Walmart HD DVD warranty

crazynater

CAGiversary!
Feedback
10 (100%)
I have situation that I was wondering about. Today Toshiba officially called out the death of HD DVD. I was one of the many who bought one during their Secret Friday sales before Christmas. Within 30 days, It was possible to buy a 2-year warranty for $20, so I did. I assume that the warranty is useless now and is protecting something that can no longer guaranteed. So my question is, since they are no longer making players, and Walmart will no longer stock anything HD DVD come May, can I get a refund on my warranty? If I can't get a refund, and something wrong happens that is covered by the warranty, then what will happen?

I doubt that they will refund the warranty, but I really don't know. That's just my gut. They might give you a gift card for the value. If the product breaks while under the store warranty, and they no longer have units to replace it with, they will probably give you a gift card for the value you paid.

You'll probably be stuck with the warranty, but they'll issue a gift card for the amount paid for the player should you have problems with it and it can be neither repaired nor replaced.

Toshiba says they'll be servicing the players for 8 years, so Walmart should foot the bill to send it to Toshiba to fix it. Otherwise, they'll hand you a gift card for the value of the player.

Thanks for your responses. I have no intentions of purposely "breaking" the player because of the Toshiba decision today. I just wanted to honestly know what is happening to my invested money. I'll hang on to my 20 HD DVDs until my player is no longer playable or serviceable. When that happens, I'll replace what I own on HD DVD with the blu-ray counterpart.

Thanks again.

as a former emp.

the player warranty is good (for the 2yrs) as long as you keep the reciept and every thing that came with the player.

also as a note:

they will definately not except open dvds if none of the same format and title(must be both) are in.

i'll have to check with my local WM video vendor to see whats going down.

The warranty you bought is through a 3rd party. Wal-Mart's will not return/exchange/refund the player once the 90 day return period runs out.

Some states have laws where you could get a prorated refund on the extended warranty. Check your T&C's. Also, you would be able to exchange the open HD DVDs when the Blu Ray version is relased. Open media must be exchanged for the same title. I was able to exchange the 300 DVD for the HD version.

[quote name='GizmoGC']Wal-Mart sells warranties?[/QUOTE]
yea, you have to either ask for them or get someone who cares enough to tell you about it

[quote name='Unickuta']Why would you buy a warranty for a player? They're usually really sturdy, and you got it on Black Friday to boot.[/quote]

Yeah, aren't appliances like that built to be replaced and not repaired? Something like that, although that may be bigger home appliances and big ass televisions.

[quote name='Unickuta']Why would you buy a warranty for a player? They're usually really sturdy, and you got it on Black Friday to boot.[/quote]

I look at it this way, would I rather spend $20-50 or so for a warranty/PRP or XYZ amount to rebuy ANOTHER of the same item which would've been at least covered for 2-3 years by the PRP/warranty?

To me, it makes no sense to avoid purchasing one on the larger items, since at least then it's covered and you have a sense of security in that respect. I've seen people mention how they took in their year or two old 360's which were red ringing and swapped them out for the newer elite models with the better heatsinks. They were in and out in 20-30 minutes and didn't have to wait WEEKS to get a replacement or repair from MS.

I don't know about you, but if it's a choice between sending an item into the company it's made by and paying shipping costs AND possible repair costs, I'd rather have just spent that additional $20-50 or whatever and be able to swap the item on the spot for a different one.

But, maybe it's just me??

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I look at it this way, would I rather spend $20-50 or so for a warranty/PRP or XYZ amount to rebuy ANOTHER of the same item which would've been at least covered for 2-3 years by the PRP/warranty?

To me, it makes no sense to avoid purchasing one on the larger items, since at least then it's covered and you have a sense of security in that respect. I've seen people mention how they took in their year or two old 360's which were red ringing and swapped them out for the newer elite models with the better heatsinks. They were in and out in 20-30 minutes and didn't have to wait WEEKS to get a replacement or repair from MS.

I don't know about you, but if it's a choice between sending an item into the company it's made by and paying shipping costs AND possible repair costs, I'd rather have just spent that additional $20-50 or whatever and be able to swap the item on the spot for a different one.

But, maybe it's just me??[/quote]

I feel the same way, although I wish I would have done one on my 360, so I could have swapped it for an elite or premium if it died

Indeed. If the extended warranty/protection plan is a real good deal, it's almost stupid to pass it up. Some people think that they are for suckers, because the store selling them rarely has to honor them, but that's the idea. The store makes money, and the consumer gets piece of mind. And sometimes, they get a new product.

bread's done
Back