Walmart price matching print ads til Dec 25 (even after purchase)

wakawakawa

CAGiversary!
Since this relates to print ads which do appear in this forum, I believe this is relevant. It appears if you bought a game on Nov 1st, then someones print black friday ad was cheaper, you could get a gift card for the difference.

The discounter said Monday it will be matching prices on all its products -- even after the purchases are made. Shoppers who buy a product -- whether on its website or in its stores -- from Nov. 1 to Dec. 25 but then find the identical item for less at a rival later will receive a gift card for the price difference. To qualify, shoppers need to bring in the original Wal-Mart receipt and the local competitor's print ad. Gift cards will not be given out after Dec. 25.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/WalMa...28.html?x=0&sec=topStories&pos=4&asset=&ccode=

It's a very useful deal. Thanks for the heads up. Sadly the closest Wal-Mart to me about a 45 minute drive

This could be cool if it pans out. You can buy a game on release date and then just credited the difference when it goes on sale somewhere later on. Yay.

[quote name='Pookymeister']I wonder if this would apply to those 'doorbusters' that stores only have 3 copies of.[/QUOTE]

If they clarify it and they say that it does, I know I will be purchasing all my doorbusters before black friday and PMing tuesday.

[quote name='exaznkid']i have a feeling that they are quite stern on the "print ad" part[/QUOTE]

Print Ads only, excludes a whole host of items (mainly grocery), and excludes typographical errors.

and the Print Ad has to be valid that week. Also does not apply to Black Friday Ads for any store.

I don't remember the other exclusions (I think they're pretty minor anyway), but there should be a sign out in the 'Christmas Shop' with all the fine print on it!

Is this just a time extension to their existing price match terms? Any link to the actual price match terms for this new policy?

This is great if they make it more like BB's PM policy USED to be. Aka, gift cards/bundles are fine. They're really stepping up the competition between this and the pre-order bonuses. BB's slow turn into Gamestop 2.0 might not help it compete here.

You mean only for this price adjustment policy right? Wal-mart has always matched black friday ads when the sales were active.

[quote name='plutoknight']Print Ads only, excludes a whole host of items (mainly grocery), and excludes typographical errors.

and the Print Ad has to be valid that week. Also does not apply to Black Friday Ads for any store.

I don't remember the other exclusions (I think they're pretty minor anyway), but there should be a sign out in the 'Christmas Shop' with all the fine print on it![/QUOTE]

[quote name='xrayzwei']You mean only for this price adjustment policy right? Wal-mart has always matched black friday ads when the sales were active.[/QUOTE]

Far as I know, yes, that rule only applies to this promotion (so no pre-buying then fixing the price on BF/Doorbuster deals).

I would be surprised if there were any restrictions on this. Wal-Mart lets its customers get away with just about anything. Just look at their returns policy. You can basically return anything. Opened, broken, without a receipt, from a different store, etc. The way I see it, they're trying to get your business, so allowing you to price match and then giving the difference in a gift card is just assuring that you'll be coming back to them again. Personally I'd rather have the difference credited back to my account but I understand from a business-sense why they wouldn't do that.

[quote name='metallicoholic']I would be surprised if there were any restrictions on this. Wal-Mart lets its customers get away with just about anything. Just look at their returns policy. You can basically return anything. Opened, broken, without a receipt, from a different store, etc. The way I see it, they're trying to get your business, so allowing you to price match and then giving the difference in a gift card is just assuring that you'll be coming back to them again. Personally I'd rather have the difference credited back to my account but I understand from a business-sense why they wouldn't do that.[/QUOTE]

Depends whether or not the employees care, but both me and my father have returned items without a receipt. And 80% of the time, I have had no problems PMing @ Walmart. That being said, I think they've started caring more recently, and I wouldn't be surprised if there was SOME enforcement on this.

Hmm...if I'm reading the original post correctly I should be able to:

Buy a game let's say I buy Dead Island for $60 on Nov. 1st from Walmart and then when black friday hits we'll say a competitor sells Dead Island for $20. I can get the $40 difference back from Walmart?

Edit: Looks like I'll be scavenging for black friday ads during the madness run. Go shopping on Monday, Tuesday, or Wednesday for the black friday deals. Obviously, I don't expect the really limited quantity door buster type deals to work. Just going after the other deals held on that day.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='buckythekat']didn't Wal-Mart run a whole ad campaign about not requiring ads anymore for price matching? guess that policy didn't last long[/QUOTE]

"Match it."

Time to be a downer (this is from walmartstores.com/pressroom)

*Offer excludes: Black Friday ads, expired ads, offers with Gift Cards, internet pricing, limited time or quantity offers (i.e. 6 hour sales), percentage off ads, bundles, trade-in offers, offers that require a purchase or gift provided with purchase, clearance or ads with typographical errors. The Christmas Price Guarantee does not apply to grocery items, non-branded items (i.e. live plants), tobacco, firearms, gasoline, tires, prescription drugs, optical, or wireless products that require a service agreement.

[quote name='buckythekat']didn't Wal-Mart run a whole ad campaign about not requiring ads anymore for price matching? guess that policy didn't last long[/QUOTE]

Match it promo requires a printed non website ad

During the no ad promo stores actually had ads at the registers

This promo gives you a walmart giftcard of the price difference...happy holidayzzz

[quote name='slppedyoursster']Time to be a downer (this is from walmartstores.com/pressroom)

*Offer excludes: Black Friday ads, expired ads, offers with Gift Cards, internet pricing, limited time or quantity offers (i.e. 6 hour sales), percentage off ads, bundles, trade-in offers, offers that require a purchase or gift provided with purchase, clearance or ads with typographical errors. The Christmas Price Guarantee does not apply to grocery items, non-branded items (i.e. live plants), tobacco, firearms, gasoline, tires, prescription drugs, optical, or wireless products that require a service agreement.[/QUOTE]

Rofl. Why they built this up To be a big thing is beyond me now that I see that release

[quote name='slppedyoursster']Time to be a downer (this is from walmartstores.com/pressroom)

*Offer excludes: Black Friday ads, expired ads, offers with Gift Cards, internet pricing, limited time or quantity offers (i.e. 6 hour sales), percentage off ads, bundles, trade-in offers, offers that require a purchase or gift provided with purchase, clearance or ads with typographical errors. The Christmas Price Guarantee does not apply to grocery items, non-branded items (i.e. live plants), tobacco, firearms, gasoline, tires, prescription drugs, optical, or wireless products that require a service agreement.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for crushing our hopes. :cry:

lol jk thanks for the info though. :bouncy:

I don't get it then. So you buy something from them and if a week later best by has it cheaper they'll give you back the difference? That's it!?

[quote name='eastx']This could be cool if it pans out. You can buy a game on release date and then just credited the difference when it goes on sale somewhere later on. Yay.[/QUOTE]

haha be prepared for people to bitch and complain like when people were buying 3DS systems and then getting the price adjusted later

this is a good deal, i will look into this, usually call of duty goes on sale during christmas so hmmmmmmmmmm it could work out.

so basically, walmart will enforce a price match policy that they've had for years?

oh, and it's a gift card instead of cash back? so it's actually worse?

The thing is with most of the doorbusters, usually they are separate UPCs, bundles, or items custom packaged for that specific store specifically for the purpose of being a black friday doorbuster. So they may deny you a price match on the basis of the item not being exactly the same as the one advertised.

[quote name='Jimmienoman']If they clarify it and they say that it does, I know I will be purchasing all my doorbusters before black friday and PMing tuesday.[/QUOTE]
Thats what I'm thinking. I feel like I'll get screwed on this though, ill have to watch this closely.

Watch 1st post on page 2 of this thread real closely then[quote name='CXK']Thats what I'm thinking. I feel like I'll get screwed on this though, ill have to watch this closely.[/QUOTE]

I think people are missing the big picture. Walmart currently price matches with an ad at the time of purchase. Now you can buy an item on Nov 1 and if the price drops before Christmas you can bring the new add and your receipt and get th difference as a Walmart gift card. I pm at Walmart on a regular basis but it was always at the time of purchase. Were cags allready returning to Walmart 1-2 months later and getting price adjustments?

so....exactly what some of us were expecting :lol:

[quote name='stickyfeet']"Match it."[/QUOTE]

If I had a dime for every time I've said that in conjunction with that totally BS and money-bleeding 'policy' (as a CSM)......I'd be a millionaire. XD

[quote name='panda911']Came in excited. Left disappointed.[/QUOTE]

So, the standard Walmart experience, then.

Has anyone noticed just about all of the printed ad game deals are gift card deals? Making this Wal-mart deal useless. I bought MW3 from them, I've got a around $130 in gift cards with them, so I guess ill have to keep my eye out but I feel like nothing will come of this for most gamers.

[quote name='ChunLiBarbie']Thanks OP!!![/QUOTE]
Read the fine print in the thead, its not as great as it sounds. I was excited too lol.

[quote name='CXK']Read the fine print in the thead, its not as great as it sounds. I was excited too lol.[/QUOTE]

Lmao! Darn, guess I will check later. And, now that I think about it, I may have bought my new all-in-one printer just before Halloween! *blonde moment* and I'm not a blonde. UGH!

So what's the story on Black Friday ads? I know they won't retroactively price adjust to Black Friday, but can I walk in on Black Friday with Best Buy's ad and price match a 3DS?

bread's done
Back