we want". If I preorder when they offer it (now) and they remove the gift card later, do I still get it?[/QUOTE]

the offer is guaranteed when you pre order it. what they are saying is that they can decide to stop the promotion at any time, and anyone who orders after that won't have the promotion anymore.

If they match SMG2 its going to make my day! However how sweet would it be if they went a step further on the $10 matches and made Amazons $20? I will skip Crackdown 2 and MNR at $10 GC....but with a $20 id buy both.

Anyone have any experience with pre-ordering multiple items at once and paying with Bill Me Later? I'm about to pull the trigger and pre-order some of these titles but I want to use Bill Me Later and I was wondering if I would receive one bill for all of the items or one bill for each item as they're released.

Amazon will match the SMG2 deal. TRU will have the same deal or better. Remember the $25gc smg deal? Can't wait. I'll then use the credit on Metroid other M the following month. :)

:( Response I got when I asked about SMG2

"Hello,

Amazon doesn’t offer a price match guarantee. We do spend considerable effort to ensure our prices are the lowest in the marketplace at any time. Because the marketplace is constantly changing and we strive to offer the lowest price, you’ll see some fluctuations in our prices over time.

You can visit our pricing policies in our Help pages to read more:"

[quote name='the_legend_of_drtre']Amazon will match the SMG2 deal. TRU will have the same deal or better. Remember the $25gc smg deal? Can't wait. I'll then use the credit on Metroid other M the following month. :)[/QUOTE]
yup i remember that. i'm gonna pm @ BB for sure.

In for SMG2 and $20 ecard. Used $20 ecard to buy $20 giftcard shipped free to home. 5% Bing cashback confirmed on initial purchase and subsequent giftcard purchase.

To the guy whos paranoid that Amazon will revoke the giftcard, I don't think its been done yet so you shouldn't worry.

The amazon deal is good for long term. Walmart is good if you want the code now. One thing though, Walmart is weak not allowing ship to store. With Tax that hurts it a bit.

If you can wait on the code, Amazon is the way to go.

[quote name='jhferry']The amazon deal is good for long term. Walmart is good if you want the code now. One thing though, Walmart is weak not allowing ship to store. With Tax that hurts it a bit.

If you can wait on the code, Amazon is the way to go.[/QUOTE]

*was referring to SMG2 which they still havnt price matched*

I'm developing a sick, sick internet fetish for free money with game purchases. I'll stick with amazon, but how great it is with retailers competing so vigorously for your money?

not sure what I should preorder from Walmart or stick with Amazon.

I'm guessing the Walmart eGC's don't have an expiration date? also anyone know if I can order real gift cards with it? and it seems that Walmart sometimes has free shipping and charges other times. Walmart also has bing cb (though someone mentioned it's gone?). only $29.96 is taxed wheres everything is taxed at Amazon (yes I get taxed :bomb:). it all depends on the sipping and cb because it really is a pain to spend my Amazon credit since it is only for games and has to be done within a month (bonus is that the credit is taken off the total before tax).

I like how Cheapy puts the Amazon deal on the front page since he probably doesn't get any money when we click on the Wal-Mart links. Cheapy if you want to post good deals on the front page, post when Wal-Mart has a good deal too.

bread's done
Back